Fur Tip #2 (Thawing hides)

River Runner

This is usually the time of year folks start looking at the furs that have collected in the freezers over the winter and begin thinking about having something done with them.
Most folks will skin thier critters at the end of the hunt, some do it in the field. And when we're done we roll them up, put them in a plastic bag and freeze them, right?
No big deal? Well, I'm against the plastic bag idea. At least until the hide is chilled through out or semi froze, I don't suggest a plastic bag.

A common mistake that people make, and I'd like to point out, is... when thawing the furs, some folks pull the bag from the freezer, toss it on the bench and go mow the lawn. Ever done that? I think we all have.
biggrin.gif

For those that aren't aware of it, I'd like to point out the fact that your frozen furs should always be removed from the plastic bag when thawing them out, if that's what they were froze in. The air around them will help them thaw faster, and the fur isn't trapped in that bag sweating while we mow the grass. A fur thawed inside of a plastic bag sweats as it thaws, as we all know that means moisture in the bag. You see where I'm going with this already don't you?
Bacteria is the leading cause of hair slippage, and believe me there's plenty of it in that bag with the rolled up coyote skin. Bacteria also needs moisture to breed, so what we want to accomplish here is to eliminate as much of both as possible by not keeping everything trapped in that bag while we thaw them. Take them out of thier plastic bags, let the air get to them as they thaw, and let them thaw naturally. Open them up and lay them out as they begin to get limp again. Keep the flys and bugs away from them, and whatever you have planned to do with that fur once the lawn is mowed, your off to a good start.
wink.gif

~River Runner~

Good tips River Runner. A few years ago I stopped using plastic bags all together. I found that with the short storage time I had the furs in the freezer, bags didn't matter. In fact- there are some advantages to not using bags (I am assuming that you have a separate fur freezer) Dry the fur before freezing- makes thawing a nicer, less messy job. 1) Not using bags allows the fur to freeze quicker. Sometimes using bags traps in the heat, and the pelt never does freeze completely- allowing spoilage while in the freezer 2) More room in freezer by laying furs flat 3) Don't have the hassle of bagging, unbagging, buying bags, disposing of bags- trappnman

------------------
Your American Heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

You got the right idea, Trappnman. As long as the hides aren't in the freezer long enough to be freezer burnt. (When not using a plastic bag, that is)

As far as trapping heat in the hide. You betcha. Folks need to consider the fact that if that skin can keep an animal warm all winter, it'll sure hold heat for a while when folded up and placed in a freezer, no doubt about it.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

I didn't have enought Rats to make mother a coat so I tryed something. I vacumed packed them and put them in the freezer. This should work good.

Welcome to Predator Masters, BG
wink.gif

Yea, I guess that would work, I've never heard of it being done with furs, but hey good idea if it works.
It seems to keep the meatloaf good, why would'nt it some hides, right?

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

by golly you all have the right idea on thawing fur, it seems that so many fellas dont get it though. I have bought fur for 35yrs and seen a bunch of ruined furs because of ignorance in the thawing process. A lot of guys do rot the fur in the thawing process and remember never get the fur to warm when thawing, if it takes 24hrs to do it wont hurt a thing as long as they are in a cool place and not in bags to hold in heat and moisture. Keep up the good work fellas
furbuy46

thanks riverrunner been here a yr. or better and as far as being a boy thanks a million. You made my day. Been on this ole earth 57 yrs . and bought fur 30 of em. have a good night and day.
furbuy46 : :rolleyes:

My appologies to you sir. That was a mistake on my part due to some quick skimming of the posts.

I by no means intended to offend you, just didn't pay close enough attention. Your (posts to date) count of 9 gave me the impression as a newcomer, which I'm sure you'll let me slide on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...the name?...my fault entirely, and I appologize for that sincerely my friend.

Again, my appologies, and more so then ever, welcome to the board.

River Runner you dont owe me an apology for a thing, heck I thought we was having a good time and am shure we are. Dont take me so serious as I am
a very old fashioned person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You seem like a person I would like to know! Thank You kindly furbuy46

Back