Extremely bitter/sweet hog hunt.

predator_caller

Went out last evening to see if we could find a hog to shoot. About an hour before dark i got a nice black one about 150 pounds. Slightly after dark i was just looking through my scope to see how long i could see through it. It was to a point i could'nt see the feeder till i put the scope on it. About every 5 minutes or so i would see just how dark i could pick a spot in my crosshairs and all be daggum'ed if this feller was'nt standing there.
I had a great rest, (106 yds btw) and got the crosshairs on the base of his neck right behind the ear. The Tikka .243 thumped him right there. When my eyes finally adjusted from the flash i looked through the scope again and he was laying there. I went over to check him out and took the light with me this time. I get over there and just as i,m stretching the gun barrel out to touch his eye: that dang feeder went off right beside me. Scared the livin' ba-geezus out of me. I about lost it right there.
I tried to get a few pictures with the self timer on a small tripod, with it on the feeder. The pics did'nt come out great but you get the idea.
Anyhow i took a few and was still pumped about his teeth but decided to go back and sit till my friend got there to pick me up. Two hours later he finally drove up to get me. Even he could'nt believe the size of that things teeth. I decided to get my camera and try to get a couple more while he had his headlights to work with this time. well; during this last picture taking excursion is where it got real crappy real quick.
I was holding his head up for the pics and i noticed fire ants on my hand and wrist Me being from Michigan thought nothing of it. I could feel them stinging like [beeep] but i was bound-determined to get a few more pics. We dragged to pig away from the feeder to start with the knife. As this one is just getting a european mount i was going to make it quick.
Just as i was getting done i could feel my lips start to tingle and my face was getting all tingly as well. I told dennis i was'nt feeling good at all and was very queezy. We grabbed my stuff, threw it in the truck and headed out for a 2 hour drive back home. Next thing i know my whole world is spinning and i feel nasty to say the least. My throat was swelling shut and thats the last i remember for a while. Dennis said i was in the passenger seat jerking around and going into convulsions,(Anaphylactic shock) then suddenly my head drooped and he thought he just watched his friend die right there. Absolutely freaked him out. not sure how long i was out, but when i come too i remember going like [beeep] down a two-track. The look on his face scared me more than i was scared for myself. The ole boy really did'nt know what to think.
I got to coming around and was feeling like i was under a parked semi. My throat was swollen shut, i was sweating profusely (in the a/c) and my chest hurt like [beeep]. I seriously could'nt feel my body, it was numb. driving like a mad-man possesed we were headed home. The place we were at had absolutely NO cell phone service for either of us. I blacked-out a few more times on the way back but finally made it to a gas station and he got me some benadryl after he got off the phone with the Texas poison control center (quite a worthless bunch really). Anyhow when we finally made it to his place and i saw what i looked like i could'nt believe it.
I did take a couple photos (as i'm a photo-freak) and settled in to wait that crap out. I tipped over on the couch and tried to rest, but my entire body was absolutely burning with hives. Somewhere between 4 and 5 this morning i got a little nap. got up at 6 and hit the road back to my place. Still feel a tad tweaked but i made it far enough to share this with you all. I will say: I am so glad Dennis was there. lord knows what would've happened if i was out there to pass out with them.
Enough of this stuff. All-in-all it was still a great night and we both have something in our hunt memories that will last forever.
He managed to tip over 2 of them and with my 2; it was a great hunt.
I am telling you all this just in case there is somebody out here that has never gave it a thought. I about did'nt make it and lord knows if i had a bad heart i might not be here to share this with you all. Needless to say i am still a little freaked about the whole thing. There was definately someone there on my side is all i have to say.
Thanks for letting me take up a bit of your time and to get this out. Maybe it'll help somebody some day. I'm going to post a link to this as to get a few more to read it.
time for some pics. The good and the bad.
take care all and please be safe.

PICT4928.jpg

PICT4927.jpg

PICT4917.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited:
I always carry a few Benadryl in my med kit and my truck. I have a brother who is allergic to bee stings and almost had him die on me as a kid. Left me with a lasting impression of what anaphylatic shock from a bug bite can do.

drscott

Great story!

That was a real HAWG!
thumbup1.gif

Man, you gotta watch those fire ants down there, they will really put the hurt on you when they get on you by the hundreds & all sting at the same time.

Barry

Man that pig has some good cutters! We kill quite a few around here but most of them are not very impressive when it comes to their mouth gear.

Sorry to hear about the ant deal. I have heard of people having problems with them and wasps but luckily I have never witnessed it first hand, it was a good thing you had someone with you...

Nice hog but heck with him, just glad you're alright! Man that was a close one, you need to give your buddy a hellava' hug!Please keep some benadryl with you from now on.P.S. I think I'll keep some with me too.

Originally Posted By: drscottI always carry a few Benadryl in my med kit and my truck. I have a brother who is allergic to bee stings and almost had him die on me as a kid. Left me with a lasting impression of what anaphylatic shock from a bug bite can do.

drscott

I am the same way. Never had anything scary happen yet, but it can do wonders in a scary situation. My wife also carried an EPI Pen. They are a great back up as well. I am happy toi say you got pretty lucky, sounds like you body was really close to shutting down.

Definately turned out for the better that's for sure. I guess i just never put 2 and 2 togather. i know there are fire ants here and when i was in Michigan i did have an allergic reaction to a wasp sting one time. Had i done a little more research i probably would have been on my toes a little better.
Oh well.... it came out well and it sure as heck is'nt going to keep me out of the brush. I'm thinking an epi-pen and some benadryl will be my two best friends next times out.
Thank you all for the kind words and hopefully i can share a better story next time..!
lol
smile.gif

Ouch Jimmy!! Glad you are doing better,, I guess it's true what they say "Don't mess with Texas".
Also nice Hogs.. Still looking for plane tickets
smile.gif

Ben VW

Back