Baiting

Jim,
That is how that one was built. That old shack is about 15 years old and has set in the same spot all that time. A friend of mine originally built it to deer hunt out of. He built it in 4 separate panels and then the roof. He pulled it in there on a sled and bolted it together on location. It is built out of plywood but was getting so weathered that I wrapped it with a black plastic tarp this winter.

I used to spend a lot of time brushing in my blinds to make them blend in but over the years I have found that if they have been in place for a few weeks the coyotes don't pay any attention to them.

That one is about 4ft. square and about 5 ft. tall. I have killed a lot of coyotes out of it over the years.

Here is another one that I have at the edge of one of my CRP fields. This one is a little bigger and tall enough to stand up in. It has shooting windows on three sides of it. The windows are made of plexiglass and slide to open. It also has solid doors that fold down over the shooting windows and they are closed in the picture.

The taller building is nice because it gives you room to stand up and stretch, remove your jacket, etc. A small propane heater easily heats it.

crp-shack.jpg

My plans for this summer are to build a hunting shack / camper modeled after the old sheepherder wagons. I will build it on a set of wagon running gears so it can be moved with a tractor or pickup truck. It will serve as a deer camp and then later in winter be used as a coyote hunting shack where I will have heat and room to spend the night comfortably.

Something like this is what I have in mind. I have a portable saw mill so the lumber cost won't be much.
http://www.oldwesternwagons.com/sheepwagonownensbororunninggear.html

Sat tonight on my bait pile, nothing showed, very quiet, no howling, have some tracks but they are either bobcat or fox couldn't really tell with a slight dusting of snow filling them in, no nail marks in the foot prints but the snow filled in most of the tracks.

Jackindistress,

That's a neat shack, something on the order of what I want. I currently have a pop-up bind set up, but I want a more permanent one. Maybe I will build a shack of some kind, complete with heater, and sit back and relax while watching.

6mm06,
Those pop up blinds are nice too. I have deer hunted deer and coyote out of them quite a bit also. The advantage to them is that they are quick and easy to move. A buddy of mine turkey hunts out of the pop up blinds with bow and arrow and he says a little propane heater keeps them really comfortable. He has killed a lot of turkeys out of them.

Baiting question. Can i drive my snowmobile right up to the bait site, dump bait, and leave? If so, will they not touch it for a few days, or once its established will they not really care?

Wihunter,
When you first put it out they may not touch it for a few days but once you get them coming you should be ok with using a snow machine to bring in more bait. I haul mine in on an ATV or the tractor. You will leave less human scent that way and motorized equipment smells don't usually bother them as much as human footprint odor.

If you have deep snow, use your sled to make some "roads" that lead in to the bait. They will use these to avoid having to travel through the deep snow. When we get 7 or 8 inches of new snow I drag and old truck tire behind my ATV to plow travel lanes for them. If you make these where they normally travel you can set up some good ambush spots. It also makes it quieter and easier for you to approach your stand.

I have made a couple Blinds using 2x2s,Marine plywood for the floor,1/4 chip board,roll roofing for roof. Made the frame 2'on center and used that 2" thick Styrofoam ins. Makes it quite inside and warm. Oh dont forget a peice of old carpet on floor.
smile.gif

Jim: hope you get your Cam working!
confused.gif
Oh! if you have a heater make shur you got some venting,Dont want anything bad to happen
ohmy.gif
............Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff,

Sounds like you had most of the comforts of home. But hey, if you are going to sit there for extended periods of time, why not be comfortable, right?

I have been formulating a plan in my mind of a blind I wish to build, a permanent one and similar to yours. Would be a nice project.

Question,

What is a good, cheap sensor that works well? Mine will need to be about 130 - 150 yards or so from the blind. No electricity, so it will have to be battery powered.

Bump, bump. It's too rainy and windy for the hunting to be much good here today. Brought my trail cam in yesterday to charge the battery and didn't get it put back out yet.

Temps. are supposed to be in the 50's here the next few days. Should be enough to thaw out some of the bait and make hunting a little better.

Somebody post some more pictures !!!!!

Good bump. Had to dig for these . . . this is one of my stands. It is 3x5x6 and about 10-11' off the ground. It was moved from its original location to the one shown in the photo. Straped it to the bucket of the Kabota tractor and moved it from one of the front fields to the back field . . . in the dark, but that's a whole 'nother story.
0711090946a.jpg

Sorry, this video is poor; it was taken with my cell phone. This is another stand that I built like the other one in my last post 3x5x6 but it is 16' from ground to floor. I disassembled this one this fall and have plans to relocate it to another part of the farm.

Nice stand. Seems like there is always that limb that you thought was a little higher until you try to get under it with the loader. I've had a few experiences or maybe I should say escapades doing that.

Originally Posted By: THEGUIDEOriginally Posted By: Cougar Jim I also ordered a driveway sensor that will let me know when anything is near the bait.
Jim

Jim,
My hunting camp is 3 miles back in the woods and I use a Chamberlain Driveway Alarm
http://infiniteelectronix.com/chamberlainrwa300rwirelesspedestrianandvehiclealert.aspx
I have 4 sensors hooked up overlooking the bait pile and the range is great! The reason I have 4 sensors is I bait on a brook in front of my camp and the coyotes run the brook and this just gives me more time to get upstairs and make the shot. The only recommendations are to use NiMH rechargeable batteries they seem to work a lot better in cold weather. They are pricy but work the entire season with just 2 charges. The reason I bait is when the weather is bad I can still snowmobile into my camp and hunt over bait. In the luxery of a warm camp and a cold drink I mite add
smile.gif

11-11-2007011.jpg

CAMP1-1-2008001.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

THIS PHOTO OF A COYOTE APPROACHING THE BAIT WAS TAKEN THROUGH MY GEN3 NIGHT VISION. THE CAMERA DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO WHAT IT LOOK LIKE IN REAL-TIME. BY THE WAY THE COYOTE WAS DEAD ABOUT A MINUET AFTER THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN
cool.gif

4656_87709471764_669976764_2329591_.jpg

now thats how you do it right there!!!

Originally Posted By: gobblergetter
Good bump. Had to dig for these . . . this is one of my stands. It is 3x5x6 and about 10-11' off the ground. It was moved from its original location to the one shown in the photo. Straped it to the bucket of the Kabota tractor and moved it from one of the front fields to the back field . . . in the dark, but that's a whole 'nother story.
0711090946a.jpg
I like it! Bet you do well in that Blind
drool.gif
thumbup.gif

my buddy sets up the little solar powered motion sensor lights at his bait. Soon as he sees the light turn on he knows theres something at the bait. He just watches from his house. Soon as the lights on, he knows someone is home
lol.gif
thumbup.gif

Back