A Rare Opportunity...

Knapper

I had a rare and great opportunity this past weekend. I called a friend to see if he wanted to get out and do some calling with me on Saturday and he asked if it would be alright if he brought along his seven year old son. I was happy to bring him along and I told my friend that if the coyote hunting got to be too slow, we could try and scare up some rabbits as well. He told me he would be thrilled if we could even call one in that his son could see. As the weekend got closer, the weather was not looking promising, but on Friday night, we decided to give it a go anyway.

I stopped by to pick them up at 6am and after breakfast was done, we headed out to one of my favorite areas. Unfortunately, the wind was already howling at around 20mph and it was snowing pretty steady even though the forecast only called for 20 percent after noon. We turned off the pavement a little after 7:00 and headed for the first stand. Apparently it was meant to be, because everything worked perfect for about the next 15 minutes.

As soon as we stepped out of my Jimmy, it stopped snowing and the wind died down to about 10mph. We hiked over a couple of sand dunes and set up with me calling cross-wind and my friend and his son looking down-wind. I blew one series on my custom ArkyYoter rabbit distress call and I heard a shot from over my shoulder! I turned just in time to see the coyote spinning in circles at about 70 yards. No more than 30 or 40 seconds had passed from when I first started calling…
ohmy.gif

After we sat down, my friend got his boy situated with his .22 magnum. He reminded him to hold still and keep his head up and a sharp eye out. When I started calling, my friend started scanning around, only to hear his son whisper, “Hey Dad, there’s one!” The boy actually saw the coyote first! Sure enough we had a young male running in from just over the next dune. It closed to about 70 yards and my friend told his boy, “Get your gun ready.” When he lifted the rifle up, the coyote saw the movement and stopped, facing them square on. My friend whispered, “You better shoo…” and bang, the gun went off. He drilled that coyote right at the base of the throat with his .22 mag at 70 yards! It was a perfect shot!

09-12-12CESandDune-b.jpg

I am not sure who was more excited, my friend or his son! I don’t think he ever expected him to get a shot, let along nail it! After many cheers and high-fives, we took some pictures and headed on to the next stand. Unfortunately the wind came back with a vengeance and we had to give up on the calling. We did manage to scare up a rabbit for his boy to round out the day.

Sometimes it is hard for a youngster to be patient and sit still in a stand, and it is even harder for us adults to be patient with the youngster, but in this case everything worked out perfect and I am sure we are well on our way to producing one more future coyote hunter and hunting advocate.
thumbup1.gif

09-12-12CESandDune-a.jpg

Here is one more picture of one very excited little boy!

Knapper

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hunt of the month??? i think sooo
congradulations to your son tell him he did a great job of shooting , i know grown men who dont shoot that well LOL.

Back