Baiting

Originally Posted By: gonzagaYou can pretty much sum up most everyones feelings around here with this The Predator Masters Logo-"PREDATOR MASTERS.COM-HUNTING THE HUNTER".

Not Predator masters.com-waiting over a pile.

Sorry, I would rather track them down and call them in.
To each their own as to the method. Like deer hunting, some people spot and stalk others wait over a baited area, etc . . I imagine some predator hunters hunt predators for the sport, no problem. Others hunt due to the need to control the population in their given area. Dead predators is the final outcome. Just saying.

How I gt my nick name (Cougar Jim)

I would like to tell you a true story that happened to me and it is how I got my nick name, Cougar Jim.
I live in Oregon where we still have some pretty good hunting, like Elk, Deer, Bear, and Cougar (Mountain Lion)
It was at a place I call my wild place, because it is so remote with lots of wild critters. I was looking for a good
location to put up my tree stand. Archery season for Elk and Deer would soon be open.
I parked my truck on an old gravel road and walked out in the woods about 50 to 75 yards. There was a nice green Meadow about 25 to 30 yards across and about 100 yards long. This is a good place for my stand I thought.
At that time I heard a Deer snort, like something spooked him, but something was wrong, I was down wind of the Deer and standing perfectly still. Just at that time I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.
I could not believe my eyes, on the other side of the meadow and a little to my left was a full grown male Cougar and he was staring straight at me.
I didn't know if I was to scared to move or couldn't move. I thought to myself, What in the sam hill am I going to do now? or better yet what could I do? I have never seen a cougar in the wild but have read a lot about them and one thing I read was not to run. he is what spooked the Deer. He probably thought, I can't get the Deer, so I will take the fat boy. I didn't have any kind of weapon, [beeep] I didn't even have a picture of a weapon on me. I read somewhere that if you shout and wave your arms, that makes you look bigger and would scare the cat off. I guess he didn't read the same book because he came toward me with his ears laid back and snarling. Then I remembered I had a sling shot in my back pocket. You know one of those wrist rockets with steel balls in the handle. Just press a spot on the handle and one of the steel balls will roll out in your hand. "Yea--right" I guess you know that went over like a bob sled on a dirt road. All the steel balls fell out on the ground except three and I had them in my hand. I loaded one of the steel balls and pulled back to full draw and let go. Smack, right in the chest. Can you imagine shooting an Elephant with a spit ball? That was about the same results. He just came closer and went down in a crouch, like he was going to spring on me. I started backing up slowly. Every time I would put some ground between us he would rise and come closer, then go back into a crouch. I looked desperately for a stick or rock but could not find anything to fend him off.
I was backing towards my truck. If I could get close enough, maybe I could beat him to my truck. I hit him two more times with the sling shot. He would jump but act more determined. When I got about ten yards from my truck I thought I could probably beat him now. Just as I turned to run, I heard the Cougar coming at full speed. At the same time a terrible thought entered my mind. I was coming up on the passenger side of my truck. Did I lock that door? If that door is locked I am cat food. Then I made the decision that I am convinced that saved my life. I did not take a chance on the door being locked or not. Instead I went for the other side. I went in front of my truck and when I made the sharp turn to get to the door, the Cougar was reaching for me. Because of his speed and momentum he could not make the sharp turn and slid all the way across the gravel road, leaving claw marks, trying to get back at me. I got in the truck with about a second to spare.
When I closed the door, he was sitting outside looking up at me. He had a look on his face like, oh well, you win some and you loose some.
When I finally calmed down I realized my hand was bleeding. Did he get me with those sharp claws? or did I jamb my hand in the door trying to get in so quick? I can not remember. I lowered the window about two inches because I had something to say to the little kitty. I said, and you can quote me. Waite right here you #%^(&@ and I will go home and get my gun and blow your @#$%^^* head off. I hunted that cat for three years but I haven't found him YET.

Last edited:
That's a hellofuh way to get a nickname! They are interesting critters. I've been fortunate enough to see several big cats, just never had the opportunity to lay the hammer down on one. I've seen 5 in the Clockumn unit above Ellensburg Wa while scouting/archery hunting for elk, and 1 really really big cat in the Blue Mountains on the Tucannon River down by the eastern Oregon/Washington border while hunting whitetails. Would love to shoot one someday. Great story, I bet you had to go change your underpants, and that you stopped going out in the woods armed with only a slingshot!

Oh Jim, what a great story and a well deserved nickname. Do you still hunt in that same area you had the encounter? Sounds like you do. And sounds like that lion is on your personal #hit list.

Yeah GG I still look for that Cougar. One day I will find him if I live long enough.

