Scope eye..........

2muchgun

Okay, fess up. Who here has "scope eye" or a recoil induced scar. How did you get it?

I'll go first:

I have about a 3/16" scar right above my nose, between my eyebrows from a 444 Marlin. It doesn't really show up much anymore, but it's there if you look hard enough.

Got it sliding around the snow on my butt in order to get a shot at a running buck about 50 yds away.

I'm right handed and was set up to shoot at "11 o'clock". Well the buck came flyin' in behind me over my right("off")shoulder @ about "4 o'clock". He must have seen me move or heard my coat brush across the branches of the tree I was sitting in front of. He came to a dead stop, and so did I. I decided it was now or never, and began to spin around. He decided it was time to get out of Dodge. I hit him right in the spine with a 270gr Gold Dot as he was on an upward bound. He hit the ground like a pancake, DRT.

As I sat there, I felt a trickle run down my nose. "That had better be sweat", I thought. Nope, it was blood. I never even knew the Weaver 2.5x20 had got me. It ended up taking 2 handwarmers to soak up the blood and get it to stop. I thought "Wow, all the rounds I've shot in my life, and my first scope bite."
shocked.gif

To my dismay, I hit the buck right in the middle of the backstraps.
angry.gif
Golfball sized hole going in, baseball sized hole coming out! A section of spine was missing. You could fold the deer in half. What was left of the backstraps could have fit on a couple of hot dog buns.
cursing.gif

In retrospect, this may have been the best shot on a deer I've made, him runnin' one way, me swingin' the other. I was off balance, and my forehead confirmed that fact.

Later that night, I went to a party, and there was a 19-20 yr old kid there with the identical looking scar.
shocked.gif
Apparently Daddy's 7mm mag was the culprit.

I read an article years ago where Craig Boddington said if you don't have a scope scar, you simply haven't shot/hunted that much. Maybe he was right........

I was just in an awkward position, I guess. I've seen several guys just get lit up at the range. Blood gushin' as they run past. I have to turn my head to keep from laffin'.......
lol.gif

I haven't done that yet but I have seen it many times. Every time I know of it happening was while hunting and someone had to make a rushed shot. My dad did it with his 7mm Mag one year while elk hunting. He had to hurry and shoot an elk that surprised him and he never even got his cheek on the stock of the gun.

How many people have been walking for a long time in crappy country and when you finally tried to take a shot, you pulled your rifle up and found that your scope was full of snow?

Mount your scope with its rear end even with the rear end of the rifle's trigger guard, and it shouldn't bite you, even in prone position. Most people have their scopes set wayyyy to far rearwards.

Heck yeah I've got one. I've even re-opened it up on more than on occasion. Got my first one shooting at a beer bottle with my dads 7mm RM when I was about 14. It was a couple hundered yards out there and knew if I flinched it would miss. I took a slow trigger pull while only very lightly holding the rifle. I did get the bottle by the way.

Originally Posted By: bowhunt32Heck yeah I've got one. I've even re-opened it up on more than on occasion. Got my first one shooting at a beer bottle

Got a chuckle out of that.......
grin.gif

Haha, my wife got scope eye from my 30-06. I tried to show her how to hold and shoot it, but she didn't want to listen. 1 shot later and she had a black eye. I just laughed my butt off. She is still afraid to shoot that gun to this day.

It went so-so. The CZ turned in a couple of pretty small groups with 2 different loads. The 700 243 did not get enough time in. 3 different loads all shot 1.25" groups, but I only shot 5 of each. All 105 A-maxes. Both barrels were Ultra Bore Coated and I think a little more break in is necessary before I can draw any real conclusions.

My chrony died after the first set of 243 loads. Thought I had a backup battery. NOT.

Im thinkin' both will do better after a few more rounds down the tube.......

I had a 338 win mag ruger tang saftey mod i had a B&L on top of it everytime i shot it i could feel it tickel me. A friend came out and watched me shoot it and started yelling wooo woooo you dam neared got it. I told him yea it tickeles me just about every shot. I could just barely feel it on my eye brow. I ran 35 heavy rds threw it that day with no problems. The closes i have got is with a ruger #1 338win mag. I didnt hold onto the front forarm off the bags i forgot to and it kissed me but didnt open me up. We had been shooting 223s and 22-250s that day and i just grabbed it for the heck of it.

Weather conditions wasn't the best for shooting groups that day. Our lake looked like Lake Michigan.

I need to finish up my .243ai. I had to push this build back another month.

1k of medical bills rolled in from my fractured pelvis.

Hopefully ordering a barrel after the 15th of this month, and then have it screwed together. Still need some glass. I'm thinking a Barska, those any good? Grin.

I got hit across the bridge of my nose with a 243 when I was about 13 years old.Luckily it did'nt cut me it just hurt real bad.And I got a little nervous and pulled the trigger before I had my cheek down on the stock of a 12 gauge when I was shootin at a turkey.I had it loaded with 3 1/2" #4's.I was crawling on my belly out to where a tom was struttin and when I was about 40 yards away he saw me.Once he spotted me and took off I sat up and shot and got busted in the cheek pretty good.Did'nt cut me but it did leave a bruise.Scared the turkey too.
A friend of mine had to have 9 stitches between his eyes from a black powder rifle once though.And just about a month ago I saw another friend of mine get hit between the eyes with a scope that was on a 300WSM.

While target shooting I wear safety glasses. I've had it touch them before. Once while shooting .223s a friend wanted me to break out the ol 300. He shot it and got a nice bump on the brow and I laughed from a deep down healthy place. He gave some pretty crappy groups so I figured I would one up him. Well wouldn't you know I was still in small caliber mode and didn't put such a good hold on that old beast, and it popped me in the brow. Neither one of us sprung a leak but it didn't feel so good. Memories...even the painful ones are always better with a witness!

Back