Feral cats

If they're your pets; please keep up with them. Other people shouldn't have to deal with your animals on they're property. Much less how they screw up ecosystems, however small they are. My cats are kept up as pets & if they disappear, I failed them as an animal owner.

Im not fond of cats but around here I can tell the difference between a mangy wild cat and somebodys pet. If my yorkie runs into a woods or someone eles property does that make it a feral dog. No its somebodys pet that got loose.

Originally Posted By: gmeIm not fond of cats but around here I can tell the difference between a mangy wild cat and somebodys pet. If my yorkie runs into a woods or someone eles property does that make it a feral dog. No its somebodys pet that got loose.
If you love that Yorkie then keep it up or it could very well become a Coyote Prey Statistic.
frown.gif

"No its somebodys pet that got loose."

And that is where your problem begins...unfortunately for you and your "pet" I cant tell the difference between a pet that got loose and an owner that simply believes his animals running at large are not a problem. As stated, either way they wont be coming home. Lock 'em up, it's that simple.

Originally Posted By: gme
"... but around here I can tell the difference between a mangy wild cat and somebodys pet. If my yorkie runs into a woods or someone else's property does that make it a feral dog. No its somebody's pet that got loose."

The problem with that theory is that a lot of people get tired of a pet - it becomes too much trouble, or it is sick, and the vet wants eleventeen million to fix it, so it is off to the country for a one way ride.

When it is running loose... mangy is not the issue. Something or someone is likely to bring it down.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "cats almost always blink when they get hit in the head with a ball pein hammer"

Probably not as fun as shooting them, but both get the job done I guess.

Also some peoples pet cats can also destroy, hunt and damage bird populations. It isn't just the feral cats that do damage. If they are in the field, they will do damage, they will be shot. I have a special load for them, 110 gr Vmax out of my .300 Weatherby mag chronoed at 3878 fps. You thought prairie dogs blew up!

There are a good two dozen in my backyard woods. Can't bring myself to shoot them though. Maybe when that 2 dozen turns to 4 my mind may change??

Originally Posted By: hammer0419There are a good two dozen in my backyard woods. Can't bring myself to shoot them though. Maybe when that 2 dozen turns to 4 my mind may change??

With 2 dozen now I don't think you'll be waiting long before you have 4 dozen...

I need a pellet rifle for sure! I live in a town and my neighbors hoard cats like crazy...there are probably dozen or so just in their house. As a side note while unfreezing my pipes a couple weeks ago one of the neighbors cats was under the house with me and I was between him and his only exit...seeing as how I was already pissed from my pipes freezing when kitty kitty got close his backside got roasted by my propane torch!
smile.gif

Well, I identified 2 more cats that don't belong here tonight. The first one; I was walking to get the tractor to take care of trash. Out of the ordinary I didn't have a gun but its raining & just past dusk. I did however have my KillLight XLR100 with a white LED. I grabbed the .223 & continued about my business. Next was a tabby with a bunch of white & very burly looking. This one looked similar to 2 of our cats. He didn't run from the tractor (ours are used to it). I did notice it's hair was quite a bit longer but no chances are taken when using a gun. I will be watching & they will meet their fate soon enough.

Originally Posted By: hammer0419There are a good two dozen in my backyard woods. Can't bring myself to shoot them though. Maybe when that 2 dozen turns to 4 my mind may change??

There's already 4 dozen there, you just don't know it.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerI don't know a stinking thing about anyone's cats!! I have not seen them!! Now where are my post hole diggers??

Post hole diggers?! they're crow/coon/fox/yote/buzzard/cat/dog food around here. Hey, they gotta eat too.

i have chickens and i can not tell you how many feral cats my 17 takes out a year if its got a collar it lives but if not its fair game meow kpow

In parts of Florida and I'm sure other places they catch, spay and neuter then release back where they were caught, I'm not a cat hater, but cant stand a feral cat, I think they are the most destructive little bastards...[beeep]

Originally Posted By: potomacduckJust set a few Conibear 220's. That will eliminate your feral cat problem.

Not anywhere near as fun as using a high powered rifle though.

Originally Posted By: gmeIf my yorkie runs into a woods or someone eles property does that make it a feral dog. No its somebodys pet that got loose.

That's a dog. I live in the woods and when I see a cat well you know the end of this story.

Originally Posted By: mike_bOriginally Posted By: potomacduckJust set a few Conibear 220's. That will eliminate your feral cat problem.

Not anywhere near as fun as using a high powered rifle though.
Such as a 220 Swift?
Seriously, a well-placed bullet is a much more humane end to a feral cat or dog than starvation, freezing to death, or getting eaten while still half-alive by a coyote, bobcat, etc. Or dying a slow, painful death from a disease a lot of these feral pets have - and spread.

Back