Operation Leatherback Part 1

Jay Nistetter

Operation Leatherback
Aerial surveillance from a drone high overhead watched the river. It was calm far below.
Too Calm. The desert flowers were all but gone now. Something was amiss.

14Carp.jpg

The Commander slightly shuddered as he dialed a number. It was a number that The Department of Homeland Security was unaware. Mobilizing ground recon was a safety precaution that provided valuable information the drones couldn’t detect.

His specialized team was considered unconventional in many respects but the Commander wasn’t looking for respect. The cost of good intel wasn’t necessarily measured in dollars.

Hoss (the squad leader) answered the phone. His eyes narrowed recognizing the Commander’s voice on the other end. His reply was only two words rolled into one – “Yessir” and the line went dead.

Setting down his coffee, Hoss made two phone calls speaking only one word for each call. “Leatherback“1.

Within 24 hours, three men met, exchanged nods and proceeded together through a small settlement onto a sandy road to Point Alpha near the river.

The equipment wasn’t considered “specialized” in today’s high-tech era. The necessity was the “skill” in the use of the equipment. Team Charlie had those skills. They dressed as “locals” to derail any suspicions.

The mission was simple…
Search for signs of activity along the river and stop ALL unauthorized encroachments.

This was a daytime operation. Skill was their only ally.

Upon reaching the river they eased into the water careful not to create ripples. They immediately sensed what the Commander had suspected. They were not alone.

1 Leatherback: The name often associated with carp when they expose their backs above the water surface in shallow waters. The evening and early morning air dries their backs causing them to appear leather-looking.

Shortly before retrieving this carp I extinguished my cigarette the hard way. It was especially embarrassing since everyone was looking.

01Carp.jpg

Checking the moisture content of my remaining cigarettes.

06Carp.jpg

Below is a hero shot of my first ever doubles.

07Carp.jpg

Here’s the official documented version:
I am a member of 3-man volunteer team of soldiers who have managed to survive the Carp Wars over the years. We were out on morning patrol when we stumbled onto a squadron of Carpus Stupidicous. These evil suckers can be very slick as some of you may know. Not the kind you meet at the supermarket.

It was obvious they were the tough scaled, hardcore kind having had specialized training only a school could provide. Their encampment was skillfully dug in to a bank protected by thick overhanging growth.

I was lead point probably 20 yards ahead of my partners when the action started. Those sneaky devils let me pass. Upon hearing shots fired by my two partners, I hurried to their aid careful not to slip on the River Snot Trail I had traversed just moments before.

08Carp.jpg

Easing into position I could see that Charlie Team had the enemy pinned down and that their ammo was running low, but true to their character, they gallantly held their ground ready to use sticks if they had to. Some men have all the right stuff.

11Carp.jpg

Upon arriving at their location one of the insurgents made a break for it. He was a rocket fueled burner to put it mildly.
We couldn’t bark this low flyer to a stop either.

Even though I was locked and loaded, I wasn’t ready for the speed of this torpedo. Hoping for a clean kill, I aimed for the head. It was my only option to keep this mercenary devilfish from warning others upstream. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

04Carp.jpg

After shooting this runner with my ‘stringed’ arrow, Smack Daddy Dale informed me that I had “INCOMING! 6 O’CLOCK!!!” upon which I let the tether free-spool while grabbing for another Carp Stopper. Having no time to connect the string guidance system I decided to go manual.

Hearing the all-too-familiar click of a properly seated knock I quickly scanned for the bogey. Upon realizing that this INsurgent was DEsurging as rapidly as possible, I calculated his flight path and gently loosed the bowstring at the skunkbait sucker pinning it to the river bottom.

05Carp.jpg

As the melee was winding down, one of the insurgents simply gave himself up whereby Hoss just reached in and subdued him bare handed. His skills in Hand-to-Carp Combat are renown. It was an amazing sight.

We then devised a plan.
One of the casualties was released.
We followed as he aimlessly maneuvered upstream leading us straight to his gravy sucking comrades.

The heat of the day and river current was taking its toll on us and we thought best to head home while we still could.

Hoss reported in to the Commander (Cindi) with our report.
Once again we had a successful mission.
The river would be safe tonight.

02Carp.jpg

Our morning patrol resulted in 48 casualties without any need for water boarding.

Advance to Operation Leatherback Part 2

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh....

Reminds me of the "good ole days" wading the marshes of Lake Erie with my fiberglass bow and arrow.

Nothing like the smell of Carp in the morning!

Silvertp

Great job Jay.

Now try it with a dip net!!
Squat down with large net on bottom and wait till one or more get in position over net, raise net rapidly and hang on. Pairs are a lot of fun..

Later
DF2

Back