central oregon cougar hunt camp

baltz526

A cougar hunt camp is being done feb 19th - 28th on the winter range out of fort rock. the majority of the hunt area is a closed to motorized access, muledeer winter range. This is just a central camp with shared scouting info/campfire for the hunters that show up. The goal is to learn how to kill cougars by tracking/calling/glassing. No games, no prizes, no fees. If you have a oregon cougar tag, your in. Drunken loud slobs need not show up. OSP officer may join us for a few hunts, so keep it clean type of gathering.Pm for location if interested

Last edited:
Good luck! Do you have any "speakers", that will be there to share knowledge? Is there any type of "program" for the nine days?
Is this just a hunt to get a bunch of guys in the same area to try and thin out the lions?
Any more info would be great.

Last edited:
This really sounds neat. I had thought about putting on a similar cougar hunting seminar out that way 3 yrs ago. I shed hunt that area in april and have seen first hand the damage cougars are doing to the winter deer herd. Last year I found a record (personal) 19 cougar kills. never in my life had I seen so much carnage in the woods. Most of the kills (13) were younger bucks (3 point and smaller). I just can't imagine what it will be like this year.

I may send some tag holders out your way. these guys are great hunters with lots of experience, just not stealthy enough to get a long tail yet. Maybe you can steer them to a successful hunt.

thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We want to kill cougars, this area has cougars. We killed one 9yr old male last year with 8 hunters out. There are hunters with skills to kill cougars and we will be sharing knownledge about cougar hunting. But this is not a commercial gathering in any way. no one will be selling anything, charging any fees. Basicly a group of hunters attempting to save some deer/elk/porkupines from being turned into cougar crap.

I agree with saving deer, and elk, But as a dog man I would just as soon see every "Porky" killed.
When OR changes the law to let us run lions with dogs, I'll help them out.Until then, I'll help the hunters in Utah and Nevada, by killing lions in those states.

Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests. It is a hassle to pull quils out of dogs, but dogs learn. At least mine have after a couple encounters in years past. It has been years since i saw one while out hunting. Have not even seen a track. Just a few road kills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: baltz526Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests. It is a hassel to pull quils out of dogs, but dogs learn. At least mine have after a couple encounters in years past. It has been years since i saw one while out hunting. Have not even seen a track. Just a few road kills.

First time I have ever heard someone say that quill pigs have a job to do. I guess I do too that is to exterminate them.

Funny how opinions change on critters in differnt parts of the country, here in MI you shoot a porky every chance you get, they can do a lot of damage to log cabins, and are pretty much a nuiciance animal around here.

But I agree, they all have theyre place, and if the forests in your area need some thinning, leave them be.

We never let a porky go if we can help it, pulling quills
our of your dog is bad enough, try pulling them out of
your mule's nose.

There is one type of porkupine that just went extinct. Cougar over predation in the south warners of nevada has eaten them all. Thanks to california cougar hunting ban, allowing the cougars to over populate. Extinction is not a goal any hunter should want. I think we need to worry about cougar over population Due to voter banned hound hunting of cougar in oregon. In the mean time i'll keep trying to eat as many cougars as possible. By calling and tracking them.

I have no trouble tracking lions, but I darn sure don't do it to save Quill pigs. Until they change the law, I'm gonna kill every porky I come across. You're right ,dogs do learn, but when you have a 3500$ dog, with a throat full of quills maybe you will change your opinion.
I say the forest is thin enough.

You assume i do not have dogs? What i know is there are no porkupines to worry about around here. Pretty soon the anti's may start the save the porkupine campaign And you may well be their poster boy. The porkupine is the animal that tells how bad the cougar problem is, in an area. If you find multipal porkupine, there is not a cougar problem. If you never find any porkupines You have a serious cougar problem. I pray to start finding porkupines again, It may show that the cougar population has crashed.

Baltz, I think what you are doing is a good thing, but I do hate quill pigs. You are right, where the lion numbers are high there aren't any.We have used that trick for years when we are scouting.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKSounds like a p-pine distress might have a place in a good Lion calling program. One of the digital callers has a porkupine distress sound, All i have ever heard them do is a grunting noise.

I have a P-Pine distress on my WT. The WT sounds are actual animal sounds. The P-Pine distress is pretty wild.

Think it might work on a Lion?

Back