Palmetto state ptac heavy melonite upper

Well I finally got my upper after almost a month and two phone calls later I got the 16 inch hbar with midwest handguard I'm actually at the range as I'm typing this breaking it in I will get back with y'all in a few I'm going to be shooting
Nosler bt 40 grain
Win white box 45 jhp
American eagle 50 grain varmint tipped
Vmax 55 grain
Breaking in with 100 rounds of 55 grain Walmart value pack

ok so I just got back from the range. the quality of this upper for the price is unbeatable I fired 220 rounds today fast and slow not one hiccup. like I said before I tried several didn't types of ammo, lets start from the worst to the best.
1.american eagle varmint tipped
2.hornady vmax
3.nosler bt
4.win white box

All 5 shot groups only cooling when got to a different load
ok so with the American eagle I was getting real inconsistent results im going to say 1 and a half groups I really don't know if it was the gun or the ammo its self.
it didn't like the 55 grain vmax either, I mean it will kill but I could only get inch groups maybe a tiny bit under didn't shoot to bad. the nosler bt 40 grain shot excellent out of the rifle you could cover the group with a quarter. and the ol win white box was unbelievable with a five shot group that you could cover with a dime now that's good stuff couldn't believe it shot four five shot groups and all of them were like this, so all in all its a winner for me so far, time to get some blood on it

Last edited:
What twist is your ptac upper? I have one with 1 in 9 and have only shot the 55gr vmax with around 1.5" groups at 100yd and after seeing your results might try some winchester white box.

Any more word on how this upper shoots by you or any of the other buyers of these uppers?

Still would like to see some pictures.

I have PTAC with a lightweight profile barrel I need to slap on a lower and try out. I picked it up on a sale right before the most recent panic and never got around to matching it to one of my lowers. This post gives me hope, but I would like to see some pics.

Back