Good scope on a .243?

MZemanek

Hey guys I am in the process for buying a new T/C Icon .243 and was just wondering what most of you have on yours.. I will be using it 95% of the time for coyotes out to 250 yds and no closer than 75(I have the shotgun for closer range) any help/input would help.. Thanks, Marty

Welcome to the site man, I have a rem 700 243. I started with a bushnell elite 3200 3x9x40, but i was shooting a lot of paper at the time so I switched to the Nitrex tr2 3x15x42 that natchez shooting supply had on sale. They discontinued those but the weaver superslam is the same scope for the money its a great scope. My dad has a nikon 4x12x40 prostaff on his and it works good too, I think any scope in that range will get you to 250yds without a problem. It all depends on your budget. Hope this helps.

I have this on my Savage model 10 .243

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bushnell174-Elite174-4200-Riflescopes/748946.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbushnell%2Belite%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=bushnell+elite&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

You can't beat that price.

Last edited:
There are 2 line of thinking. For the ranges that you are talking about the 1-4 or 2-7 would work good for what you want to do. But then there are those like me that want a little more power. I would look at nothing less that 3x9 and lean more to the 4.5x14. That way for those longer shot out in the 200-250yd range you can zoom in. JMO Most all mine are in the 4-16 range. You may also look at a fixed 4x and spend a little more money on the glass.

I like a nice clear 4x-12x on most of my non-varmint rigs. I usually carry them on 4x and shoot both eyes open. I don't feel like I've ever missed a shot from having too much magnification at 4x or the animal was moving too fast to acquire in the scope, but there have been times that I needed that 12x to pick out small obstructions at a distance that I couldn't see otherwise. I have a couple 3x-9x scopes as well, but I feel the difference between 3x and 4x is almost negligable, where the difference between 9x and 12x is more significant. I loved the 4.5x-14x and 4x-16x scopes I've borrowed, but the good ones have been out of my price range in the past. I've become a big fan of the Nikon Buckmasters 4x-12x-50mm side focus in the last few years. Like DDW mentioned, as you drop in zoom range you can afford better quality in glass.

i have a 3x9 on my howa .243. i havent had it for very long but ive shot milk jugs out to 225 yards with it. havent tried paper to see what kinds of groups i get at that range but i thknk anything above a 12x or 14x would be about max.

I just got done setting up a new Tikka 243 superlite with a Leupold 3x9x50 VX-R with DNZ one piece mounts. This is going to be my go to coyote gun this year. I just took the gun out for the first time on Saturday and it shot great and I really like the scope so far.

I have a Leup VX3 4.5-14x40. Ive never taken it off 4.5 in the field and have killed several critters. 3-9x40 is plenty and Zeiss Conquest is $399.00 at Bass Pro and Cabelas.

2.5x10x44 Vortex
confused.gif
I like the 2.5 in the woods and 10 will still give you 500yds if you want.

Last edited:
MZemanek,

Welcome to the forum.. The .243 serves many purposes you'll love this caliber. As for scopes.. There are a lot of options depending on your budget and area for hunting.

I for one like the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 when I've been out to KC for hunting mulies and such, the rainguard on these things are awesome!

Texas- Home

I use a variety of optics. I have a Trijicon TR222G 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope

This I like because it is IMHO the perfect scope for .243, great short range with long range capability. Glass is very good and I have really enjoyed this setup on night hunts. I have no complaints.. "maybe weight" it is a bit on the hefty side.

This is my setup .243 DPMS AR acquired this one from a fellow member newmexicokid.

2011-06-29093932.jpg

I also am very fond of The Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 4C dot. This one is a great alternative if you like ill reticles. I perhaps have had this scope for about 4-5 years and still love this glass's clarity and how it performs day or night!

Setup: TC Encore Bullberry .17 Mach IV

IMAG04131.jpg

42bc3942.jpg

I would start with a Bushnell 4200 3-9 That's how I started and have never considered in selling it. I have been in horrible weather with this scope and it will not let you down. There was a discussion about this not too long ago, several members chimed in on how they have benefited on using this scope and it's reliability. Let us know what you get, enjoy your stay.. You'll love this forum.

-Juanjo

I put a used Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 on my last .243, a Remington 722, and I believe I will like it real well. I would say anything in the 3-9 to 4.5-14 would work good, I would look hard at the Redfield 4-12 if it were me.

My long range coyote rig, Rem 722, Sako extractor, 22-250 LVSF barrel 700 stock, wears an Elite 4200 2.5x10 nice rig. Most of my calling rigs have 1x4 or 1.5x6 scopes on them.

Dogsandrifles011.jpg

AWS

Back