friendly debate.....264lbc vs 243 wssm

orrbull48

all factors considered, which would you choose? this has been an on going battle for me on which to get....and no i cant get both
wink.gif
but anyways cost of reloading, bullet availability, speed, accuracy etc etc.....whats the better choice?

It's apples and oranges in my opinion. I wanted a .264 LBC because it has enough horse power for the job I want it to do. I have .223 and 6x45 for shooting light bullets fast and .264 for shooting heavier bullets. The .243 wssm will do both. I like that the .264LBC will give me about the same amount of ft/lbs out to 300 yards that a standard .243 will, even if its not as flat. But with less powder and barrel wear I think its a winner. I will still probably get a WSSM some day but, I wanted the .264 LBC first.

Sierra makes bullets from 85 grains up too 140 and above if you want a round nose. The .243 does win in having the ability to shoot a 55 grain bullet up to 4000 fps and shoots a little flatter. But I think the .264's ability to shoot 120-140 grain bullets is very cool even if it is slower...

The .264 is a good way to go but it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle and what you plan to kill with it. I made the mistake of THINKING velocity was important, and really, it's not. Energy delivery, and reduced wind drift is FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO ME as a shooter than speed, because I enjoy shooting beyond 800 meters.
If you don't want to utilize the features the 264LBC was designed to retain...then you might as well stick to the WSSM.

The 264 lbc can shoot at 123 scenar around 26-2650 fps, retain supersonic flight beyond 1000yds and still deliver nearly 500# of energy at 900 yds. However, if you're only going to shoot coyotes, the supersonic range ability, and energy delivery of the 264 isn't necessary, and the shorter lighter bullets will fly better out of the WSSM due to better ballistics at higher speeds.

The 243WSSM shooting a 105 VLD at 3000fps will deliver similar numbers (supersonic beyond 1000 and nearly 500# at 900yds)...but good luck reliably loading them in a WSSM case.
The WSSM will have a VERY hard time delivering 500# beyond 900yds and retain supersonic flight beyond 1000 with anything other than heavier VLD bullets, but again, if you want to stick below 100 grains...the 243WSSM is my suggestion. 87 VLDs, 85game kings, 87 VMax or Hollow points. Very good, flat shooting fast bullets in the WSSM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: orrbull48yup, speed is just so tempting.....anyone know what the lbc pushes a 75-80ish to???

Grendel ballistics show it pushing a 90 TNT at 2880 with a 24" barrel, so I would assume in the 3000+fps range, but the BC on that short of a 264 bullet is going to be purdy bad, you might be better off shooting pistol bullets.
crazy.gif

If your dead set on the LBC case, and still REALLY want to shoot 70-90 bullets, neck that baby down and run a silky 6mm bullet.

im not dead set on anything, just gathering up all the info i can. it wil most likey be an all-round gun. mainly hogs and yotes, maybe the occasional doe.

If I was looking at a .264lbc for the purpose you gave I would look at using a 100 grain Nosler BT. It is a hunting bullet and is light enough that you should still get fast enough MV's to make it fairly flat shooting. It carries a .350 BC and .205 SD. I wouldn't be scared to use it on a deer, I have in my 6.5x55 Sweede with excellent results. The 85 grain may give you a few more FPS but it has a .264 BC which will make it shed that speed fast.

Originally Posted By: MPFDIf I was looking at a .264lbc for the purpose you gave I would look at using a 100 grain Nosler BT. It is a hunting bullet and is light enough that you should still get fast enough MV's to make it fairly flat shooting. It carries a .350 BC and .205 SD. I wouldn't be scared to use it on a deer, I have in my 6.5x55 Sweede with excellent results. The 85 grain may give you a few more FPS but it has a .264 BC which will make it shed that speed fast.

See, those smaller 264 bullets just start to lose luster because the lower BC in relation to 6mm of the same size, means they slow down much sooner.

For the reason he mentioned, I'd suggest a 243WSSM shooting 95 SST's or even 95gr Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Tips. With a BC of .355(SST) or .379(nosler) both with a SD of .230, not to mention a MV of beyond 3000, they are both going to be flatter shooting AND hit with more energy than the for mentioned 100gr 6.5 bullet.

If you want to use larger bullets (105+), the 264 will out perform. If you want to use smaller bullets(

Last edited:
I like both rounds but the 264 gives you the choice of a lot easier to load for and not have to modify mags and uppers . Just buy them and you good To go from 85 to 130 gr . But with that said I do like the WSM and WSSM rds you just have to know they are a lot harder to load for and require work on the mags and uppers .

Originally Posted By: cbass16The 264 lbc can shoot at 123 scenar around 26-2650 fps, retain supersonic flight beyond 1000yds and still deliver nearly 500# of energy at 900 yds. However, if you're only going to shoot coyotes, the supersonic range ability, and energy delivery of the 264 isn't necessary, and the shorter lighter bullets will fly better out of the WSSM due to better ballistics at higher speeds.

The 243WSSM shooting a 105 VLD at 3000fps will deliver similar numbers (supersonic beyond 1000 and nearly 500# at 900yds)...but good luck reliably loading them in a WSSM case.
The WSSM will have a VERY hard time delivering 500# beyond 900yds and retain supersonic flight beyond 1000 with anything other than heavier VLD bullets, but again, if you want to stick below 100 grains...the 243WSSM is my suggestion. 87 VLDs, 85game kings, 87 VMax or Hollow points. Very good, flat shooting fast bullets in the WSSM
All do respect, your numbers on the WSSM are soft, and not comparing the numbers of the 105 VDL.
sneaky2.gif

It is comparing Apples and Oranges but if you are going to use the best bullet for the 264LBC like the 123 Scenar, then give the WSSM an equal bullet to compare.
shocked.gif

I agree that to compare the two you'd have to find two bullets that are similar in their respect calibers. I personally went with the Grendel bc I can find ammo cheaper here locally and like the low recoil. I don't need the speed but it does look fun.

is black hole involved with the wssm, i know as of now on the site its not offered so im wondering where he is getting his barrels?

We are working on some WSSM barrels but it will be a little while before they ready .I will be sure to keep everyone posted as to when they going to be ready but as of now the New 6 mm NFA will be the next caliber coming out.

Not trying to hyjack a tread but just looking for some clarification. If Alexander came up with the 6.5 and LB decides he likes the cartridge so changes it ever so slightly and sticks his name on it. I can't recall anyone ever calling this to attention. I know they make quality stuff but if I was AA I'd be a bit perturbed since since so many folks recognize it as the .264lbc? Please enlighten, tks.

Bill is the biggest reason the 6.5 never made it as big as it could have been due to his own greed (copyright). And LB was in on the design for the 6.5 and got tired of having to pay AA for the copyright and that is how the 264LBC came to be! So if AA wants to be pissed well sorry but that's what happens when you have a lot of greed and what all the money for yourself!

You would be amazed at the people who don't know what the 264LBC is until you tell them 6.5 Grendel.
Tons of info out there if you look for it!

Back