Baiting

I took the largest roast out there and laid it down. I'm pretty sure nothing will find it tonight but I might be suprsied.

I will try to split the rest up evenly over the next few nights and try to get lucky.

Reckon I should do any type of calling at all or just be quiet each night and sit and wait?

deer season is over here in the nek, so baiting for coyotes is now my priority. i just went to the local deer processor and obtained about 200 gallons of deer renderings and some caribou and deer hides. the renderings are now in various buckets and tubs filled with hot water waiting for the weather to turn cold again so they will freeze.the hides have worked well in the past, i have shot several coyotes as they chew and drag the frozen hides around.
i have used beef, moose and poultry, but i have found that coyotes do not like pork-pigs. they will feed on the guts, but will not return to the emptied carcass, even the renderings do not keep them coming back.i have also used calves that died on a neighboring farm, but the results are not as good as the deer parts and hides. when the weather turns really cold they will come. good luck to all, lets keep sharing our baiting info and results posted, thanks for your time.i love this site.

Put a Trail cam on it Jim. That will also give you an Idea what time the are eating.
smile.gif

Yeah I have a trail Cam I am going to put out, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am still working on my blind and lights. I finally got my XLR 250 kill light. Man is this thing a powerful red led light. I found that if I put it under the barrel there is no glare in the scope.

Jim

Last edited:
Be careful of it wrecking your accuracy. Things on the barrel will screw with your accuracy, sometimes not bad, sometimes a lot. Just saying...

Something took the bait I put out last night betwen 8 something this morning and lunch time. It was there when I left for work and gone when I came in for lunch. (I live pretty close to work so I can come home on break) It was a really large roast I had cut out for Christmas time, so I know it took something with a little bit of size to it to drag it off. I don't think a hawk could have flown off with it. I need a trail camera...

I tried my light in different position mounted on the scope and under the barrel and I can see better with it under the gun. I put the clamp as close as I could to the end of the forend and wrapped a layer of tape around the barrel to help keep it from getting scratched. I checked my groups after mounting it and it didn't affect the accuracy or point of impact out to 200 yards. The gun I have it on is not my primary calling gun so it won't get used much past 100 yards anyway.

hsracer201, it sounds like you might have a stray dog around there. If you have your bait there by your house, put a ding-donger on it so you will know when something hits it during the night.

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimI don't believe it will affect accuracy if you don't over tighten it.

Jim

Sir, if you are at all familiar with barrel harmonics you will know that ANY influence on a barrel can cause accuracy problems. That's why folks free float barrels. A barrel oscilates as a round travels down the pipe. Anything that affects this movement by slowing it down or throwing it off balance can shift your POI.

I'm not saying it WILL wreck your groups, but there is chance that it can. It's always good to check and see. That's all.

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress

hsracer201, it sounds like you might have a stray dog around there. If you have your bait there by your house, put a ding-donger on it so you will know when something hits it during the night.

Possibly. I haven't seen any stray dogs around and I'm in and out several times a day and I hunted here a LOT during deer season. I've never seen a stray and none of my close neighbors even have a loose dog. Not to say it couldn't happen at all, but I do hear the coyotes at night and during deer season they drag off the deer caracasses really quickly. I saw them doing it one night in my headlights. They are here.

Last edited:
Well I found out tonight what is hitting my bait every night.
I finally got my sensor and put it up today and it went off while I was eating dinner.
When I went out to my blind and put the red led light on the bait, there was 3 Fox running all around the bait.
I didn't shoot one because I want a Bobcat. I had the cross hairs on one at 63 yds but I didn't shoot.
I didn't feel like skinning a fox tonight, besides Fox pelts is not worth it.

Jim

Originally Posted By: hsracer201Be careful of it wrecking your accuracy. Things on the barrel will screw with your accuracy, sometimes not bad, sometimes a lot. Just saying...

Something took the bait I put out last night betwen 8 something this morning and lunch time. It was there when I left for work and gone when I came in for lunch. (I live pretty close to work so I can come home on break) It was a really large roast I had cut out for Christmas time, so I know it took something with a little bit of size to it to drag it off. I don't think a hawk could have flown off with it. I need a trail camera...

Gets your juices flowin dont it "Whats out there"
ohmy.gif

You can bait for coyotes but you can not use game meat as far as I know. I read all the regs when I got my fer takers hunting licens and Bobcat tags. there is no regs for coyotes, open all year and no bag limit.

Jim

Yeah we ditched that. There was a gut pile under it when it was warmer so they couldn't just walk off with it we had a bunch of the guts hangin out of it. Coons picked that clean and I started thinkin the same thing so we took it outa there.

Went out tonight and it was snowing. Couldn't see through the scope, just two eyes at the bait. Suppose to snow all night. Maybe tomorrow.

Jim

Well something took my bait again.

So, I went out tonight and bought a trail camera and set it up on top of fresh bait. Hopefully I can see what's doing it.

I also got a piece of chain and a ground stake for securing a meatsicle. If I can't get it in a tree I will stake it to the ground.

Went to Lowes looking for a motion sensored wireless driveway monitor but they didn't have any. Might just have to order one from online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cougar JimWell I found out tonight what is hitting my bait every night.
I finally got my sensor and put it up today and it went off while I was eating dinner.
When I went out to my blind and put the red led light on the bait, there was 3 Fox running all around the bait.
I didn't shoot one because I want a Bobcat. I had the cross hairs on one at 63 yds but I didn't shoot.
I didn't feel like skinning a fox tonight, besides Fox pelts is not worth it.

Jim
Jim- Just wondering where they reds or greys?

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimYou can bait for coyotes but you can not use game meat as far as I know. I read all the regs when I got my fer takers hunting licens and Bobcat tags. there is no regs for coyotes, open all year and no bag limit.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I guess that will make things a bit easier. The lack of info in this state for yotes always is a head scratcher for me. Baiting calling should be a great combo. I would imagine a varmit/rabbit/rodent squeel would work good in combo with the smell of meat.

Originally Posted By: hsracer201Well something took my bait again.

So, I went out tonight and bought a trail camera and set it up on top of fresh bait. Hopefully I can see what's doing it.

I also got a piece of chain and a ground stake for securing a meatsicle. If I can't get it in a tree I will stake it to the ground.

Went to Lowes looking for a motion sensored wireless driveway monitor but they didn't have any. Might just have to order one from online. www.Hunteralert.com Good Luck!
smile.gif

Back