Savage 7mm STW question

Nick0042

I recently traded for a savage model 112 7mm STW it shoots great with some hand loads i just worked up but i have some questions maybe someone on here can help me with.

first i noticed that it has a blued action with a stainless barrel with a muzzle break that you can turn on and off. the fact that the barrel and action are different colors leads me to beleive that this barrel was put on after the fact but the previous owner had no idea about it. did savage ever do anything like this or is my hunch correct about it being a aftermarket barrel? it is stamped savage model 112 7mm STW.

the only complaint i have about the gun is the trigger is pretty heavy, it does not have a accu-trigger and im wonering if anyone knows of a site that could guide me through cleaning it up or if anyone has ever replaced a trigger on this model and would recommend a good brand. this is going to be my elk and bear gun so i dont need to put a jewell in it just bring it down a pound or so. will an accu-trigger drop in fairly easy?

if anyone could help me out with the history of these guns or answer one of my questions i would appreciate the info.

generally gunsmiths wont stamp the action make in the barrel, usually it will just say what its chambered for. I would like at a timney trigger. Sounds like it has an aftermarket brake on it, is there anyways you could post some pictures.

There was a run of the 112 in the STW that was a factory rifle with blued action stainless barrel and break that could be closed for field use I owned one of these years ago and was one of the most accurate rifles I owned also plus one on the timney trigger. If you google search savage 7mm stw it will pull up a lot of images of blued stainless and also stainless on stainless great rifle!

Dogman223,

Thanks, I have been messing with Savages for a while and just learned something ......

I'll touch on the Accutrigger.

Nick0042,

You could convert to the accutrigger as used ones are pretty reasonable in the member classifieds of the Savage shooters forum however, you will need to check to see if the action has the small hole drilled for it.

A quick and dirty way to find out is to start by removing the barreled action from the stock.

If the trigger has a COIL spring for tension you might be in luck. If it uses the straight spring on the side of the trigger housing then you are likely going to have to drill or have it drilled because the coil spring for tension comes to a point and needs the pocket the hole in question provides.

But not to worry. Without the "hole" and without drilling one there are other good options but not the accutrigger.

I have acquired and installed the Savage "three screw trigger" and gotten very good results. I installed a Rifle Basix on my wife's model 111 (Sav-1 I believe it's called) but for the money the Sav-2 is a better unit. Many folks like the Timney. Savage Shooters Supply sells their "competition trigger" and it's touted as very good.

I would definitely acquire a three screw if I was contemplating having a gun smith work on the existing trigger. With that you get an adjustable sear engagement and will make MUCH better use of the Smith's services. In fact of the two I have done of that type only one would remotely use a Smith to further true it up. The other is already superb!

Best regards

Three 44s

Last edited:
thanks for the help so far, i will try to put some pictures up when i get home in a couple days so you guys can see exactly what i am dealing with. i do think that i am going to go with a different trigger (not the accutrigger) im just going to have to look around and see whats out there.

There is plenty you can do with the trigger that is in there even if it has the flat spring on the side. You can loosen it up a bit and you should be able to get it down to the 1-1/2 to 2 pound range.

i will take a look at it and see what i can figure out. i have done a little more research and i think i know how to fix the problem. i have a buddy who has done one or two of his so hopefully it works out. around 2 lbs would be perfect i think.

Back