New pup and car sickness?

Z

I have a new mini aussie that is just 5 months old. He is just a family dog, but I thought I would make him a hunting companion for calling coyotes. However, he gets sick and just drools until he throws up. Doesn't like it in the back of the truck either and I have never had a dog that didn't like to go for a ride. Anyone know how to cure car sickness in a dog? The vet said it could just be anxiety and he will outgrow it. He hasn't got one bit better since I got him. Saturday after about 3 hours of riding around, twice throwing up, and massive drooling, I couldn't take it anymore. He looked so miserable that I brought him home and went back out.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
My male had the same issue, my female never did. I just kept taking him and letting him throw up. He just stopped worrying about it one day and has never had the problem again
DaFUnk

I hope you guys are right about the shorter trips. The shooting range is a 10 minute drive and we take the dogs down to the river every once in awhile, but even then he starts the drooling. When he starts drooling I know I am in trouble

My pup does the same thing if she don't throw up she craps
in the box. But after the 30 min drive to my buddies house
I can throw her in his box and she is fine the rest of the day. They get over it you just have to haul them.

I've found that ya gotta just keep taking em'. It seams like after awhile they learn how to put up with it and stop getting so sick and some just never get over it.

Mine used to throw up EVERY SINGLE TIME. It wasn't nerves, he loved to go, he just wasn't getting enough air and was getting car sick. He still does it once in a while but has pretty much outgrown it. Try giving the pup ginger snaps or ginger dog treats (I can give you a recipe), if she will drink ginger ale try that too. The ginger is supposed to settle their stomach and calm them for the trip. Hope something helps!

I start packin all the pups at 12 weeks. Some get sick some don't, I just pack them a few mins at a time, and increase time until they get used to it. Empty stomache helps a bunch with the sickness.
Just keep packing the pup, it will come around.

Use a shock collar.
Watch her close while driving through stop and go traffic and if she even licks her lips BLAST HER with 36 volts!
Jus kiddin lol
Short trips till she gets used to it on an empty stomach after she emptys out.

Back