Yancy-Help with the cages!

huntingal

Yancy, I have read and followed your cages trapping tips, no takers yet.
Right now I am set up in an old barn with lots of cat sign, they are using it as a toliet. I'll explain my setup then everyone can offer thier opinions, suggestions. I'll keep all posted as to my results.
I set the cage against the wall, not right in the corner, with the most sign, covered the bottom wire and pan/trigger with the duff/litter/dirt in the barn. In the back of the cage I placed a chicken bone (just had one to get rid of)and some fresh cat poo that was right there. I hung two twigs from the top, one was dipped in gland the other in a commercial lure. Gave the set a shot of cat pee for good measure. Anyone think I over did the smells? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I covered the back top and sides of the cage with available boards. The coverings are not solid with the exception of the back side. They also do no reach all the way to the open end of the cage. Is this a problem? The trap has been in place for four days, no takers. I however do no see any fresh cat tracks either. I will try to get some picts to post.
Looking for anyone and everyones insight here!

Hey this is cool,I caught my first bobcat in a barn with a live trap so I might be able to help,if truth be known it was luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I really didnt know what I was doing then but I'll tell you what worked for me.I sat mine by one of the horse stalls and covered the wire on the bottom with with dirt.I used tuna as bait.I dumped a little at the entrance of the trap so the cat could get a little taste and then I dumped the rest of the tuna in the back.I lucked out and had a bobcat in my trap the next day.There was a big pile of feathers and some fur in the horse stall where it had been eating quail,pheasant,pigeons and rabbits.If there is sign that a bobcat has been there recently it will be back.It might be a while so I would leave it there for at least a week before you move it to a different location.
The only thing that I could really suggest that might help is to put a can of tuna or a dead rabbit in the back of the trap.The reason I say that is because a bobcat doesnt use its nose as much as it uses its ears and eyes to get a meal.So it probably wouldnt pay much attention to the chicken bone I wouldnt think.A can of tuna smells alot stronger and if a bobcat happened to wonder into the barn it really wouldnt have to try hard to smell that stuff.Same thing with a rabbit Im guessin.Im not an expert when it comes to trapping but I would give a different kind of bait a try and see if that doesnt help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I can't see where you are messing up, You just have to wait the cats out sometime. I agree with Ok rattler, just leave it a while longer, you might throw a piece of fresh Beef or chicken liver inside the back of the cage, I don't leave any bait or scent outside the cage cause cats like to roll in and on it sometime, and forget about going in to roll and do their thing, and that is where you want them to roll, on the pan. that's just my way and it works for me. LOL Yancy

Thanks for all the help, it keeps my hopes up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I freshened the lure with a different smell. I have been told that catching cats is a waiting game. The trap has been in place for a week so far. Although, I haven't caught anything yet I also havn't seen any fresh cat tracks in the snow outside, so they probably havn't been back yet.
Keep you all posted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back