Howa or Savage?

DCM

I have been looking at two rifles recently and have narrowed it down to two choices. Both are package rifles with scopes. They are 30-06.

The Howa has a green stock that I think is a Hogue. It has a very nice recoil pad. I understand that these rifles have adjustable triggers and that is a plus. This rifle has a Nikko scope and the shop told me that they are good scopes. I had never heard of that brand before so do not know.

The Savage is also a package rifle and looks OK. The plastic stock sounds hollow when I tap it with my finger and it will not have the accutrigger. The scope is a Simmons.

The HOWA is $539 and the Savage is $399.

Which one would be the best choice for a hunting rifle. Accuracy of 1 inch at 100 yards would be adequate for what I need.

Thanks

Which savage, All in all I have had savage and howa. I will take my howa any day over the savage. Thats just me.

Mark2

I have both and like both. The draw with the Savage is being able to switch barrels at home. The Howa is metric threads and is alot harder to do by the do it yourselfer. The Savage should also have the Accutrigger which is adjustable as well. Both should shoot MOA or better. Id handle both before purchase and go from there. The $140 you save on the Savage would give you more for good glass if you need it. Good Luck.

If you are willing to settle for 1 in as a group size, then either will do. For odds of having a better group then go with the Savage. I love a rifle that will shoot as good or better than I can shoot it. Bang-Flop

I have shot and really like both companies. It depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are ever going to rebarrel, go with the savage. If you care that it is made in America, go with the savage. If you are looking for and amazingly smooth action, and a little nicer trigger go with the howa. The savage will probably have the edge in accuracy, also I don't like hogue stocks. Regardless of which you choose I would buy the rifle and scope seperate and not get a package.

I just returned from the shop and the Howa was sold last week. I guess that made my choice easier.

In order to get an accu-trigger, I will have to buy a more expensive Savage and it looks like I will do that.

Thanks for your replies.

1 Rifle to shoot without tinkering or swapping barrels Howa. It took me about $800 to get good accuracy with my savage. Savages are good if you plan on swapping barrels.

I have both. The Savage has been outstanding. It is a 7mm Rem Mag. It is a pre accu-trigger 110. Still shoots great after 13 years. My Howa has always been a tack driver and has a more traditional bolt and heavy barrel. The Savage has a stock like a 2x4. The Howa has a solid synthetic. If I'm talking accuracy, the Howa wins! The Savage is a great hunting rig, but the Howa is outstanding.

i have, i think, the same savage only in .270 win. it is a shooter. the simmons scope works fine, but i do plan to upgrade. heck of a bargain.

Originally Posted By: chefpierre1 Rifle to shoot without tinkering or swapping barrels Howa. It took me about $800 to get good accuracy with my savage. Savages are good if you plan on swapping barrels.

yea. being able to get factory and after market parts like, barrels, bolts,bolt heads,firing pins ect. is a big plus with Savage.

I own my share of Stevens and Savage.

Though the Howa's are smoooooth actions compared to the Savage line and are a couple steps up IMO.

Not many aftermarket stocks available for the newer center feed Savages that I know of. That is the biggest weakness to the Savage line to me. Would love to change stocks on my 7-08 without paying the coin for a Stockade or McMillan

Can't go wrong with either. Base model savage vs. howa houge. I'd go with the howa youll love the stock. Bought one last year in a 300 win mag. It is a little heavy, but I like a heavy gun.

Why not get the Savage with the Accustock instead of the package gun/cheapo stock?It's still less than the Howa and I'd bet the most accurate.

The sale of the Howa this week made Savage my only choice.

I intend to buy a Savage or two in the near future.

Thanks for all the advice.

Originally Posted By: DCMThe sale of the Howa this week made Savage my only choice.

I intend to buy a Savage or two in the near future.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm confused, is this the only gunshop that you are allowed to buy a rifle from? Buy the Howa/Vanguard from another dealer. There are only thousands of FFL's out there eager to sell firearms.

I'd pick a Vanguard/Howa any day of the week over a Savage. Sounds to me as thought your mind was already made up.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Originally Posted By: ole_270Not many aftermarket stocks available for the newer center feed Savages that I know of. That is the biggest weakness to the Savage line to me. Would love to change stocks on my 7-08 without paying the coin for a Stockade or McMillan

Bell and Carlson, HS Precision, PDC Custom, Sharp Shooter Supply, Richards Microfit, Boyd's (I think), Hogue. Those are some people that manufacture stocks for the savage off of the top of my head. You can find quite a bit a stockysstocks.com. If you weren't sure I hope this helps.

The problem you run into though is the center feed actions are relatively new and don't drop right into the old savage staggered feed stocks. Some companies are producing stocks for them already, but the big one is boyd's because they are cheap, and they aren't producing the center feed stocks yet. The want you to take a dremel to a staggered feed savage stock to make the center feed fit

Back