Picked up the 22-250 Edge Today

kel

Went and bought one in camo at lunch and had a Redfield 3x9x40 with the Accu-Range reticle mounted although with looking at the drop rates of the Hornady 55gr Vmax I think a regular reticle would've been good enough. Wont get to sight it in until tomorrow night though.

My first impressions? The trigger is the weak link of the gun. Now keep in mind that I have only shot factory guns with no trigger work so I don't know what a good trigger is supposed to feel like. I just know what feels right to me. I have Rugers, Remingtons, a Marlin, and those triggers seem to be better. My son has a Mossberg Plinkster and that trigger is hands down the worst I've ever felt. You can feel it scrape along before it releases. I don't feel any scraping as such with the Savage but I believe the pull weight is just too high. Don't have a scale so I'm not sure what it is. PM member Rotty measured his and actually did a trigger job but I think I'm going to use it as is and maybe get an aftermarket trigger when/if they come out.

I have no problem with the stock but the camo job is a little bit weak in that there are a few places where it is just white as if the camo covering had small drops of bleach spilled on it. Very small drops, and unless you really start looking you don't notice them. The camo appears to be a sheet laminated onto the stock as you can easily see the seam but it's smooth where the seam is so I don't know how they do apply that. The stock has a decent recoil pad built in.

The bolt seems just a little stiff opening but that may work in after a little use.

The safety is wide and fits my thumb great, maybe if it was just a bit quieter although sound wise it's not much different than my other guns.

I had the chance to fire only 6 rounds last night due to other commitments and propped the rifle on the deck and shot at my sight-in cardboard about 50 yards away. Not the most accurate way to do things but I normally prop it on my atv for 100 yard shots to sight in, also not the most accurate way. I was able to get it adjusted to my dot but tonight is where I'll back out to 100 and get a better idea of how it shoots.

Overall it has it's good and bad points but then again we're talking about a gun that costs $309 camo and $279 in black, with a detachable magazine. The magazine worked fine for me btw. I have no complaints because I was able to find things I didn't like about $400-500 rifles I looked at while I was shopping. But the trigger stands out as being the thing where cuts were made to reach that price.

Back