Good load for dog town 50 gr. bullets for .223 Rem.

Greybeard

Anyone out there use 50 gr.dog town Bullets from Midway? Im shooting .223 rem. I need a good load. Please help.I just baught a box of 500. Never baught bulk bullets before,hope their any good.

From what I've been reading, there are a whole load of powders that shoot well in 223's.
I have two rifles in 223, and I've found that Winchester small rifle primers shoot best in my rifles. Also, H-335 and H-4895 powders shoot best in my rifles. I'm not answering your question on the specific bullet you'll be shooting, I know. But, you'll have to get some of the usual suspect powders and try them in your particular rifle. A load that shoots well in one of my rifles may not perform in your rifle. I get exceptional accuracy with 26.0 grains of H-4895 and several different 50 grain bullets I use, and 52 grain bullets too, same powder charge, with Win small rifle primers.
748, IMR-4198, BL(c)-2, H-322 and other powders all shoot well in 223's, in addition to the ones I use.

Have fun finding a load that shoots in your rifle. I LOVE that process of finding good loads.

Martyn

I started with 25g of Benchmark...moved up in .2g increments and hit a very sweet spot at 26.5g of Benchmark!!!
It is very accurate out of my AR. Benchmark seems to be the go to powder for .223.
Hope this helps
Chris

I use N133 started at 23 grains and worked up to 24 grains
found a accuracy node 23.4 and accuracy fell of at 23.8.

This was in an Dtech AR.

I really like these bullets for accuracy I use them in 3 different .22 centerfire rifles and although they are not quite as accurate as Match Bullets they are very close. I have not been able to shoot any one hole groups but [beeep] close several times.

One thing I have done to improve accuracy is to weigh the bullets they do vary as much as +/- 1 grain in weight. I sort them in to batches and this really gets them close to Match Bullet accuracy.

But for hunting purpose you may not want to go the trouble of weighing bullets.

jme
arky

Greybeard, Win 748 is a wonderful powder for the 223 with both the 50 and the 55.

With the 50's start off at 27.0,27.5,28.0 and you will hit a very sweet spot in there.

Most of the 14 twists will love 27.5 or 28.0, but if you have a fast twist, it will spike up the pressure a notch, so yours may like 27.0.

24.0g-24.5g of H322 is a winner in my rifle with the 50's.

26.0-26.5g of Benchmark is also extremely accurate with the 50's.

I have always got the very best accuracy in every Rem 700 223 and custom by seating the bullets to just barely touch the lands or a light jam.

Good luck!

Quote:
I started with 25g of Benchmark...moved up in .2g increments and hit a very sweet spot at 26.5g of Benchmark!!!
It is very accurate out of my AR. Benchmark seems to be the go to powder for .223.
Hope this helps
Chris

That is my go to load for 50gr bullets in my .223 as well. Work up as it is listed as a max load on Hogdon's site.

I'm getting good results with both H4895 and N133 out of my CZ. Chrono'd at 3400 fps. Groups are consistantly under an 1" at 100 yards and I'll take that anyday with a cheap bullet. BC is pretty lousy, (I think Mid south said .134), but they'll work fine out to 300 yards.
Whoops! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif just checked my notes, MidSouth says the BC on the 50 grain .224 Extreme is .193. Better, but still not great.

Last edited:
I guess I'm somewhat the 'odd ball' most of the time, but I prefer W-748 and the Ramshot X-Terminator and TAC powders for my .204s and .223s, especially with the lighter weight bullets (40-55gr)..

It meters really well for large quantity loadings and the Ramshot burns a lot cleaner than some of the others..

Back