Baiting

Well last night I had two skunks and two fox on my bait,at the same time.
I turned my Truth 60 cam to Video today, so we will see what happens.

Jim

My first videos with the Truth Cam 60 was too grainy, So I upped the res to 60 leds. Maybe that will be better. How do you guys run yours? High or low Res?

Jim

I run my Bushnell on Hight at 5MP
smile.gif

A real man never runs anything new on low for the first time! We turn it to 11. Just to see what will happen...

come on Jim, your slippin'.....Lol

I got another one off one of my bait sites last night. She came in and grabbed a chunk of meat and took off with it but stopped to look back when I lit her up with the XLR250. 50 grain V-max out of the .223 dropped her DRT.

12-27.jpg

12-27-1.jpg

My alarm went off a couple nights ago and when I lit up the bait there was nothing there so since there was fresh snow on I decided to walk out and check the area to see what had triggered it. There was a pair of Coyote tracks where they had came past the bait and did a quick look but didn't stop to eat. It has been so cold that most of it is frozen solid and all there was left was big pieces. I have some bait icicles frozen but have been saving them for another spot, so yesterday morning I chopped up some smaller pieces that they could eat easier frozen and put them out.

That one makes it number 3 from that bait this month.

Last edited:
Here is one of my shooting shacks at my cow pasture bait site.

pasture-shack1.jpg

This one is looking back towards the shack from the bait. Something has been taking bait at this site but I haven't been able to catch anything there so I set up a trail camera on it yesterday.

pasture-shack2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim My first videos with the Truth Cam 60 was too grainy, So I upped the res to 60 leds. Maybe that will be better. How do you guys run yours? High or low Res?

Jim
I run mine on high . . . eats up the battery more and uses more space on the SD card but your vids come out looking pretty good, I think.

I just put out a whole deer, less the head, to see if I can get any to come in. A friend shot a good buck a couple weeks ago and never found it. He told me how good the shot was and where the deer went down, but when he got across the creek it was gone. I told him it wasn't hit as good as he thought.
Well yesterday evening a buck came by and he shot it right, double lung, it went about 100 yards and stopped. Well panic set in and he shot it in the azz while standing there. Off it went again and again no luck finding him. So this morning he started looking for him and eventually found him with no blood trail even after the 7mm mag through the lungs.
We found where he hit him before and he was dying on his feet. Any where you drug the deer, there was a solid trail of hair and he smelled really really bad. The hair was coming off like it was a week old hide that had been laying out in the weather.
It was a shame because it was a big 9 point with lots of mass all the way out.
He kept the head for a euro mount and gave me the body for bait.

Shayne

Well I had the Truth cam 60 on high sensing and 60 leds.
Not one video but moor tracks than I have ever seen around my bait. What the he#l? Maybe my batteries is weak already?
But when I changed the card this morning it shot a video of me?

Jim

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim Well I had the Truth cam 60 on high sensing and 60 leds.
Not one video but moor tracks than I have ever seen around my bait. What the he#l? Maybe my batteries is weak already?
But when I changed the card this morning it shot a video of me?

Jim
Jim- Mine did that earlier in the week, but it was my SD card that went bad. The screen inside should be telling you how much % is left on your batteries. Hmmm . . . I don't know?

Excellent thread guys. I've just started baiting coyotes here since last year I seen the amount of coyotes that killing deer behind my house last winter. They are back in full force again this year, found one fawn dead so far. Its not legal to night hunt here (some of you guys set ups are AWESOME!) but they always come right at dark and random times during the day. I'm going to try the "Pressure Baiting" technique and see how it goes.

Jim,
One of my cameras has a setting option on video to only shoot video in daylight. I don't know if yours has that but might be something to check since it worked this morning. One of mine didn't go off the other morning when I checked it and I thought something was wrong with it so I brought it in and checked it. Seemed to be working OK after I got to the house with it so I put it back out and it had pictures on it this morning. It was about 10 above the morning that it wouldn't work so I guess it was just too cold for it.

It is an older camera though. I need to upgrade to a couple newer cameras.

Hey jackindistress That's a good looking shack. I've been thinking about building one like that for portability. Just use some leg bolts and screw and unscrew it with a cordless drill and make it where it will fit into the back of my pickup.

Jim

Back