22-250 For Deer?

kel

I normally use my 30-06 but I wanted to maybe get the 22-250 bloodied up on the deer population. I use Hornady 55gr vmax factory ammo. With the deer being smaller on average down here in South Georgia than the North I'm thinking that it might work ok. I just don't want to injure something using too small of a gun.

I'm like you I have always used larger calibers for deer such as an 06' but last year I decided I have my coyote rifle shooting so tight with my reloads that I was going to shoot a deer with it. Out to 300 yds. I can pretty well place that bullet right where I want it. This was 226 yds. standing and I double lunged him. Shooting 22-250 50 gr. V-Max I was in a ladder stand and had a good rest. He went about 40 yds and dropped. BTW He weighed over 200 lbs on the hoof cause when I got him to the butcher shop I had he im weighed and he weighed 170 lbs dressed. That G2 on one side is 10 inches.
So anyhow, the 250 will do the job BUT the bullet MUST be placed in the right spot.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Originally Posted By: kelI normally use my 30-06 but I wanted to maybe get the 22-250 bloodied up on the deer population. I use Hornady 55gr vmax factory ammo. With the deer being smaller on average down here in South Georgia than the North I'm thinking that it might work ok. I just don't want to injure something using too small of a gun.
Some folks who use the V-Max have had problems with surface splash on coyotes. Can't imagine using them on deer. That is a varmint bullet, not designed for big game.
Personally, I'd use a heavier bullet with a sturdier construction design, with the Nosler 60gr Partition being at the top of my picks.
Good hunting.

Stay away from Vmax's. No need taking a chance with a varmint bullets. Load up some 60 gr. partitions or 62 gr Barnes X bullets.

That's the kind of stuff I'd like to avoid is having to track down a wounded animal. Our cover is so thick here that if anything runs on you more that 30 yards you are crawling thru some thick, overgrown mess of jungle.

I've used 50gr Vmax and 55gr Vmax is excellent results. Most where bang...flop.

I personally would run a 55gr TSX, 60gr Partition, 62gr TSX, 64gr PP to get a good pass through.

I've taken two deer and several hogs with a .22-250 with excellent results. A V-max will penetrate the vitals on a broad side shot. But I would prefer something a little more robust.

The buck I shot with a 55gr. V-max was at about 220 yard and only ran about 40 yards, I found the base of the bullet jacket and lead core against an off side rib.

This young buck was shot with a Remington 55gr. pointed soft point at about 80 yards.
Scan6.jpg

Ive killed deer with mine and after hitting one perfect and not ever finding it was the last time for me. Nothing makes me sicker than losing an injured animal. I shoot a 44mag or 270 for whitetails from now on

Heres a little feller I got with my 22-250 using winchester 55gr SP

0213001751.jpg

Last edited:
This subject of using .223 calibers for deer tends to stir up a lot of emotion.

As the posts demonstrate, you certainly can kill deer with a .22-250, assuming of course that it's a legal caliber in your area.

The question that only you can answer is should you?

This depends on a combination of your hunting area/conditions, your skill, and your own personal ethics. The main ethical point at stake is your belief about the .22-250's ability to deliver a quick and clean kill while minimizing the chance that an animal may be wounded and either suffer needlessly or escape only to die later.

While it obviously works for some people, it doesn't work for me. We hunt in areas where the chance for bullet deflection due to brush and tall grass is just too high. The cover also makes tracking wounded animals very difficult and time consuming. Finally, I simply believe strongly that we have an ethical obligation to use a tool that is most likely to result in a quick kill and I have several other guns in the gun cabinet that are far more capable in this regard.

But YMMV.

Grouse

Not going to argue with some people's success but.....
I also would not even consider a light varmint bullet for a Deer. It may work and it may not.

There are plenty of Deer appropriate bullets in the .224 caliber that will work more often than not. The 62 grain PowerPoint, the Nosler Partitian and Barnes TSX already mentioned come to mind.

The "V" in "V-Max" stands for varmint.

IMO You can wound something with a big gun just as easy as with a smaller caliber. It's happened to me I've watched it happen to other people. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE make sure you know you can take that shot with a 22-250 or know when too far is too far. Good luck on whatever your decision is because no one likes to wound an animal.

I've killed deer with a 70 grain sierra in a .243 that my buddy gut shot with a 300 win mag. The difference is I was confident in my abilites, and wasn't scared of the recoil of my rifle...

Originally Posted By: MPFDI've killed deer with a 70 grain sierra in a .243 that my buddy gut shot with a 300 win mag. The difference is I was confident in my abilites, and wasn't scared of the recoil of my rifle...

I'd say the key difference is that you hit the deer in an area that would result in a quick death whereas your buddy did not. I've never head of anyone killing a deer with confidence.

I don't think the question should be just about "What cartridge is capable of killing a deer?" Obviously even a .22 rimfire is capable of killing a deer within an extremely narrow set of circumstances.

To me it's about the difference between what you could do and what you should.

Grouse

i have hunted deer with a .22-250 for around 5 years now and i love it, however i am a neck shooter only, i would NOT shoot a deer in the boiler room with a .22-250 but thats just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseI'd say the key difference is that you hit the deer in an area that would result in a quick death whereas your buddy did not.

Really? Is that what happened? huh???

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grouse I've never head of anyone killing a deer with confidence.
Grouse

I didn't say I killed a deer with confidence. I said I was confident in my abilities to shoot the rifle. And put the bullet right where I want it, not fearing recoil or blunt force trauma from a scope to my face...

Last edited:
I know that if I shoot a deer in the boiler with a 130gr SST at 2850 it will die real quick every time 'cause that's what has happened. The energy, the wound cavity size and fps just work a treat.

I haven't shot a deer with a 22-250. Using the points made by some above I could because I use Hornady SPs. A tough-nut little round. I can also load up Sierra Game Kings too. Both of these penetrate.

I know an exMarine who has taken real long neck shots on deer and killed them, but the 22-250 was called the Varminter. It was designed as probably the best varminter round there has been.

Why would I chance wounding an animal with a smaller calibre and weight projectile that was not designed for that purpose. I'm sure if I was going to be shot dead I'd ask they use the biggest darn gun on the block and I'd be very concered if they brough out a weapon meant for game a quarter of my size.

FWIW

Back