ar15 16 inch barrel accuracy?

Quote:
"what should you expect to get at 100 yards with 9 power scope at 100 yards,2 inches or better?"

Sub moa. I'd expect it and if I wasn't getting it I'd be changing things till I was.

Quote:
dpms recommends cleaning bore after every shot 25 times,how many of you do it?

Closer to every 25 months for me. lol! Seriously though, I give it a good cleaning annually and anytime I get it soaked in the rain.

Good hunting

I just started shooting a 16" Bushmaster ORC Carbine this spring. This is a 1 in 9" twist chome lined bore. I have a 1.5x4.5x32mm Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly Reticle Rifle Scope on this Bushmaster. I am loading 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with H-4895 in Military LC Brass with Remington 7 1/2 Primers. Average Muzzle Velocity is 2948 FPS, and my 100 yard 3 shot groups from the bench have been consistantly between 1/2" to 3/4". A buddy of mine told me that with a standard handguard (not a free float tube) to put my front rest or shooting sticks so they sit on the delta ring so that is how I have been shooting it. No complaints so far at all.

Larry

I got tired of wearing my barrels out from over cleaning, a very hard habit to break, so now i just run a patch of kroil down them evry 100-200 rds, but clean the rest of the rifle often. blue

i think im gonna like this little dpms,when i got it i cleaned the bore,then shot 3 times to get it close to target,cleaned bore some,shot 1 time,put up for evening,shot 2 more times moved scope closer to target,shot 3 more times this time for a group that was just a little over 1 1/2. ammo was remington umc 45hp. shot about 80 yards or so.

the manual says after cleaning bore to put a light coat of oil in the chamber and bore,i thought that was bad,ive never done that. unless you store it for a long time i can see why?

I don't personally do that.
I figure the residual oil from cleaning after getting a clean patch is enough.

Also, oil in the bore can cause the first couple of shots to have a different point of impact.

I really prefer to shoot a pretty dry, but clean rifle. In very dusty terrain, (which I live in), dust can gather on oil left on the gun.

Not all barrels are created equal. If you are interested in spraying bullets in hitting a human, then accuracy requirements are not all that serious.

On the other hand, when you want to shoot sub inch groups, you have a whole different criteria.

I had 5 Colts, and one custom with a Hart barrel on it. Accuracy is everything, one shot, one kill.

While many guys give their opinion, not many say how many rounds they are shooting before they clean. One guy says that he cleans once a year. That could mean less than 20 rounds shooting yotes.

Some barrels are rough, some barrels are smooth. Some barrels copper foul, and some do not.

Some guys don't know their A$$ from third base other than how to pull the trigger and shoot minute of pie plate. Rapid fire in an AR means loads of copper in your barrel, you play, you pay.

I hope that Dan will chime in on this discussion.

Accuracy seems to improve, especially on the M-4 type barrels with a couple hundred down the tube.

Having 3 AR's, 2 of them being 16" M4's and one, a custom 24" Target, I have to say I've learned to keep the working parts clean & dust free....As far as an extensive barrel cleaning, I use the rifles for hunting, therefore .10 of an inch isn't going to hairlip the pope....so, I clean them very well when sccuracy starts to fade.

Copper fouling has not been an issue with my barrels...I think that has to do with the bullet you run down a particular barrel as well.

Good point ackleyman. Big difference between a hunter and someone going and shooting matches. I switch between 3 ARs for hunting mostly. Then there is the 22-250 and shotgun that goes hunting too. lol! Between some coyotes and groundhogs, the one AR I use the most probably doesn't see more than 50-75 rounds through a season so none of them are getting overworked. I use an AR just like a bolt rifle with the intention of one shot hopefully doing the job. If not, the follow up shot is ready to go. No rapid fire or spraying. Two of these ARs have Bushmaster chrome lined barrels and probably are not as smooth as alot of barrels being used. I find after a good cleaning it shoots best after I get 10-15 shots down the barrel while verifying zero again. Probably smoothes the bore out a bit. Dan can probably shed some light on this like you said.

Good hunting

josebd

Follow DPMS barrel break-in suggestions. Chrome lined may not matter as much.

A rough AR trigger will make it hard to shoot to its potential, so use a steady rest.

3 shot groups with different ammo. Mine will put UMC 50gr JHP in a nickle but the UMC 45gr JHP over 1". Most 1 in 9" barrels like 50-55 gr.rounds.

I have to touch on what copper brought up, i always say that my rifles do sub-dime groups and they do, or they get traded, ... it's not that i'm the greatest shot, cause i'm not.
I simply practice at least twice a week, or more. To some a sub-dime group sounds really good, to those who compete, if they shot groups that size they would pack up and go home.

The other thing is that i never break in a new ar upper without using one of my lowers with a very smooth 3-4lb trigger, the purpose of going there is to see how good the upper is, you can't do that if your fighting a long, rough, 8lb trigger. And since iv'e had people ask, yes those groups are with federal value pack 50gr, yes my rifles will shoot better wirh 62gr, but if on the spur of the moment if i want to go to some other state to shoot, i know that i can go to the nearest wally and it will be there, and will produce the same groups. blue

i noticed after chambering some rounds,i ejected some and saw some marks on the bullet?is this normal?i can feel them with my finger nail.

Back