.223 for fox?

MWest

I have recently went from a 22-250 to a .223 do to the fact I want to shoot fox and keep the fur and I'm shooting Hornady 55 grain V-max molys. I know it would be alright for yotes but I have been wondering if this is a good choice for fox.
My hope is that I can use this gun as a combo gun for coyotes and fox at the same time being fur friendly.
What do u think?

Anyone have any pics of entrance/exit wounds of fox's killed with a .223?

thanks,..

We have had success using .223 with foxes, as long as it's a clean shot it is ok. I had one quartering away from me and hit it's front leg and proceeded to blow out his chest. The pics are too graphic to post.

I've shot a few foxes in my time and have come to the conclusion, along with several other friends of mine who call foxes, that there is "NO" .224 diameter bullet (22 caliber) that is fur friendly at centerfire speeds. I have destroyed fur with a 22 Hornet and 35 gr V-max, Gray Fox take it tough with even a 22 Magnum and 33 gr V-Max at called ranges. When hunting Reds you will need the reach of a centerfire, they don't normally come as close when called, so I suggest using a 17 caliber, either the new 17 Fireball, or the 17 Remington, I have been using a 17 Ackley Hornet with alot of success this year so far.

Your odds are better at killing a coyote with a well placed 17 Fireball/17 Remington shot than they are of not harming the fur on a fox with a 22 caliber centerfire.

This guy was shot with a 17 Ackley Hornet 20 gr V-Max @3850fps, at approx 125-150 yards, can't even find the entrance. The blood on his head is from another fox that was laying on top of him in the bed of my truck. These thoughts are just mine, others may vary, and they are entitled to their opinions too.
DifficultHillRedFox.jpg

I shot my first two greys a few weeks ago. I just happened to be trying a different bullet. I typically shoot the 55gr Vmax this day I was shooting a Rem 55gr Hollow Point Power Loct. Both were shot at approx 40yds both broadside in the shoulder both dropped dead (little squirming), both bullets exited w/ a .25" exit wound. Shot a coyote w/ the same load at 100yds, exact same performance. I was pushing that bullet w/ 24.7gr of Xterminator lit w/ a cci 400 primer. This isn't a real hot load, but by no means a reduced load. I suspect were I shooting the Vmax on those little greys I would've had fox parts everywhere?

Last edited:
The V-Max can be explosive on fox at normal speeds in the .223. If you want to use them try a reduced load. .22WMR is great for fox if you have one.

thanks for the reply's, the only rifle's I have smaller than .223 are a couple .22lr's so I'll start looking for a better "all purpose" round. maybe an early christmas present for my self. Anyway it gives me an excuse to buy a new gun, I just want a caliber thats fur friendly for fox, has enough coyote taking ability, and can reach a decent distance. thanks again for the reply's...

I agree with Pruson, the 17 Centerfires are pretty easy on Fox and you still have the ability to kill Coyotes. I've shot Fox with everything from a 22lr., 22mag, 17Rem, .222, .223, 243, & 6mm. There were only 2 calibers that were real Pelt friendly, the 22mag. and 17Rem.

DSC00353.jpg

I shot this grey with 55gr V-max using H335 with rem 7 1/2 primers. The blood you see is the entrance hole....no exit hole. It all depends on how you reload them. The only time I get large exit holes with them is if I hit them at the wrong angle and hit the front shoulder. I hit the front shoulder on this one but he was angling towards me. I have hit them in the front shoulder angling away and have blown out the front chest. I have taken multiple cats weighing between 18-27 lbs without exit holes. Here are a couple that I have pics of. Same bullet...same load. Distances varied
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Originally Posted By: JReedThe V-Max can be explosive on fox at normal speeds in the .223. If you want to use them try a reduced load. .22WMR is great for fox if you have one.

Great answer! A .223 can downloaded to .22 Hornet (even lower if desired) energies. And red fox, even though they ARE more timid and inclined to stay in the open (unlike greys) can be, nevertheless, called in close. Decoys, scent control and camouflage go a long way to enticing them in closer.....Mike

Back