Baiting

Have any of you guys made Baitsicles out of a gut pile. I shot a doe last night and happen to have a 5 gallon pail in the back of the truck so I scooped up the gutpile, just about fills the pail.

I plan on using what is left of the carcass and any others I can get my hands on to set up a bait site. Once it is cleaned out (without hunting over it) I plan on using baitsicles.

Thanks

Ryan

Sounds like a good plan Ryan. Let us know how things go with some pictures.
I believe the gut sickle will work.

Jim

Last edited:
I did it works just the same as the meat scraps. the main purpose of freezing it in a bucket is making it so they cant just pick it up and run away with it. Those suckers are kinda heavy once they are frozen.

Good to hear, I just got done watering mine and while I was in the shed a buddy called and asked me if I wanted the bucket of guts he just grabbed from the doe he helped a buddy with tonight.
Our hunting camp is going to be the perfect spot for a couple of baits, we have a major coyote problem and our deer #s are way down. Just gotta wait now.........

Deer carcasses are not going to be much of a problem for bait......I work for the Road Commission.

Ryan

YES>>>>

my bait pile got tore up, what appears to be 3 different yotes hit it 3 days in a row. Pics will come as soon as my buddy uploads them.

They ate almost a whole gut pile, 3/4 of a bait bucket, and stripped the bones clean on a dear carcas. day time and night time there was no real pattern to them coming through and hitting it.

Going to drop off another baitcicle this afternoon. Then i have to start thinking of how I am going to get more meat for bait. Very few road killed deer this year.

the first thing they are dragging off is the gutsicle. second is the carcas, 3rd is the baitcicle made with deer meat.

162999_554525320167_51602891_32275595_2054215_n.jpg

63410_554525340127_51602891_32275597_849427_n.jpg

164573_554525380047_51602891_32275600_5745381_n.jpg

164094_554525414977_51602891_32275603_4377899_n.jpg

My next baitcicle is more deer meat, mixed with pheasant guts/scraps

Last edited:
Male w\female laying it down. These guy's are mos 'def on the Hit list....I have taken great measure, to make them feel at home. Maybe this Holiday weekend we'll have a party!

A "Brush Mutt Makeover" party.....

I'll invite a taxidermist friend of mine. He's good at makeover's........30 sec vid(click)

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the comments and pictures on this thread. I have learned a lot.
Maybe we will not get a forum on baiting but maybe we can at least get a sticky out of it.
Sticky,Sticky,Sticky.

Jim

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeff VYES>>>>

my bait pile got tore up, what appears to be 3 different yotes hit it 3 days in a row. Pics will come as soon as my buddy uploads them.

They ate almost a whole gut pile, 3/4 of a bait bucket, and stripped the bones clean on a dear carcas. day time and night time there was no real pattern to them coming through and hitting it.

Going to drop off another baitcicle this afternoon. Then i have to start thinking of how I am going to get more meat for bait. Very few road killed deer this year. Try the Butcher for Deer Trimings and Beef Trimings. Also before you Freaze it put a 2" PVC Pipe 20"Long W/Cap in the Middle of the meat and slip it onto a Half a metal fence post. It will stay there.
smile.gif
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim Hey guys, I really appreciate all the comments and pictures on this thread. I have learned a lot.
Maybe we will not get a forum on baiting but maybe we can at least get a sticky out of it.
Sticky,Sticky,Sticky.

Jim I agree,MR Moderator please make this a Sticky!
thumbup.gif

The battle of the Skunk and the Fox.

Fox being very cautious.

PRMS0010.jpg
The battle of the skunk and the Fox.

Fox sneaking a bite but very careful.

PRMS0009.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks gyes, I had to set the cam on high sensitivity to pick up small animals. On low it would not pick up anything except Deer and me. HA HA

Jim

Yea Jim..Turn that to vid mode. I was going to purchase a Truthcam 60. But mine is working fine. But I do want to see Primos vid capability......

Newest Future victim at my house. This guy woke me up twice last night. I was just too tired to get out of bed to go shoot him. Sad 'aint it??? Work wears you down soo much, you can't get out of bed....

Back