Trippin the trigger

Trapper

Just a few thoughts on hand calls and what makes a coyote respond to the call.Bill Austin whom is known for his howling expertise used to run the country side glassing for coyotes. He would then procede to call them. One thing he noticed was that for some coyotes it took alot of different types of calls to get them interested.
Sometimes a bird distress did the trick and other times it would be a simple jackrabbit call. The point is that not all calls will work all the time, but keep throwing something diferent at them and that certain sound just might trip their trigger.

Trapper,
Good point you brought out in that post. Sort of makes a fellow want to go out and purchase a good pair of binoculars don't it?

Cal Taylor,
Now ya went and made me jealous.
smile.gif

Rich,
Don't be jealous. After all you have more Cronk calls than I do. BTW, I'm sure happy with the calls I got from you. I haven't been calling much because of the time of year and the damn wind, but I did go out and get some coyotes to answer my Cronk howler. Also, as I'm sure you know, that killer call is a pretty darn good howler too !!!!

Hey Rich I have been working on the killer bird call and I about got it. Its a bugger to learn. Takes alot of wind. Ought to be a a real killer on them coyotes.
Trapper

Trapper, you are right. I have done a lot of spot and call and noticed the same thing. When they hear the call sometimes they start running to you. Others walk, and others run the OTHER way. Have sat there and watched them ignore one sound and when the sound changed, they got interested and headed to the caller.

Well guys, I bought a pair of 7 x 50 Minolta's that sure appear to be up to the task. Easy on the eyes and give crisp and clear image. We will see how they do out in the field.

Back