Baiting

That's the way to go Jeff. I have a driveway sensor on my bait pile. I just sit and watch TV in the house until the buzzer goes off then run out and see what's there. I am waiting on a Bobcat.

Jim

yeah I wish I could do that but where I have my bait pile I need to drive, its like 5 miles from my house. So ill just be sitting and waiting in the blind.

Nice Vid Gobblergetter! I love Reds
smile.gif

More hawks and crows. I'm not even gettin coons on the bait pile. Yote tracks everywhere when I was pheasant hunting yesterday though.

Didn't get anything on my bait last night, not even a Skunk. I've got a popsicle out now with sardines,mackerel,
and other table scraps in it.

Maybe the full moon has something to do with it?

Jim

I think the [beeep] rooster pheasant that they got had something to do with not wanting my frozen meat. Nothing hurts more than knowing a coyote can get a rooster but me another guy a dog and 2 shotguns couldn't haha

Originally Posted By: Jeff VI think the [beeep] rooster pheasant that they got had something to do with not wanting my frozen meat. Nothing hurts more than knowing a coyote can get a rooster but me another guy a dog and 2 shotguns couldn't haha

I was drinking a coke and almost spit it out on my screen. That's funny Jeff.

Jim

Jeff I was reading your signature,I know what you mean. With all the ammo and black powder I have, If my house caught on fire, I would run like [beeep],cause you ain't never seen no fireworks like you are going to see.

Jim

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

My new hunting spot is not as elaborate as yours or as THEGUIDE'S, but it will work.

This one is set up on the family farm. Cattle destroyed a brand new blind recently, so I had to do a bit of fencing to keep them out. The briar patch behind the blind acts as a backing, so I fenced the front part. I Purchased a new blind, an Ameristep Doghouse which is plenty big enough.

Hopefully this will produce before the winter is over. Shots can be close to 200 yards at the furthest end of the field.

I have called and taken a bobcat, fox and coyote from the briar patch in past years. There are also fox in the area and some fresh tracks in the snow, but can't shoot them over bait, only coyotes.

Thought I would show you my new hunting spot.

David

01-6.jpg

02-5.jpg

03-5.jpg

05-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

6mm06,

I like your blind setup.

I hunt on our own ranch and would have the same cattle issues if I owned a blind ..... (and I've been contemplating it).

I don't know if you can drop your fence to some extent or if you luck is like mine but every time I look trough a scope ... there's a barbed wire between me and some varmint ... usually a gray digger .....

In case you don't have way to drop your wires easily .... there is an easy way to do it.

Basically, you take two staples and turn them 90 degrees to the wire at it's location ... one above where you want the wire to fasten to the post and the other below. Drive them in to the point where you have room for the wire to sit between them ..... and then place a nail in as a "pin" to hold the wire in place ... when you want to use the blind ... you just pull the nails and do whatever else you need to with the wires to get them below the line of fire (weight them down etc.).

This technique is used by ranchers with elk tearing down fences and they'll treat their top wires this way for winter.

Enjoy

Three 44s

Last edited:
Three44s,

Thanks for the information. That is interesting and good to know.

Actually, the blind is on a hillside, so the wire is not in the way at all. It may look that way in the photo. When I'm sitting in the blind, I can see the top of one post, but it isn't in the way of any potential shots, so it worked out pretty good.

Back in the summer my son took the tractor with a backhoe and dug the hillside a bit to level up a place for a blind. The blind is relatively level, and the fence is beneath my shooting lanes.

This has been a good area for shooting over a period of time. Here is a photo of the view from the blind area, and notes on where I have taken various animals and crows. Before setting up the blind, I would sit in front of the briar patch, having it as a background.

Favoritehuntingplace.jpg

He he. Yea, you are welcome to come sit in the blind with me, Three 44s. You be the shooter and I'll be the camera man.

Only problem is, all those critters were taken over a period of a few years. Would be good if it were in one season.

I'll be sitting quite a bit and drinking a lot of coffee probably. Predators, especially coyotes, don't come easy here.

My dad had previously wanted to cut down that briar patch. I said "no way, that's my hunting spot," so the briar patch remains.

Back