Primos Predator Calls

Curt Barrett

Just had the 2001 Primos call catalog arrive.Any of you guys try the Mini Howler or the Regulator open reed calls?

Thanks in advance, Curt

Hey Curt,

Glad to see ya here.

I have a couple primos calls, one is the mini howler (I personally don't like that call) It might be just because I'm dumb but I can not get it to sound right.

I also have another howler by them, it works wonderful, the only problem with it is it's size, it's about 2 and a half feet long, and the bell is about 6 inches in dia. but it sounds wonderful.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Hi Ryan! Thanks for the info. The regulator calls look interesting to me. Pretty compact. I might give one a try.

BTW,here is a pic of the catalog page if anyone cares. Ha Ha
View

------------------
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level."

to Curt--I have extensive experience with the Primos Regulator 14, 10, and both howlers.The 14 is the longer range call and should be used most of the time
The Mini Mag Howler and the Power Howler have the same mouth pieces--should play basically the same. You can cut the power howler sound chamber off 3.5 in. from where the enlargement grove starts and still retain the mature dog voice--George Brint

------------------

Thanks for that info yoteman.

I am running out to get the chainsaw right now.
biggrin.gif

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

I have a Regulator, I do not believe that it was identified as a 10 or 14 when I bought it. Is that a fairly recent thing?

I have the big howler - I think I'll follow the chop off suggestion. Easy to blow, it does sound kind of flat to my human ear.

They also make a closed read call that I've called in a few things with. It seems that it was called a "6 in 1" or something like that.
A nice coarse sound. The worst thing about it is that it seems to appeal to raccoons. No idea why.
It also has the little squeaker port that can be used to make a good sounding puppy whine by capping off one end of the call with a finger and then inhaling. You can produce a pretty active set of whines like this without running out of air.
This port also "squeaks" when you blow it as a regular rabbit call. It can be covered with an ungloved finger, gloves don't seal it well enough. Not sure if it hurts anything, just sounds weird if you do not cap it.

To Joe F.--Primos just started using a 2 reed system in 99; The Black regulators come with the 14m reed and the green regulators come with 10 m reeds--same call they have allways made--check your color and you can tell which reed your call has. The new calls now come in a Regulator Tandem pak containing both the 10 & 14 along with an excellent instruction tape with practice pauses to enhance learning to use the open reed calls.

------------------

Thanks for the info. So, do you guys like the regulator calls? How do they compare to say..a Tally-Ho or Critr-Call in your opinion?

Curt--the Regulator 10/14 are first cousins to the Crit-r-call standard 10/14--both brands have almost identical tongue design and produce basically the same tone and sound range. The Tally Ho tongue does not taper to O and thus, will not produce the high pitch sounds achievable on the Primos and the Crit-r-call which set them apart from the rest of the open reeds on the market.
George Brint

Just got my Regulators 10/14. George, you hit the nail on the head with your accurate description. They both remind me a lot of the Critr-Call. I like em'!

Later, Curt

Back