Favorite hand call

Hey forum moderators--Azwill has been really quiet since I suggested he provide each of us with one of the new Phantom digital callers to test in the field in diverse areas. He did provide a glowing report on a field test, but that is only a sample of one.

Maybe he is down at the UPS office shipping each of us one right now, just because we are all good guys and we work hard. Or maybe if we volunteered for a pay cut, and a cost-of-living freeze he would send us each one.

What do you think?

Sorry guys I've been in Kansas. Did'nt realize that I had'nt listed my e-mail, so here ya go.

FREDCR1@msn.com

Arizona Predator Calls
1634 W. Charleston Ave.
Phoenix, Az. 85023

"GOOD CALLING"

Steve Allen,
I think you are correct. In order to get an accurate appraisal of effectiveness in the field, this new calling machine needs to be honestly tested by all moderators of Predator Masters. Azwill being the nice guy that he obviously is, I'm sure he is in process of sending us one and just charging it on his credit card. We all know that he can afford it, so what the heck?
smile.gif

Rich Time flys. That is my get down and serios when the coyotes absolutely have to be killed call. I don't know how many coyotes I have done it with that little bugger, but its alot.

Well, I am finally getting around to some of the other forums. Sorry for my tardiness Rich. My favorite distress type call is the AP6 and I am really starting to like the AP7 and I will tell you guys why.

I have tried Tally Hos and Critter Calls mainly. Tally Hos make an excellent sound but tend to lock up in cold weather more than the AP6. The reed is too close to the call on the Tally Ho. They also do not have a lot of volume in the wind.

The Critter call doesn't tend to freeze up as bad but the reed tends to move sideways on you after considerable use. I also do not think the sound is as authentic as I would like. Maybe it's the way I blow it.

The AP6 has a reed that is easily replaced and cannot move sideways. It is also made of Hard rubber that will take the abuse of lots of use. I have broken a few Crit'r calls over the years.

If you listen to a authentic cottontail rabbit tape or a jack rabbit tape, most guys don't sound like the real thing. Take an AP7 and listen to the high end of it and I have never heard a more authentic cottontail sound with both high pitched squeals and raspy crys. I can also make both jackrabbit and cottontail sounds on an AP6.

For howling I prefer Bill Austin's calls and ampliphy them with a horn or plastic bell. The important thing with these calls is that the reeds need to be fitted properly or they can be very difficult to blow. You should be able to see a sliver of PVC white all the way around the edge of the reed. My preference for reed material is Bodickers brown paper cloth (don't know what he calls it). That seems to have the best tone and pitch. That's my 3 cents. Wiley E

I got say that i agree with Wiley for distress i like the AP-6 i keep two of them around my neck at all times. I like the tally-ho also i like it for close range challenge howling even, I have a POWER BUGLE from E.L.K that i take off the tube and use as my primary howler it works great. Its the one they use on doggin coyotes and busting coyotes also.
I'm no call maker or ADC man but i put a lot of time and research into predator calling and that is just what seems to work for me

Wiley E.,
You have picked some pretty decent calls for your favorites, but I am thinking about making you something even more better.
smile.gif

My favorite call is a Knight&Hale 2-in-1 squeaker.Its easy to use,never sticks,and works pretty well.Another good one I have is a burnham bros.mini blaster.It sounds great but it dosent seem to have the results of the squeaker.

I have some Burnham Bros calls that my dad bought back in the mid 50's, the only one that still works is the little coaxer. I also use the calls from Critter Call. They work very well and for any beginners out there the have a very good instructiional tape. Their website is
http://www.critrcall.com/

Pecos

Back