keeping your traps from freezing

nightwatchman

do you guys put anything in your dirt(sifted dirt) to keep it from freezing (if you can) or do you just put wax paper down on your pans to keep them from freezing...
what do you guys recommend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

i use peat moss dig your bed put the peat in and bed your trap then i'll all but cover the trap with peat then i'll just use enough dry dirt to cover

The best i've found is waxed sand,poleyester,and buckwheat hulls.Pour some waxed sand in your hole and level it around the bottom. Push a ball of poleyester under the trap pan and bed your trap in the waxed sand (not letting your trap touch ground dirt.) Now put some buckwheat hulls in the center of your trap around the pan(not covering the jaws.)Brush or leave very little hulls on top of the pan.finish off your set with the waxed dirt. I carry a pair of scizzors with me to cut leaves or grass over my set to match surrounding area,just enough to camoflauge a little bit,but not enough to freeze together as a bunch...Always put your set in an area that drains.

thanks guys...

another question... how long do you guys boil your traps... i was told to use walnut hulls to boil my traps and was told to boil them for like 2 hours... im not thrilled about the 2 hour thing and im thinking as long as its boiling it shouuld be good... for those of you that boil traps how long do you do it???

you have to keep the bed dry... if you don't, then moisture will whick up and lock down your covering when it gets really cold...

waxed paper then two inches of dry dirt... bed the trap then cover w/more dry dirt...

if you are cat trapping just leave them exposed

Here is my method using common table salt.

Hole and trap bed dug with salt in the bottom and trap in place. Note the imported dry dirt.

trapping045.jpg

Trap is bedded, pan cover, more dry dirt with salt over entire area.

trapping047.jpg

Set finished with a light covering of dry dirt.

trapping049.jpg

Results.
trapping084-1.jpg

As others have said, imported dry dirt is a must when dealing with frozen ground and freeze/thaw conditions.

Randy

i try to avoid salt whenever possible...

salt is very hard on your equipment.... i hate using salt on my traps but when the weather goes bad i am forced too.....

thanks for the help fellas....

im sure ill have more questions as the week goes by...
im prepping the traps tonight and getting them ready for sets on christmas eve.... if im lucky ill have the best christmas present of all come thursday morning.. a big bushy coyote in one of them...

night'

don't wanna burst your bubble but rarely do you catch a coyote on the firts night w/a set.... sometimes yes, more often, no...... just too much human scent still around...

good luck w/you holiday trapping... we'll expect pictures of your catches...

hny

Back