220 Swift load data

johnc427

Just curious as to what people are running in their swift? Thinking i'll run 55g Nosler Ballistic tip varmints in mine but seeing what everyone else is doing. The new gun is a 26" barrel with a 1:14 twist rate. Thanks

John

Originally Posted By: mountain stateI use IMR 4064 and Hornady 52 gr. HP.
Same barrel length and likely same twist.

4064 is "the" powder for Swifts. Never met one that didn't shoot like a champ with it !

I have been reloading for Swifts for 35 years and have tried lots of different loads. Most of these have shot well enough to make them a favorite load for someone. But I have pretty much now settled on R-15 as my number one .220 Swift powder. 38 grains of the stuff with either a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or some sort of 52 grain HPBT match bullet just poke them all on one hole if (here it comes!) I do my part. I like IMR 4064 too, but it has been on the back burner as of late.

I also like 43 grains of H-414 with a 40 grain V-max for ground squirrels. Turns them into vapor with any kind of good hit.

I have to agree with rusty, IMR4064 is a great powder for the Swift, But with a new Cooper! I started out with RL15 and 50gr V-maxs and Im very pleased with the results...

Good bullet choice. I shoot a warm load of 40 grains of IMR 4064 with the 55 grain ballistic tip and the Fed match primer. I'm getting 3800 fps out of my Sako Swift with the 23 5/8 inch factory heavy barrel. I've made some outragious long range kills with this combo on coyotes and cats. This rifle will shoot sub 1/2 inch consistantly. Grizz

have had a lot of inconsistent lots from RL powders. Gave up on them ! Vary as much as 175 fps from one to another.

Plus they are not very Temperature stable, which in Wyoming is a big factor for me. hunt from 85 + degrees to minus 30 degrees.

Last edited:
Back