help me have a productive hunting trip.

thefleen

going to nebraska this fall for yotes. ive heard the mange has been bad there. id like to know if they have made a comback there and if its worth going. if not we'll probably go to south dakota, were open for suggestions. thanks- thefleen

My buddy and I have access to 6 ranches around Ainsworth. We haven't hunted it in 5 years or so, because the mange was so bad. I never heard if it got worse or if they made a come back. It was a major letdown to kill 13 coyotes and have to throw 10 of them away, due to bad hides. That was alot of money lost.

Good luck...

Tony

Tony, when you say you had to throw some back I can just see you shooting a yote and coming up along side it, then you pick it up by the mouth like a largemouth and in a Bill Dance voice saying," Op, this'n's no good!" And, then tossing it back into some brush and watching it run off! LOL

The image made my night, but it also made me question my sanity.
I must need some sleep!

OP: Sorry I couldn't be of any help other than comical(hopefully). I was born and raised here in Southern NM and never hunted outside of my state.

Wish you the best on your hunt though.

I guess I might be of some help. I know there are plenty of dogs around here in NM if you could consider it. You could even see about hunting with Tony or maybe another forum member if Tony is booked. I'd offer help, but I would be relegated to the comic relief section, again, after I told you how to find state and public lands.

thanks, ill see if anyone gives me more info, i would love to go to NM or texas, but i live in mo so im looking for a place thats not real far away. i am really hoping western nebraska is stocked up on coyotes again, Tony have you ever hunted South dakota? that would be my other choice if theres none in nebraska. Ill take any suggestions if anyone knows where the calling is good, and where theres alot of public land.

There are members on here that are far more intimate with NE and SD than I. The only time I called in SD was in Sioux Falls with Byron, Mike Dillon, Brent Rueb, and a few others. We ended up getting skunked that morning, later to find out that mange had wiped out the coyotes in the area. That was a few years ago.

Kansas is an option, as well. I hunted it a few years ago and was impressed on how much "walk in access" on private ground that the wildlife department has setup. We did well in north central KS.

Tony

A lot of Randy Anderson's videos are filmed in the Sand Hills area of Nebraska. I think a lot of that is public land.

My wife is from Western KS, and Southwest Nebraska. I only saw two coyotes the entire time I was there, but they weren't mangy. The local mechanic and the postman both said that a lot of them were killed off by the mange. Her family lives near McCook, NE.

Just to give you my 2 cents worth of an opinion (and it probably is only worth half of that!!). IF you are coming to shoot coyotes here in NE and require that you get a good hide out of it, you might be dissapointed. I live in Omaha and hunt an hour west of here (David City/Columbus area) plus another area that is 3 to 4 hours west of here (Lexington/Elwood/Arapahoe area) and am still seeing a surprising number of coyotes with mange. I had one cross in front of the truck just a week ago that looked terrible (I was in the Lexington area at that time). I don't know how that coyote lived thru the tough winter we had this year. My sons and I took a couple of coyotes last year that had no mange at all so I don't want to paint the picture that all of them have mange. I do think the number of coyotes are starting to come back up compared to the last 5 years. I've never seen it hit the population this bad (started calling back in 1975, so I've seen a few up and down cycles). On the flip side, I think because of the lower coyote numbers, the bobcat numbers have improved nicely due to lack of competition for food. Again, just my opinion. Coyote numbers (and clean hides) seem to be coming back but they just aren't back up to long-term average numbers yet. I can't tell you what you would find in the panhandle. Good luck.

thanks for the info, i really would just like to kill some even if half the ones we kill have mange. i would like some with nice pelts, but killing mangey coyotes is still better than killing no coyotes. But thanks, its good to know that ill still have a chance at calling them up there. we might try Kansas to tony, it all depends on how much land we will have access to. were going september so we still have time to figure out where to go.

I am sure you will find some. As I mentioned, it seems like they are finally coming back in better numbers. We had a decent year (for us) with an extremely cold and record amount of snow. What area would you be heading to if you come to NE?

There's a few with mange around here. I havn't seen any for a few years; but, several friends have. Most won't pull the trigger on them since it's a walking death sentence for more coyotes up here.

Just curious, what does an average hide bring? Who buys them? I'm a newbie so I would just shoot them and leave them.

As an old timer reading this post I was thinking it wasn't many years ago a guy would not have had the opportunity to gather info from a site like this. It is neat to see folks helping each other out like this.

"Nice pelts" and hunting in Sept. dont' go together any better than peanut butter and dill pickles. The fur market has been in the dumps and to sell a good KS. coyote last year in the round, you'd have been lucky to get $5.
Hunt'em in Sept. if ya must, but don't expect to find a fur buyer jumpin' at the chance to buy'em from ya.

Originally Posted By: songdog"Nice pelts" and hunting in Sept. dont' go together any better than peanut butter and dill pickles. The fur market has been in the dumps and to sell a good KS. coyote last year in the round, you'd have been lucky to get $5.
Hunt'em in Sept. if ya must, but don't expect to find a fur buyer jumpin' at the chance to buy'em from ya.

Are you actually knockin PB&P sammiches? What's wrong with you man!!!!!

You said you would like to hunt in Texas? Got news for ya brother, public land and Texas go together like peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. There is virtually NO public land in Texas and what little there is have heavy restrictions. If you want to hunt here in Texas, I strongly suggest going and seeing Mr. Tebbe. Yes, he's going to ask for some sheckles but few go home disappointed.

Chupa

Back