Remington 660 Recall

Camo

I have a Remington model 660 in 308, and I found this article about a recall on all pre 1979 because of a malfunctioning trigger. What are your thoughts on this. Is it worth it to send it in even though its my primary deer gun. The gun was never shot before I bought, and it is 100% stock parts. Will getting this change lower the price I could get from my collector freind who offered me 1200 for it. The recall is only because the trigger can be manipulated to fire while the saftey is on. Heres the link to the article. For anyone who reads and responds thanks in advance.

Model 660 Saftey Program

If your friend offered $1200 for that rifle then sell the dang thing to him just like it is and go buy yourself a new Remington Custom Shop Model 7 with the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You'll both be VERY happy and you won't need to worry yourself about the trigger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Remington Custom Shop

$bob$

OK.... Here's a simple solution. Get a Rifle Basix trigger from anywhere.. I get mine here....

Rifle Basix Triggers for Remingtons at Midway

Pick one of these that suits you and then read the technical notes and measure your trigger.

If yours is one that the new trigger will fit then carefully remove your old one and save it in case you ever change your mind about selling the gun as a collectors item.

Install the new trigger which will be safer and have much better function and feel and keep hunting with your old favorite.

Problem solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

$bob$

Last edited:
Better yet, leave the gun alone. I have a 600 in 6mm Rem and wouldn't dare part with it. A friend just sent his 308 660 back to Remington. They put a new trigger in that will allow you to open the bolt while the safety is "on". If you are happy with the gun, leave it as is. Mine is staying stock.

I have two 600s - one in .222 and one in .308, and I see no problem with the way they work. Actually I like it that the bolt handle is held down when the safety is on. I have had instances where the bolt handle on other guns has caught on something and partially opened during transport. If I took the safety off and pulled the trigger after jumping a huge deer and all it did was "click".... Needless to say, I would be [beeep].
As for the trigger being adjusted low enough to cause accidental discharge, that is ridiculous, There are thousands of other rifles that you can do the same thing to.

The 600/660 Remingtons along with the Model 788 were and still are some of the best guns around for the common hunter. They were reasonably priced, shot extremely well, and are very reliable.
I wish I had one in every caliber made.

Back