Bobcat rug advice.

Switch

Last month my daughter shot her first bobcat. I already have a full body mount, and once I showed her photos of rugs on line, she wanted one of those.

Here's a picture
IMG_1539.jpg

I'm looking for recommendations on taxidermists and maybe some examples of their work, or photos of rugs you've had made and who made them.

Thanks.

I would be honored to do a free head mount for your daughter. I think it's just great you get her out there hunting.

I'll go ahead and get started ordering up the forms and such. They're kinda pricey...but that's okay.

Here is a photo of my last bobcat. I think the work speaks for itself.

terrib41.jpg

Here is a fox I just finished...turned out well I thought.

terrib44.jpg

Last edited:
lol! hard to find a good cat mount.....or something that looks life like.....chris from krueger creations can get it done for sure, the most expensive and no deals...but when i want something done right it goes to him.....

As a taxidermist myself, you can't go wrong with chris krueger. But as always, with any taxidermy work, do your research, and cheaper is almost 100% not better, anywhere in the nation.

Finally got a few pics taken of my rug.

photobucket-51530-1355421184254.jpg

photobucket-32371-1355425941420.jpg

Kerrug5_zps4d034763.jpg

This isn't my thread, but I would be interested in peoples opinions of the work. Only animal I have ever had preserved. I think she did a nice job, but I am no expert. Very reasonably priced compared to the other taxidermists I talked to.

Originally Posted By: MerditFinally got a few pics taken of my rug.

photobucket-32371-1355425941420.jpg

Kerrug5_zps4d034763.jpg

This isn't my thread, but I would be interested in peoples opinions of the work. Only animal I have ever had preserved. I think she did a nice job, but I am no expert. Very reasonably priced compared to the other taxidermists I talked to.

You asked

The face looks great, which is 65% of a rug. The actual rug work leaves something to be desired.
I had a black bear rug done and the rug work was similar. Really took away from the mount. I prefer the ruffled look like this. Just my opinion.
Not my mount.
Picture804.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merdit

The face and head are not right. Not ugly, just not correct. Looks like a cute stuffed animal, not a wild bobcat. The top of the head and forehead are too round, the ears are off, the eyes look like deer eyes not feline squinty predator eyes, and the cheeks on the sides of the snout are too plump like a chipmunk.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: Merdit

The face and head are not right. Not ugly, just not correct. Looks like a cute stuffed animal, not a wild bobcat. The top of the head and forehead are too round, the ears are off, the eyes look like deer eyes not feline squinty predator eyes, and the cheeks on the sides of the snout are too plump like a chipmunk.

True. But at least it doesn't look like this.

$T2eC16h,!y8E9s2fl71fBQovVGJ3ng~~60_35.JPG

I have mounted two rugs so far one bobcat one bear. First off I can tell you from my perspective there isnt much room for profit on rugs, they are time consuming, I do all my own tanning so I can return my mounts to the customer in short time instead of years or months like most taxidermists. It takes about 4-5 days for the tanning process and another day or two working the hide to soften it as its drying, I then rehydrate the head and mount it wait for it to dry another week or two depending on humidity. Then comes the hard part putting the felt on and padding, this can take a day alone. I dont make alot on rugs and usually end up breaking even. Just to let you know expect to pay a bit more for rugging than a full body mount. I can mount two or three bobcats and two deerheads in the time it takes for one rug. The going price for rugs is anywhere between 145.00 to 175.00 per linear foot. I cant find the pic of the rug mount I did but do have a pic of full body I did for a guy. [img:center]http://
alotofpics134.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Back