Scope and rings/bases suggestions for my Weatherby Vanguard 243 for coyote

makey98

I got a good deal on the 2006 Gun of the Year version of the Weatherby Vanguard in .243 It has a noslip green coat and really no different from the regular version, but it looked like it was never shot and was a good price.

Anyway, I have never had a centerfire rifle, mainly a shotgun guy and i got a 22 to work on shooting.

Want a setup for coyotes and I am here in Indiana, so the shots are 100-300 yds max.

Weatherby has a Talley rings and bases set for 39 bucks and the Leupold setup is around 50-60.

Suggestions for scope. Leaning towards a smaller objective, something like 36 or so. Was thinking about fixed power to get better quality for less money? Or maybe a 2-6 or 2-7. Can't imagine needing a 3-9 x40. Leaning towards a sightron.

Thoughts? What do you guys like for medium range shots for coyote?
Any help appreciated.

Talleys and don't look back... go with the "low" ones... they'll fit up to a 42mm objective.

Fixed 6x Weaver (K6) has a 36mm objective lens and offers excellent glass and tracking for under $150. Great glass... I've run them quite often.

That .243 will be a good gun for you... congrats!

Perhaps another Weaver type scope to consider would be a Nitrex by Weaver TR1 1.5-5x32. This is basically a Weaver Grand Slam scope that retailed for over $400 and in Nitrex it retailed for about $300. However the Nitrex is a discontinued model and available for around $90 after $50 Nitrex Rebate. Don't let the low price fool you, its just a heck of a price for this quality of scope, which has some very good Japanese glass/optics.

Here is webpage for this scope to view. Other Nitrex models can be reviewed here.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...rodTitle=Nitrex TR One 1.5-5x32mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Great! These are all new options for me. Do you guys like these compared the redfield 2-7 x32 for 139 at cabelas?? ALso, do you think the fixed 6x is too much magnification for shorter shots???

The Redfield is a good option... if I went that rout I'd go XLow Talleys. I don't think a fixed 6x is ever too much glass... so do though. Even a fixed 4x would work well for you.

On the lower priced glass I find the fixed power a little better optically, and typically tougher than the variables... not quite as versatile though.

Originally Posted By: makey98Great! These are all new options for me. Do you guys like these compared the redfield 2-7 x32 for 139 at cabelas?? ALso, do you think the fixed 6x is too much magnification for shorter shots???

Redfields are pretty good. I'm not a big fan of fixed power scopes...but to each his own. Maybe for benchrest work, but that's about it. A fixed 4power would probably be better so your power is low enough for quicker target acquisition if you anticipate close-in shots.

Originally Posted By: 6mmThe Redfield is a good option... if I went that rout I'd go XLow Talleys. I don't think a fixed 6x is ever too much glass... so do though. Even a fixed 4x would work well for you.

On the lower priced glass I find the fixed power a little better optically, and typically tougher than the variables... not quite as versatile though.

The fixed power scopes have less bells and whistles, should be cheaper, more rugged, more light, and more FOV.

Hmm. I really like the vortex... Of course, Most pricey, but that is a great deal. If you guys had to rank the redfield, nitrex, and vortex from best to last, how would it go?? How about ranking for best value for money as well? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't know enough to make a good choice.

Vortex
thumbup1.gif
and with the sales i think they are a way better value just my 2c

Last edited:
Those Vipers are hard to beat for the money.

Great eye relief and clear as a whistle.

Although I am tempted by the Nitrex.

One thing to keep in mind, if you go with the 6-20x44 Viper, it has a 30MM tube so you will have to buy the correct rings.

I went with the Vortex Viper 2-7x32. Seemed to be a very reputable company even though I had never heard of them. Ordered from Joe Bob. Joe Bob was easy to order from and got confirm and everything today and am anxiously awaiting arrival!

Question about install. I also bought the 1 piece Talley ring and base set from Weatherby. Do you guys use a torque screwdriver or anything to attach the base or scope? It got me wondering because the manual for the gun said to tighten the action screws to a specific torque. (weatherby vanguard). Same with scope?

Do you guys use loctite on anything? Do you degrease screw holes or screws on anything? What color loctite? What torque? Just do a good and tight type fit?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
It is always a good idea to use a torque wrench on rings and bases and to attach the barreled action to the stock too!.

I have a hunch that you are really going to like the Vortex too.

Okay, so I went to autozone and they had an inch pounds torque wrench that I could rent for free. So I can just put some reduceta on and use a 1/4 inch socket and them put in a flat head screwdriver or the appropiate Allen wrench for the rings and that will work right??

Probably the most important thing is to "set" the fasteners. This is especially true for the bases. After torquing them use a punch and small hammer to give them a sharp tap. Then retorque and it is surprising how much more they turn to get back up to the same torque.

Jack

Buy the best optics you can afford, you get what you pay for buying glass. I'm a Leupold fan myself.

Viper 2-7x32 came today, same day as the Weatherby Talley 1 piece base/rings. Looks very nice. I have to wait until tommorow for install as my truck is having some issues. Need to rent the torque wrench from autozone. I also got the Butler Creek flip eye and obj covers. They fit, but are very tight. They go very tightly over the adjustable eyepiece. Is this an issue? Will I need to use this eyepiece often, because this cover makes it unusable.

Thanks Joe Bob. Great service! (I forgot the pm 5% code though!. Doh!)

Installed and ready to go. I did it a couple times because the first time, the ring spacings (top and bottom) was uneven. The second time I tilted the crosshair while tightening. The third time I think i got it right. It is night so I can't look out 100 yards and see what it looks like, but I think it is right. USed a inch/lb torque wrench and got it all set. Looking forward to sighting it in!

I will post a pic of the scope/gun and target one I get it going here... thanks.

Back