Christensen Arms

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3246346 - 06/09/20 10:47 AM Re: Compact rifle options in 243 [Re: Burnsome...]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
Pretty much most of the rifles I own that I use regularly would be considered youth/compact rifles. I just cut the stocks to length or replace them with youth length stocks. Whether the rifle is worth thousands or hundreds it isn't worth a thing if I can't shoot it.

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3246352 - 06/09/20 01:07 PM Re: Compact rifle options in 243 [Re: Burnsome...]
George Foster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NY
I have never owned a compact rifle but I do have a pair of Ruger MKII's, one in 243 and the other in 6mm Rem. I can honestly say they both will shoot five shot groups of 1/2", the best I have done is 3/8" with a Sierra 75gr HP and 50.5gr RL19 in the 6mm Rem. I also have shot a five shot group of 7/16" with the 100gr Sierra Sptz. with 45.5gr of RL19 in the 6mm Rem. Day in day out both rifles will average about 3/4" groups for five shots. I have went as small as 1/8" three shot groups in both rifles.

Edited by George Foster (06/09/20 01:09 PM)

#3246594 - 06/13/20 11:04 AM Re: Compact rifle options in 243 [Re: Burnsome...]
Three 44s Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Washington St.
Anyone that thinks they can pay under $400 out the door for a new centerfire rifle needs to back to a friend willing to kick them in the rear if they truly believe it should be the quality of an expensive rifle!

That said, I own a good number of “cheap” guns! I just have no allusions of grandeur about them!

I ranch so the idea of a compact inexpensive rifle with a detachable magazine is very very appealing to me. I found satisfaction to that interest in a Ruger American Compact in .223. Ruger does not catalog that chambering in the Compact now and that is too bad.

I finally did find a honey hole load for it but it was not easy. I think it was a combination of firing enough rounds and some cleaning. Read, I likely lapped the barrel myself!

We had a wicked late winter storm here a year and a half ago and we were already calving, the Compact racked up 8 coyotes in 7 consecutive days. One kill stands out in particular.

A coyote was walking away in a cow trail carved out in deep snow, I got it to pause, its back just visible above the snow. At the shot it folded but I took my attention of off it looking for any remaining coyotes and in that brief time it crawled on down the trail. We tracked via a huge blood trail for about 160 yds but we counted it finished.

Back home I used Google Earth and to my surprise I found that the coyote was standing at 305 yds at the shot. From my sight in, the distance and my hold I likely sent the bullet through some snow before it struck the predator!

As shooters many of us bemoan the passing of the Remington 788. I own a few of them myself. My 22-250 until the barrel gave out was a death ray to coyotes (it’s canjar single set trigger deserves honorable mention however) so I get the allure!

However, we may have “lost” the 788 but in its place are a whole plethora of inexpensive gun choices that have sprung up.

Three44s

#3246736 - 06/15/20 07:33 PM Re: Compact rifle options in 243 [Re: Burnsome...]
Coyote#1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: KY
A fella generally buys what he likes best.. IMO the Tikka is a very good suggestion and another often overlooked light & very accurate out of the box rifle is the Howa..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.