ar15 16 inch barrel accuracy?

I have a couple and I would be disappointed if I only got 2 inch groups at 100 with them. With the right loads my A2(carry handle) will do about an inch. The Armalite stainless flattop will do significantly better and I haven't done much for load development with it with.

300 yard prairie dog pups this past weekend were no problem at all.

just shot a 5 shot 1 inch group the day before yesterday with mine on 4 power, off of a sandbag. 55 grain v-max, 16 inch bull barrel.

i dont have the bull barrel,will it heat up quick? when reloading do you use a fast burning powder like blc2?mine is 1x9 twist,whats the heaviest bullet for that twist?

It may heat up & string shots quicker than a bull barrel, but should give you a few shot before that becomes a factor.

Both of our AR's w/ 16" do an inch or better at 100...

With a 9 twister, you should be able to go to 60+ grainers...Perhaps even 69 gr.

The first loads for a new 16" 1-9 I bought were with v-maxs and BL-C2. I couldn't get under 2 1/2" - 3" groups no matter the charge or COAL. I decided give Benchmark a try before I sold the dammned thing and now it shoots 10 shot groups into about 3/4"- 1" every time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif 50 and 60 vmaxes work just finefor the twist . You might get BL-C2 to work for you but I couldn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy. It only affects velocity and thus the trajectory. In a good AR, you should be able to get less than 1" groups out of it. Being a light weight barrel, three or four shot groups is the most you can hope for before it starts stringing. Varget and Benchmark are the best two powders that I've used in ARs. Only found one bullet that liked BLC2 and it isn't made anymore.
Goodluck.

Recently added a 16" lightweight 1x9 DTI barrel to collection and it shoots the same load (27.4 gr H-380 under 52 hpbt Sierra match)my heavy barrel DPMS 1x9 shoots in three shot groups well under 1".. Less than 3/4 most of the time.. Sure is lighter to carry!!!

Later
DF2

Dpms 16" lo-pro bull, 1/9, 3-9x50, sandbags subdime groups
Model1sales 16" shaw ss fluted bull,1/9 4-12x40 sandbags,subdime groups right out of the box.
Dpms lite 16" a2, 1" groups.
Model1sales 16" lite flattop 3-9x50,sandbags, nickel groups,(this one will do better).
All of these on wally world federal value pack 50gr jhp,at 100yds, and that magic word ... practice. Repeat as needed. blue

Last edited:
To break in my DPMS 16' I did my old bolt action bit. shoot 5 clean 4xs, shoot 10 clean 4xs, shoot 15 also 4xs. Weather or not it make a difference who knows, that is a long debated topic "barrel break-in" it does make me feel better and I do it a little different each time.

Back