Baiting

Had this little guy show up on camera a couple of times just before our snow. Going to check game cams today to see if anything was moving about, though tracks will tell me that. I hunted one pile last night for 2 hrs. and not a critter was stirring, not even a . . . well, you know the rest! By the way this is a short video clip

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dannykChecked two of my baits yesterday, ravens and one red squirrel is all, absolutly no coyote or fox tracks at either one. Some of the people I have talked to have said the same thing, not even hearing any being vocal. Give it time "They will come"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Nice Clip Gobblergetter,is that with IR?
smile.gif

Yes, IR. If I get any descent vids on the Truth Cam, I'll post some tomorrow.
That fox came into the bait tonight around 11:30. I had the x-hairs on it, pulled the trigger and "click"-a misfire. All I could do was sit and watch it walk around the field. Maybe tomorrow night I'll have better luck.

I found a dead buck, less his head gear, deep in. The rump roast has been eaten on, watch over it from around 150 yds, for two days. Wee hours in the mornings until 11 am and from 4 pm until 8 pm. Too much moonlight and I'm pooped!

I have a question. There is a skunk coming to my bait, If I shoot him and he sprays the bait site, will that keep the predators away? Or just the fact that the skunk is there, will that keep them away?

Jim

I don't think the skunk is going to bother the predators any. I would rather have him visit and leave in a couple of minutes than shoot him and have the stink stay for a long time. I had one come into my bait the other night and I let him go. He didn't stick around very long.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressI don't think the skunk is going to bother the predators any. I would rather have him visit and leave in a couple of minutes than shoot him and have the stink stay for a long time. I had one come into my bait the other night and I let him go. He didn't stick around very long.

Thanks Jackindistress, I almost shot him last night but it started snowing really hard just before I pulled the trigger,then I couldn't see him. Glad I didn't.

Jim

That is a Wildgame Innovations X6c. Set on 30 second vid mode. Has the external Battery pack so it will shoot for months. It is set 6 feet off the ground.

002-3.jpg

Also, there is a Dakota Alert(driveway doorbell),hung up with it. Works well..Yes they cost $170 pesos..but I needed the 2 mile range. It has the remote receiver with it. So I can take it with me anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim I have a question. There is a skunk coming to my bait, If I shoot him and he sprays the bait site, will that keep the predators away? Or just the fact that the skunk is there, will that keep them away?

Jim

Jim- I shoot every one that comes in and yeah, it stinks the site up but with snows and rain will weaken the odor. One night I shot a skunk on bait and it wasn't maybe 30 min. there were fox in right after. Shoot a skunk and save a nest of turkey eggs! A predator is a predator.

Here is some pictures of my shooting station.
This is my shooting window. The fence is my property line. I have millions of acres to hunt on from there, It belongs to US timber lands.no permit required.There is nothing but wilderness for 20 miles.
Miscforsale006.jpg

This is the view I have from my shooting station. bait pile is 63 yds straight ahead.
Miscforsale014.jpg

This is inside my shooting station. I have an electric and a propane heater to keep warm.
Miscforsale010.jpg

that is a nice hut. I think im going to build one on top of the hay rack I night hunt off of. get a little mr. heater and sit and wait

Back