The man that gave me the nick name was the owner of the local Archery shop. He gave me a life size poster of a cougar and drew a picture of a little man running like h#ll in front of the cougar and wrote Cougar Jim at the bottom of the picture.

Jim

That is one heck of a story CougarJim, I would say you have some Big Cojones. Glad he missed you too.

NMLeon, I wasn't nocking any form of hunting. I agree if it is legal, by all means do it and good luck doing it too. I wish everyone nothing but good luck pursuing any prey that they desire. Heck I am just happy to see people keeping the hunting sports alive. Sorry if I came accross as bashing it, I wasn't.

Originally Posted By: nmleonPredator Masters position is that if it's a legal form of hunting...don't knock it. Sir I thank you for your comment! Could we please have this Thread made into a Sticky PLEASE. And we thank you for your support!
thumbup.gif

I don't track,stalk, Yotes as much as I used to 'cause my knees are slowly going out on me, due to past injuries, so I do bait dogs some, mainly because I enjoy hunting them so even though my 38 year old body feels like 78. Looking back I often wish I'd lived a little slower when I was younger, and not treated my existance with so little respect, but I DID HAVE FUN.

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: nmleonPredator Masters position is that if it's a legal form of hunting...don't knock it. Sir I thank you for your comment! Could we please have this Thread made into a Sticky PLEASE. And we thank you for your support!
thumbup.gif

I just sent a request to the PM administration asking them to please make this a sticky.

Did any of your guys (and lady) see anything last night or this morning? My bait alarm went off about 4 times during the night. The skunk was back and a couple different dogs but no coyotes at bait #1. I hate to shoot that skunk when it is only 100 yards from the house but I think if I see it again I am going to bust a cap on him and take a chance on stink.

Checked the trail cam on bait #2 this morning and it ad one farm dog and one coyote on it. Just got the tail end of the coyote as he was leaving. I need to freshen the bait at that location today and will probably take a motion alarm and sit there tonight or very early in the morning. It was 5:05 am when the coyote was at that bait this morning.

Well... In less than 30 days, obtaining over 250 posts on this forum, I can certainly attest to the potential of this topic as at the minimum a sticky, if not it's own dedicated category. Ladies and gents, if you don't appreciate the potential of hunting over bait you are definitely missing out on a big portion of putting fur on the ground. If you want to maximize your success every year you must obtain/master the skills of every successful technique here.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressOriginally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: nmleonPredator Masters position is that if it's a legal form of hunting...don't knock it. Sir I thank you for your comment! Could we please have this Thread made into a Sticky PLEASE. And we thank you for your support!
thumbup.gif

I just sent a request to the PM administration asking them to please make this a sticky.

Received reply from admin. on my request for making this a sticky. In short, we will not be getting a sticky or sub forum for baiting discussions. In their opinion, it is not needed.

jid- thanks for at least trying to get this topic noted on PM. We all can just keep using the original post that Jim made, though a sticky would have been nice to have.
Did not hunt last night . . it rained. Checked cameras this morning and one pix of the resident red fox showing up at 4:30am. The other camera stopped working which does not make me a happy camper since this is the second time this has happened. Bought a Primos TruthCam 60 earlier in the season which malfunctioned so I sent it back to Primos and they replaced it with this one, which is now not working.
cursing.gif
I will call the company tomorrow and explain what has happened. The camera is great when it works but right now this is getting a little rediculous. Seriously considering going with another brand
unsure.gif

i am updating on my baiting this winter. i awoke this morning to rain and fog, 42 degrees.i checked my row baitpile which i can view from my driveway. i position my work truck when i park so that if i pull the passenger side mirror out to full extension i can use it as a shooting rest. well it worked like a charm. there was a small coyote on the bait, the shot was around 275 yards. the 55 grain ballistic tip fired out of my savage weather warrior in .243 struck perfectly in the ribs. he broncoed about 20 yards and ran out of gas. it was a hard shot through the fog blowing in and out, but it worked.

125_1011.jpg

here is a pic of me looking at the baitpile.

125_1006.jpg

here is a pic of the coyote point of view.

125_1008.jpg

pic of the retrieved coyote and impact site.

125_1007.jpg

Last edited:
Great pic's..from the looks of the last pic. That dog was "one hurting unit"......you just saved 1.5 springtime fawns. That will now grow up for you to harvest."Got 'er done"!

You've just been promoted to "Greenmountainman"!

Last edited:
greenmountainboy,
Good job!!! Good pictures too! I really like using deer ribs in below freezing weather. The bones in them are small and tender enough that they will feed on them even when they are frozen solid.

I love those foggy morning for hunting, especially calling.

Back