Magnum Research Reviews

6mm06

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Magnum Research .22 magnum rifles? If so, how do you like it, accuracy and functioning, dependability etc.?

My Magnum Research .22mag has been wonderful. It's accurate and very dependable. I love how light the rifle is. Mine has the carbon fiber barrel and a Hogue stock on it.

My only complain about the rifle is the trigger is HORRIBLE! Heck, it must be all of 7-8lbs. I've been wanting to order a Kidd trigger, but I think I'll have someone do a trigger job on it.

I haven't shot many different brands through my MR, but I've shot the following with excellent results:

CCI 30gr Vmax-
Hornady 30gr Vmax
Rem 33gr Premier

CCI's 30gr TNT's. ***had a few feeding problems with this ammo with the huge hollow points***

Only group picture I have on hand. This was Rem 33gr stuff and was quick firing. 7 shots @ 100yds.

DSCI0016.jpg

I would have thought the trigger would be nice, considering the cost of the rifles.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:I would have thought the trigger would be nice, considering the cost of the rifles.

Yes, one would think. It's a bone stock Ruger 10-22 trigger. Maybe they figure they'll do that and let the customer decide which trigger they want.

If I was Magnum Research I'd advertise that it comes with the craptastic 10-22 trigger and not make it an unpleasant surprise.

The good thing is that it takes stock 10-22 trigger upgrade parts, so a good trigger is around $80 and an hours work.
Or $200 would get a Kidd trigger group and you would be at benchrest level.

From everything I've read, they're a very reliable and accurate 22 Mag except for the factory trigger. I suspect with the carbon barrel, you could lift the entire rifle by the trigger and it wouldn't go off (maybe it's a safety "feature")
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have been looking at the stainless varmint model with the Hogue stock. It is definitely heavier than the carbon barrel, around 7 1/2 # I think, but I wonder if it wouldn't perhaps stabilize a little better for some precise shooting. Maybe not, just seems that it might.

I played with both before I bought mine. Actually, I think the other was a .17hmr with the SS barrel, but I didn't care for the one with the SS barrel.

To me, it didn't balance correctly. Muzzle heavy, IMO.

I wanted something very light, reason I went with the CF barrel.

David, shooting off a bench I think you would like the heavier barrel. The carbon fiber is great for carrying, but mine's balanced more like a pistol.

I had a 20" bull barrel on it before, and it was nicer for bench shooting (but a beast to pack all day).

I appreciate you guys sharing info with me. For now I'm just dreaming and contemplating. But, I like the idea of it and maybe will take the plunge for one down the road.

My son has one of their P-Cuda pistols which is a pistol version with a Carbon Fiber barrel and a swoopy pistol stock. Or one could say it kind of looks like a BlunderBust. I really like the scope mount being part of the action but as said above---their stock trigger is not what you'd expect for the money. But it shoots nice once you've got a good trigger

I would love to buy one of these, but they say running 30 grain bullets through them will eliminate your warranty. Why is this? It's not like we are running 4000fps here. That's the only 22 mag rounds I run so I can keep the 2200 fps velocitys. Am i missing something? Is there something I should be aware off?

Back