YOUR THOUGHTS

Bar M

I had a gyp well on her way to being a strike dog, that I sold to a buddy. He just couldnt live with out her. Well he was shooting over they dogs and she had never been shot over before and when he shot she left the bay and went to the truck and got in dog box. well he had her a few months and got bored with her like everything else he owns and i got her back, and now she will quit you. wont stay at a bay. very inconstistant. Some times she is a dream in they woods. but if I would of had a gun the last few hunts she would of stayed in the woods. Was not the dog I sold in febuary. Think it is from shooting over her?
will she ever come out of it?

Just wanting some opinions....

i had one the same way, never been shot over and when i got him i went to shooting hogs, he would leave and take me 2 or 3 hours of waiting on him, about the 4th time he did it i solved my problem by taking my collars off him and shooting him, i dont think he would have ever gotten out of it, seemed to be getting worse even after i quit shooting over him and just letting him bay he would stand back and watch me and booger bark instead of baying

I have never seen a dog overcome being gunshy.....I say that with limited experience. I only had one dog that was gun shy though.

Dogs that are that bad usually dont get any better but I believe Id try everything possible if she hunts good. Try those tape recordings they make for bird dogs, Ive never used them before but some pointer guys I know swear by them.

I have one idea, this will either work, or you will absoulutly blow the dogs mind.
Go to the local trap range, chain him to a post and let him throw a "cow eyed fit".Don't talk to him,or go near him till he calms down.I have done this a few times with dogs I purchased,(2 were fixed, 3 wrecked, and culled) He will learn not to be scared of gun fire or be "wrecked for good".
Either way, he is getting a fair chance before the final decision.

i should of mintioned the dog will not be around gun fire so i am not worried about him being gun shy would rather them be that way if they cross a fence they not suppost to and get shot at they get gone

bar m, maybe put him in a bay pen every few days and let him figure out there wont be any shooting, biuld him back up to what he was

Well I'm bound to make some enemies over this one but simply stated gunshy dogs aren't born they're made.

Chaining a dog at skeet range that is not acustomed to gunfire is nothing but a recipe for disaster. JMO. Never had a gunshy dog because I took the time to bring them along properly.

Last edited:
In that case I believe trapper is just about right. Work him in a bay pen with some puppies or other young dogs where he is the more experienced hand and let him get back to the basics of hog hunting. BTW Ive noticed that being the most experienced dog in a pack is a confidence booster and will cause them to behave differently.

Originally Posted By: podunkcowboy Dogs that are that bad usually dont get any better but I believe Id try everything possible if she hunts good. Try those tape recordings they make for bird dogs, Ive never used them before but some pointer guys I know swear by them.

We've tried the tapes on two different dogs without any success what so ever.

A gun shy dog is one of my worst fears..

Good Luck

I like the trap range program. The only thing I would do different would park the dog a good distance from the trap or rifle range and let the dog eat some good food while the shooting is going on and get closer to the range and less food as the dog responds. The problem is the dog was not socialized to guns and loud noises from the start. I would also not put too much time in a hog dog because most of them that are hunted enough get culled out real fast by the hogs. A hunting dog should not be gun shy.

Originally Posted By: patoloco I would also not put too much time in a hog dog because most of them that are hunted enough get culled out real fast by the hogs.

No offense intended but you probably havent had many hog dogs, and with that attitude not many good ones. Hog dogs take as much training as any other type of hunting dog.

One of my first nose dogs, hes probably 10 or so now, been run over twice and cut from nut to gut more times than I can count. Got all four legs but only three work and seen more hogs than the Jimmy Dean plant.
m_f04792647f294b49b1affdcf52e98cd6.jpg

Colorada Bob, no need to make an "enemy", I'll clarify, the dogs that I took to the trap range were wrecked when I GOT THEM.Not dogs I had raised or trained, as a last resort, why not give it a try???? Better than not in my opinion.

Ha! or really unlucky, hes now my best pard and is quite the philanderer. I work outta town and mrs Podunk takes care of em. She doesnt yet know his tricks. If theres a female in heat ol Goobers got to investigate. She stops by the ranch to feed him around 5 or 530 and then stays with my grandma when Im outta town. One day he comes up missing, mrs Podunk knew he was my favorite so she sets out looking for him. Finds em a half mile away penned up in a mans yard with a female bulldog. Upon seeing the truck he hopped the fence and loaded up. The man says, that dogs been at my house every day around noon then leaves around 430.He had slipped his collar and laid on it inside his house so mrs podunk wouldnt know he was loose.

Back