Drying boards (2)

predator3030

i am going to make my own drying boards to stretch and dry my coyotes that i kill, can anybody tell me about how wide and long i should make them?

------------------
"Live long and Die hard"
"The world is full of stupid people"

I'd suggest ordering a wood stretcher and then copying it.
Might I throw in...I think you'd be happier with the results of wire stretchers. They fit a wider range of canine sizes while keeping constant pressure on the hide. Wood stretchers are only going to fit what your able to get on it.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

This is a picture of the kind of fur stretcher I have. The long boards are 1 x 2" boards, kinda rounded at the top, and about 5 foot long. The bottom board is another piece anout 1 1/2' long. The top is held together with a piece of heavy-duty material (leather, or GOOD denim, you want it to last) stapled on to each board with 3/4 inch industrial staples. with about 1/3 inch between the wood, so they're held together, but not against each other. You slide the fur down as far on the frame as it will go (until the face is on the part where it comes together) and then you pull the bottom boards apart until the fur is taught, then tack the bottom boad in place with a nail in each board. I use a large-headed nail so it comes out easy. I also use small thumb tacks to tack the lips around the tip of the boards, where they come together (after I've turned them right-side out) so that they don't roll back and dry wierd. Each stretcher should cost you less than $5 in materials, and once you've got all the stuff, take less than 5 minutes to build. They work fine, and just about any mid-size fur bearer can be done on them, otter, fox, coyote, bobcat, etc. (honestly, it took me longer to draw it then it does to build them
biggrin.gif
)
m2326.jpg

NAFA has two size recommendations for coyote stretcher boards:
small (under 36" long)& large (over 36" long)
(all width measurements are at a distance
from the tip {nose} of the board.)

3 1/2" wide @ 3" 4" wide @ 3"
4 1/2" wide @ 5" 5 1/8" wide @ 5"
5 1/2" wide @ 7 1/2" 6" wide @ 7 1/2"
6 1/4" wide @ 12" 6 3/4" wide @ 12"
6 5/8" wide @ 17" 7 1/4" wide @ 17"
7 1/2" wide @ 39" 9" wide @ 39"
7 1/2" wide @ 72" 9" wide @ 72"
(small) (large)
Thickness for both size stretchers are 1/2" or 5/8" thick.

A tapered belly board is required for solid boards (no center cut air pockets), 1 1/2" maximum width tapering to 1/2" at the tip with a length of 42".

These boards can also be used for lynx and wolverine.

Predator3030, hope this helps, these stretchers can also be adjustable made from split boards that open no more than the large measurements shown, similar to BadMedicine's sketch. Great sketch BadMedicine! No belly board is required with the adjustable stretcher.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Yeah RR, only the leg is probably longer on my actually stretchers too, I *eyeball* 'em
tongue.gif
smile.gif

I forgot to mention that you can use a bent hanger through the leather part to hang them off the ground, if you've got dogs around or whatever. I usually just lean it against the wall.

thanks, i went out and got the materials to make the 'one size fits all' design. thanks for your help!

------------------
"Live long and Die hard"
"The world is full of stupid people"

Back