Spell Checking

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Some of us are more handicapped in this area than others. While the PM software doesn't include a spell checker & it's not cheap to add one, there are free tools to do the job. The google toolbar includes a good spell checker. For Firfox users, you can get it here:

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT3/intl/en/index.html

For Internet Explorer go here:

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?rd=f

These download & install quickly & are easy to use.

There are likely other free tools out there as well. I just happen to know about these.

Last edited:
I'm not picking on anyone. I've been using these things for quite a while. If you want to use them, they're free.

I can spell... I just can't type....lol. What my mind is thinking is seldom what my finger do. I really should go back and check spelling and grammar. Either that or do my posts in word and copy them here.

Quote:
I can spell... I just can't type....lol. What my mind is thinking is seldom what my finger do. I really should go back and check spelling and grammar. Either that or do my posts in word and copy them here.

Amen to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
guys that can't spell were in school before phoenitics were introduced, get it?

I hope that was sarcastic. English is not a very phonetic language, and the introduction of "Huked on Foniks" and the teaching of phonetics have destroyed the American language, in my opinion.

Thanks Stu! I just installed spell checker... I think it took all of 20 seconds...
cool.gif
grin.gif

I use the Google bar also. Yes some of the spelling is a horror. I don't understand why if there is a tool available that one would be proud of not being able to communicate properly. I can assure you my spelling is nothing to write home about but the checker at least makes me feel that I am not making a complete fool of myself.

Another hit on our language has been phone texting. I can tell when a phone texter posts also.

I think tools like "spell check" are great, but please understand some of us went to school before the days of "no child left without a computer". Having said that, please be kind enough to cut bad spellers a bit of slack and just get back to enjoying this site. Remember, none of us are quite perfect yet. I sometimes get a laugh out of these unintentional spelling horrors and these days that's a gift! The bell rang, school's out!!

it isn't like anyone is grading your paper, but you are trying to communicate. if your spelling is so bad that people don't want to bother wading through it to understand you, you have tools available to easily clean it up a bit.

Since I started this thread most, if not all, major browsers now have spell checking built right in.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishit isn't like anyone is grading your paper, but you are trying to communicate. if your spelling is so bad that people don't want to bother wading through it to understand you, you have tools available to easily clean it up a bit.

Since I started this thread most, if not all, major browsers now have spell checking built right in.

Amen Stu! I don't look down on people for the commonly mis-spelled words, but if I have to read a sentence multiple times....then I lose interest pretty quick and move on.

Chupa

Back