predator habits

fastmax

im from indiana, ive never seen a bobcat in the wild. theyre's no defined "season" but someone hit one with a car not too far from my home. i heard the dnr realesed coyotes about 30 years ago. (Dont know if true) now theyre's a ton of coyotes and hardly any phesant and grouse. is it because bobcats dont like indiana weather. if anyone has info on a predator relesing program in indiana or bobcat habits, please share it with me.

Bobcats are extremely sneaky critters, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. I have called up several & killed 5 this past year but I have only seen 1 in my life when I wasn't calling.

I can't help with the realeasing of coyotes but I doubt that it was done. Coyotes have done a good job of migrating into new areas without having to be released.

Grandpa always talks about coyotes being released in Indiana by the DNR. He growls about it everytime you bring up yotes. Says it ruined his Rabbit hunting!

Quote:
Grandpa always talks about coyotes being released in Indiana by the DNR. He growls about it everytime you bring up yotes. Says it ruined his Rabbit hunting!

Tell Grandpa, what ruined rabbit hunting was the same thing that ruined rabbit hunting all over the country, Farmers getting rid of Hedgerows to seperate fields and property lines.

My in-laws are farmers, as a matter of fact my father in-law just said to me the other day that they released coyotes in NJ.. LOL!!!

Quote:

If there any fox pens around then you have found where the 'yotes very well could have come from. I doubt the DNR would release them.

I don't know what goes on in Indiana but Fish & Game hear in PA has never released coyotes , bigfeets, or mt lion ,, but many here also Bellevue this to be true.

I am almost shore that they where not introduced there ether,
bobcat are there i am shore, how many i dont know but i am shore there is a couple waiting for yea,,, but like the other guy said they are quite weary critters,, mostly active at night.. if your looking for them try and cut a track and to find tracks look around thickets that lead into open fields or walk along shore line of any creek you find,creek bead can tell many stories of what critters are larking after dark ,, cats are a inquisitive critter so get out and call them you may be surprised .
I like to call on the down wind side of to different trains with one of them being think cover and me sitting just out side of it abot 40 yards or what ever distince i can get a clean shot. I FEEL cats are much like predatory fish,, they will Cruz the edge of thick structure hunting or marking there area... and like small fish I FEEL lots of little tasty bite size meals will stay close to thick cover ,,I am also a firm believer that rodent size pray are what makes up the majoritie of the bobcat meals
here in PA , I am taken a educated guess that it may be the same there...
when calling bobcat keep a keen eye out , I don't know how many times I found myself being watched for who knows how long by a sitting cat out 25 yard

woodpecker and bird distress are my best sound i feel for harvesting cats

if you get after them good luck and be safe
George /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Tell Grandpa, what ruined rabbit hunting was the same thing that ruined rabbit hunting all over the country, Farmers getting rid of Hedgerows to seperate fields and property lines.

Coyotes hawks & feral cats haven't helped the situation but you are very correct, when the small family farms started to dissapear - so did the rabbits & quail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quail, many rabbits, and a ton of coyotes are existent on my property. After further investigation, I found on the Indiana dnr website there is a status and distribution chart from 1970-1999 there was only 38 confirmed and dozens of unconfirmed spottings of bobcats. None of which were in my county. In Ohio and Illinois the bobcat is also considered a rare species. Bobcats are more common in Michigan and Kentucky. Thank you, though for your postings.

Quote:

My grandpa says the same, thats what brought up the topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
where are you from?

Back