Recommendations Needed: Encore vs Pro Hunter

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
I'm going to be busy this weekend with a yard sale, so I won't be able to respond too often, but I've got a guy threatening to pay me a bunch of money for some guns I don't use!!! So, naturally, I'm going to take this windfall and buy more guns!

I need some recommendations from guys who've handled the firearms in question. I'm going to make two of these posts.

This one is concerning interchanging barreled single shot rifles...

I'm dumping my Contender! (Gasp!) It's just too hard to break open. I love the interchanging barrels but want more options in bigger calibers. I also want my sons to use it later on, and they just wouldn't be able to open the Contender. My 14yo nephew is a brute of a kid and he had trouble with it.

So, I'm probably going Encore. But I wondered what's the difference between the Encore and the Pro Hunter Encore? Do their barrels interchange? Is the Pro Hunter that much better?

And does anybody here have that new Knight KP1? Is it any good?

Somebody shed some light here!

the Prohunter addresses the changes to the Encores we had to do. Encore needs a hammer spur, so the Prohunter got a swing hammer, we added Limbsavers to our Encores, Prohunters come with a Limbsaver from the factory. The Encore don't have any additional engraving, like prohunter, on the frame. Other than those few changes they are the same thing with the same barrels for both.

t/c223encore.

Here is something that came to mind concerning the contender....my brother at one time had the same problem and attached a small section of rubber tubbing to the release spur and it helped.

Thanks guys, I'm getting the information I needed. I appreciate it.

The guy came through, so now I don't have to worry about making the contender easier to open! (I do however have to sell a 7-30 Waters Carbine Bull Barrel!)

The Thompson Center factory does the low-cost easy-open conversion for those early model Contenders (serial number less than 195,000. Recommend that you do that.

I always wanted a contender carbine in 7/30 waters, how much do want for the barrel? I think the pro-hunter comes with an accuracy guarantee.

The pro hunter barrels are two inches longer and fluted, other wise they are the same as the Encore and interchange with no problem

Matt, I paid $220 from Midway for the barrel a little over 2 years ago I think. Set it up and worked up a load for Cougar... and shot 3 bobcats with it! (No lions.) It's got a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 on it. (Same age.)

Without the scope I'd take $190 for it. + ship
With the scope (sighted in, ready to rock) I'd take $300. + ship

I have a blued Encore with the walnut stock and forend in 270 win. I had a problem right away with opening the action after shooting a round. I sent it in and got it back pretty fast. Since then its worked great, TC customer service is great. They are also really easy to take apart, for a really detailed cleaning.

I have a buddy with a regular Encore and always thought it was a good system in concept, but just felt it wasn't a real gun (bolt gun). Eventually I broke down and bought the Pro Hunter (the regular Encore wasn't the "New Thing", even though my buddy told me they were the same).
So I spent and extra C-note or so, for the Pro Hunter. Well guess what, they are the same gun. The "swing hammer" on the Pro Hunter I've been told is a minor improvement over the traditional hammer. I actually don't know, because the first time I tried to loosen the hammer screw, it stripped so bad it would take some Dremel work to get it loose. So I put the hammer spur/extension on it (which TC should do in the first place and just add a stronger hammer spur.)

Besides that though the only complaint I have about the gun is that I needed help to pull the trigger back, one man can't squeeze that beast. I ordered a $7 trigger spring from Mike Bellm TCs and the trigger is now awesome.

My one attempt at customer support from TC was the worst I've experienced. I tried to send them emails but couldn't find an email address for CS. When I called them they transfered me so quick, and often, I finally ended up with an answering machine telling me to leave my name, number, and the problem and they would get back to me. I did, and its been 8 months now with no phone call (I'm guessing they are not going to call, LOL).

However,

I do like the system overall. It's truly a gun for every season and when set up right it can be a killing machine. I've never been quick enough with any rifle to get more than one bullet down the barrel at a time so I see no real disadvantage to the single shot.

Just my $.02

mahamari

Last edited:
Quote:
The pro hunter barrels are two inches longer and fluted, other wise they are the same as the Encore and interchange with no problem

They interchange no problem, but you need the encore heavy barreled fore-stock to fit pro-hunter barrels or you will get barrel pinch. Had an encore in the sporter weight 243 and bought a 7mm heavy barrel for the prohunter. Didn't shoot as well as I liked. Bought an encore heavy barrel fore-stock and then the groups closed in.

I have a standard Encore with a .50 cal ML barrel. I'd definately go with stainless, especially for a ML. I added a hammer spur extension (pretty much mandatory with a scope) and later added a Sims recoil pad (noticable difference). I love the gun, especially the ease of cleaning for a ML, and dont see the need to go to the pro hunter.

I have 2 Encores and 3 pro hunters. I prefer the pro hunter
primarily due to the swing hammer and stocks.

I recieved a Savage 250-3000 barrel from the T/C custom shop several weeks ago and that barrel is shooting under 3/4 for 5 shots.

If a ML is in your sights I definately would buy the new "Revolution" because of the newer breech plug.

I find the 28" pro hunter barrels far better balanced than the Encore 26" length and they shoot very well.

Hoggy

We have approx. 50 assorted contender and encore barrels with transducers attached. Our two frames are seeing 50-75 rounds per week...over the last several years; with no problems. We do not accuracy test in these, only pressure test. Occasionally, with non canister powders, we have had some loads jump past 75,000PSI and we have not been able to measure any problems with the frames or test barrels.
John

Back