Baiting

This is an interesting topic Cougar Jim,

I hope you dont mind me asking some questions as this is a relatively new idea to me.

When I was young, my dad took me camping on the desert and he shot a bunch of jack rabbits around camp. While we were in bed, the coyotes of the area had a hay-day eating up the dead rabbits. When I got older and interested in coyote hunting, I used that experience to experiment on my own and decided to shoot a jack rabbit, and then dump his guts around my calling area (assuming that would make for a nice appetizing smell), but never got a yote to come into it.

So my questions about baiting are:

1) is this something that you tend to spend a lot of time watching and waiting on, or is there a method that brings them in sooner so you aren't spending hours upon hours watching? (Adding a distress call perhaps?)

2) what do you guys put in your popsicles? Just leftover raw meat, or something else?

On a side note; shortly after I started trying to appeal to the yote's sense of smell, I saw this in a Cabela's catalog
http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/predator-pile.html

Luke,

There is a method I developed a few years back called "Pressure baiting" The whole idea is to condition coyotes to visit the bait within the first few hours after being set. Here is how it works. I first start with a large bait like a baitsicle or a deer carcass. Allow the coyotes to completely finish it without hunting them. Do not tie it down or use any wire. I also refrain from putting out a trail cam, just let them feed. Once the bait is gone, bait the site again with a smaller bait. The smaller bait could be a ribcage or medium size ice bait. Once again let them feed. Continue to put less bait out than the previous set each time. Depending on how many coyotes you have in the area this will create stiff competition for the food source. Coyotes will begin to feel the pressure for food and come in to the site earlier and earlier each set. For this to work you need to bait the site around the same time each day. My average sit over bait last year was an hour and a half.

You can read the whole article on baiting tips here http://www.military.com/entertainment/outdoor-guide/predator/predator-baiting-the-next-level.html

2 waste not want not! Scraps from the deer processor is what I use for baitsicyles
SANY00651.JPG

Thanks for the info Brian!

I dont know if this is a common practice here in Utah (havent heard anyone mention it before). So this thread piqued my interest because it really made sense with the concept that was being presented.

Obviously this wouldnt be a method for someone who has limited time to access his intended location to hunt, but would be beneficial for someone who has quicker access to a location to hunt than someone who has to drive a few hours each time to reach it.

The concept of using less and less food was a very intriguing point that I would not have considered unless pointed out.

What is the turnaround time you expect on using this method before you would generally begin hunting it?

Also, is this method generally more effective during colder months, or is it something that could be used year round?

Thanks again Brian
smile.gif

It all depends on the time your willing to sit over the bait. On an ordinary site I will let them feed for three days before hunting it. You may sit from four in the afternoon to midnight before you see a coyote. When pressure baiting the wait to sit depends on how fast they finish the bait. Five days is the norm for pressure baiting for me. It can work year round if you use a non perishable bait source. Like dry dog food with bacon fat. Although warm weather baiting is not nearly as effective in my area. I have found the best time to bait is Jan,Feb and March. The temps are cold they are breeding and food is scarce in my area. These three things make this time of year explode with activity. I see coyotes on average 8 out of 10 stands during these months. I harvest about half that if I'm shooting straight
rolleyes.gif

This is a very interesting topic.

Brian, did you write an article in Predator XTreme about pressure baiting? I remember reading an article and somehow I think you were the author of that.

Andrew Lewand wrote that article about me and my methods. That was before I began writing for Predator Xtreme. I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to baiting and have tried things that would make you both laugh and cringe LOL.

carcas and gut pile are doing no good i guess. only thing I get pictures of are crows, hawks, and 6-8 point bucks sniffing the internals of one of their own. bait bucket should be froze up hopefully thatll help get some yotes in next week.

Jeff,
Sometimes they will hit a bait the first night out and sometimes it takes them a week or two to find and accept it. We are just coming out of a 4 day firearms season and muzzle loader season again this weekend. I don't think the muzzle loader guys saw much around here this weekend but I am sure the 4 days of shotgun season left plenty for the coyotes to feed on.

Right now I have bait out in 3 places and none of it is getting hit except for stray dogs and one skunk that I know of. We are in for a few days of really cold weather and we also got some snow here today. As soon as the weather brakes they will be out looking for something to eat and with the snow cover and frozen ground, field mice and rabbits are going to be harder to find.

I pulled a camera this morning because I thought the IR wasn't working right on it. By the time I got it checked out the temp. had dropped and the wind was blowing about 40mph so I didn't get it put back out.

If it gets frozen so much that they can't get to your meat, scatter a bag of cheap dog treat bones to keep them coming to your bait area.

