Baiting

Wish I had a Freezer to make Yote Popsickles
smile.gif

There is a guy @ snipershide.com that has a great pic of his baiting set up. Try a search. Totally awesome!! Table right by his bed which is a shooting table/night table and has his gun sitting in shooting front & rear rests. All he has to do is open up a window! Very BadA$$!

Now that's what I call comfort and organization !!!

Jim, I don't reach for the .22 magnum when I deliberately go coyote hunting, but a lot of guys do with good success. It worked for me this time at least, but it was a head shot. Dropped like it was pole-axed. Distance was about 75 yards.

Brian D.-Your comment about sitting in the cold starring at meat for hours, cracks me up. That is sooo my story, however I can't quite call myself a "Yank". (ha,ha)
Cougar Jim- I'm glad to see your post on baiting. Thank you.
Pretty near all of my predator hunting is done above bait piles. Due to my limited hunting arena, I sparingly use calls in the beginning of the season and then towards the end. I hunt all legal predators, so a bait pile affords me the opportunity to hunt fox, oppossum, raccoon and skunk. This time of year deer scraps are plentiful and my local butcher is more than happy to see me. This year for the first time I have added a revamped walkway light to one of my bait stations. Basically, it is a solor panel walkway or driveway light inwhich I switched out the 2.6 v. battery for a 6v. and attached it to a post about 8-10ft. above the bait. As soon as this relentless wind stops, (3 days straight now) I plan on testing it out. Too often I have had fangs-n-fur show up undetected while waiting . . .according to my game camera.

Originally Posted By: 243kimberThere is a guy @ snipershide.com that has a great pic of his baiting set up. Try a search. Totally awesome!! Table right by his bed which is a shooting table/night table and has his gun sitting in shooting front & rear rests. All he has to do is open up a window! Very BadA$$!

Neighbor has a setup like that.
Scares the crap out of his wife when he pops off a few rounds during the middle of the night.

"Neighbor has a setup like that.
Scares the crap out of his wife when he pops off a few rounds during the middle of the night."

My sister was at my house and noticed my "shooting window". She said why is that window screen pushed all the way up - looks to side and sees rifle, bench, rang finder, light, foxpro, etc. - rolls eyes - Ohhh, OK,never mind. It's for coyotes isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Wish I had a Freezer to make Yote Popsickles
smile.gif

Fill up yer bucket and set it outside. A few nights of getting down to 10 above like it has the past few nights and you will have a pop sickle.

gobblergetter

I just ordered a drive way sensor off eBay that will transmit up to 400 ft. The sensor is water proof. I won the bid for $12.50 I will let you know how it works. and will post some pictures of my set up. I would like to see some pictures of other guys set up. Some has already posted theirs.

Jim

If we keep this thread going, we might get a baiting forum?
I like to sit in front of a warm heater and enjoy my favorite sport of hunting when the weather is real bad. baiting is just another challenge that keeps me interested and going.

Jim

Last edited:

Jim, I'm anxious to hear how the driveway sensor works out.

I've got a place on the family farm that's just perfect for setting up a blind or even a small building of some sort. I can easily get a 150 yard shot, and the wind usually always blows in my favor.

When the temps drop, snow flies and the coyotes are hungry, that would be a perfect place to have as a "pouting house" and get away from things for a while and maybe do a bit of coyote sniping.

You are right, we may get a good forum going and learn a lot from what others are doing.

David

Originally Posted By: JackindistressOriginally Posted By: Wallbass45Wish I had a Freezer to make Yote Popsickles
smile.gif

Fill up yer bucket and set it outside. A few nights of getting down to 10 above like it has the past few nights and you will have a pop sickle. That would work if it were not for the Dogs and other vermin knocking it over and making a mess. Good thought anyway! TY
grin.gif

David
Keep us posted on your set up. I like to see how others are doing. Sometimes you don't thing of the simplest things until someone else comes up with it.

Jim

Outdoor Life did a two part interview with me regarding baiting that should be out in Jan and Feb this year. I broke out a few unorthodox methods that have been working for me in the last few years. There is much more to baiting than putting out a carcass.It can get down right complicated if you let it.
Brian Downs

One of the things I like to do when using a Popsickle is Before season starts find your area for the bait. Look for easy access and good backstop(In case you miss)Normal wind direction. Also I put a 2"PVC pipe w/cap on one end and put it in the middle of the bucket,Put the meat in around the pipe and pour Boiling water over the meat. This gets the blood&fat flowing and gives a better POPSICKLE. Now let it cool,then put in Freezer. Where I have found where I want to place the bait I drive a Half a Fence post in the ground. Slide the Sickle out of the bucket then slide the PVC over the post.
If its in a new area where you have not baited it may take a day or three for them to find it. You can speed this by putting some old meat/scraps in a onion bag and pulling it behind you on trails away from the Sickle. I remember one time doing that and had a nice Red in an hour and a half. Have fun,Jeff
thumbup.gif

Here is another bait tip: I save back any deer blood and pour it into empty plasic water bottles then freeze the bottles. If my bait has been out awhile and needs freshening up, I simply thaw out a bottle and pour it over top the bait. It's like adding gravey to the mashed potatoes!

Back