The Everything AR Info Thread

I posted on one of the " different brands" links but all of it was over a year old so I thought I would ask the ? here. Why does no one mention the Colts? I have a match grade Hbar 16 I bought years ago when they said they were going to quit making them. I allways wanted one so I figured I had bettter get one then. I have been nocking around the idea of swapping the top for a longer one and trying it on the yote hunt? HOOVY

The Colt is, was and will continue to be one of the more expensive as well as desireable of the AR15s. If you wish to trade a very clean, all original Colt Upper for a Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS etc, etc Varmint/Target it will not be hard to do. Unless you have a good trigger in the Colt Lower you might consider swapping the whole gun for the congiguration your wanting with a good trigger. Make sure you know the value of your Colt before swapping.

well I was just thinking of getting a new upper. Galati has some real good prices on uppers and just the barrels. Can't decied which way to go??? One other ? why do the longer barrels have 1/9 twist and stock is 1/12??

THANKS !! James

The slower twists were used on the earlier guns and evolved as the rifles were changed diff types of ammunition, bullet weights etc. I think for the most part at this time the 1 in 9 is most common with a lot of folks useing a 1 in 8 or even a 1 in 7 to stabalize the heavier bullets. If you are wanting Varmint/Target type accuracy you will probably want a chrome moly or stainless steel barrel with a twist appropriate for the bullet weights you intend to use, probably a 1 in 9 unless you intend to shoot 55 gr with a poly tip or heavier which you may want a 1 in 8. BTW you will find the diff twists in all barrel lengths.

I bought a upper for my H-bar colt. It has a 1-12 twist and I shoot soft points with it. It will out shoot the original colt 1-9 twist. Puts it to shame in fact!! they are 55 grains. I'm not looking for a light weight carry upper with a 1-12 twist. When you buy a bolt action rifle you get a 1-12 twist. Why not the AR. I dont care to shoot the heavy stuff like a 62 grain or heavier bullet. A 223 is already slow, shoot the heavy stuff it gets even slower. Havn't shot a coyote yet that didn't die from a 55 grainer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Just to add to the above twist comments.

I have a 1/7 carbine that was my first AR and it dosen't shoot the 55gr well at all. 4-5" at 100yds at best. Go to the 60-75gr and it's a whole different gun.

I have a 1/9 that's a 20" stainless and it has simillar perfomance. It still is not as good as I would have liked with the 55gr bullets. But with the 60s... wow, what a difference.

Depends on what you want to shoot for lead.

I've got a 16" Colt chrome lined 1/7 twist light weight barrel that shoots 50 gr HP's and ballistic tip right at 1". Had a 1/8 twist Kreiger that shot everything I tried under 3/4" and that ranged from 77 gr SMK's to 45 gr Winchester white box ammo.

You can't overstabilize a bullet, your barrel may not like a certain bullet and you may get a bullet to come apart in mid air but doubtful at 223 velocities.

Originally Posted By: smokingunim looking for a quality 26 inch 1-6 or 1-7 bull barrel for my AR. Any suggestions would be great.

Too long, stick with a 24 or better yet a 20.
I had a 24 once, sold it....couldnt get it out of the truck window fast enough.

What bullet are you wanting to shoot?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the good links. Questions now. Are the 2 stage triggers like the accutriggers on savages?And will it slow down my 2nd and 3rd shots unlike a single stage trigger?Like a little pause in it.

Back