Hang in there Jeff the yotes just have to find it.
I am trying some cat food to see if I can get a Bobcat to come in.
I have put out cat food for the last three nights but I have not been watching it,but every morning it is picked clean. I think I will watch tonight to see what is eating it.
I haven't got my sensor yet. When I get it That will make it a lot easyer to keep track of the hoodoo theys eating my cat food.

Jim

yeah I have some fresh deer meat that i forgot about in the fridge that is no good so I am going to put a big chunk of that out for them and a fresh baitcicle when the weather breaks.

Once I get them eating then ill do some sitting. no sense in freezing my baguettes off if they arent coming in yet.

this weather is brutal though. Id have to be near starving to be outside in it.

Pardon me for butting in, but I have a question.

My parents had an extra fridge in the garage and the freezer side went out and they didn't notice it until it was too late. Lost a LOT of deer meat, along with beef and some other meats tossed in there too. It sucks, but it's no ones fault. If you don't know it went out, you don't know it went out.

I went over there tonight and got it all and I have 2 5-gallon buckets level full. I want to use it for bait.

I live on a pretty good sized farm and I usually leave the deer carcasses out for the coyotes. They are usually picked clean the second night. One time I wanted to see if they would come close to the house so I left a carcass about 100 yards away and they did come up and get it and drag it off.

I guess my question is should I dump both buckets on the ground and just hope for the best or part it out just a little each night? Temps are hovering around freezing so they might start stinking a little in a day or two.

If I dump them tonight I can't shoot anything till midnight because we can't hunt on Sundays and I'm not staying up super late tonight because I might deer hunt in the morning.

Any ideas or suggestions? If it helps, it's been a couple weeks since our deer rifle season and it's been bow only. Muzzleloader just opened again Saturday and will continue till around the first. So it's probably been a couple weeks since they've eaten really good on gut piles.

Thanks!

I wouldn't put it all out at once. Maybe half a bucket at a time. Dump it out during the day so the scent from your tracks has some time to diminish. I have good luck hauling it in on the 4 wheeler and not even get off of it, just dump it and drive on through.

yeah if you cant freeze it into the bait popsicle id do about the size of a gut pile at a time.

I made the mistake of taking a ton of meat out at once and it was all gone the 2nd night and i never got to hunt over it.

Well I can dump it in the field anywhere betwen 50 and 250 yards from the house and hunt in the heat, lol. My light only shines really good to about 150 yards though. Unless I break out the big, bad white spotlight, that sucker will shine for a long ways, but I don't want to spook them off. On the other side of the farm is a smaller sized subdivision and I have to make 100% sure it's not someone's dog.

I think I can stretch it out and maybe make it last 4 days as long as it doesn't get too warm. I hope that's enough time to establish it as a bait pile. We'll see.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cougar JimHang in there Jeff the yotes just have to find it.
I am trying some cat food to see if I can get a Bobcat to come in.
I have put out cat food for the last three nights but I have not been watching it,but every morning it is picked clean. I think I will watch tonight to see what is eating it.
I haven't got my sensor yet. When I get it That will make it a lot easyer to keep track of the hoodoo theys eating my cat food.

Jim Put a Trail cam on it Jim. That will also give you an Idea what time the are eating.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeff Vyeah I have some fresh deer meat that i forgot about in the fridge that is no good so I am going to put a big chunk of that out for them and a fresh baitcicle when the weather breaks.

Once I get them eating then ill do some sitting. no sense in freezing my baguettes off if they arent coming in yet.

this weather is brutal though. Id have to be near starving to be outside in it. Yes,But this would be a great time to put it out!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: hsracer201Pardon me for butting in, but I have a question.

My parents had an extra fridge in the garage and the freezer side went out and they didn't notice it until it was too late. Lost a LOT of deer meat, along with beef and some other meats tossed in there too. It sucks, but it's no ones fault. If you don't know it went out, you don't know it went out.

I went over there tonight and got it all and I have 2 5-gallon buckets level full. I want to use it for bait.

I live on a pretty good sized farm and I usually leave the deer carcasses out for the coyotes. They are usually picked clean the second night. One time I wanted to see if they would come close to the house so I left a carcass about 100 yards away and they did come up and get it and drag it off.

I guess my question is should I dump both buckets on the ground and just hope for the best or part it out just a little each night? Temps are hovering around freezing so they might start stinking a little in a day or two.

If I dump them tonight I can't shoot anything till midnight because we can't hunt on Sundays and I'm not staying up super late tonight because I might deer hunt in the morning.

Any ideas or suggestions? If it helps, it's been a couple weeks since our deer rifle season and it's been bow only. Muzzleloader just opened again Saturday and will continue till around the first. So it's probably been a couple weeks since they've eaten really good on gut piles.

Thanks! I would make Yotepops out of it you might get three pops,then put one out and save the other for rebateing
grin.gif

Back