Question about Islam vs. Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwp

Ok, personally i think both religions have both positive and negative things to offer their followers.

Here lately i have heard a lot of claims that, all muslims (atleast if they are true muslims) want all non-believers dead, or every "infidel" should die.

Now i could be mistaken, but i believe the same message can be found in the Old Testament, correct?

In Deueteronomy 13:6-11 and in Leviticus 24:13-16.

So face it, both religions call for non-believers to be killed for that very reason...not believing in THEIR God.

Y'all wanted a religious thread, now you have.

Sorry JWP....That sounds a little like "Baiting"

If you define Christianity,,, You don't use the Old Testament... Christ and Christianity didn't come along until the New Testament....

I may be mistaken, since I'm not a biblical scholar, but the Jewish Torah and the Old Testament run pretty close in application and the New Testament is what defines Christians..

troll.jpg

Quote:
Sorry JWP....That sounds a little like "Baiting"

If you define Christianity,,, You don't use the Old Testament... Christ and Christianity didn't come along until the New Testament....

I may be mistaken, since I'm not a biblical scholar, but the Jewish Torah and the Old Testament run pretty close in application and the New Testament is what defines Christians..

So the old testament is not taught or followed in christianity? Not the same God?, the God of Moses is not the God of Peter or Paul...its a different God? Ten Commandments dont mean anything to christians?

Because the New Testament bible i have also includes the OT...
Just trying to make sure i understand...

We live by the NEW TESTAMENT, not the old . The old is HISTORY and the NEW is what we live by! The story of JESUS dying on the cross for our SINS is in the new testament and not the old. Islam and christianity are nowhere alike . Islam is the only religion that involves murder. They think when they become a marter they go to heaven and recieve all these VIRGINS. The only murder in christianity was when they hung JESUS on the CROSS and DIED for our SINS we do not tell people to go and kill other people !

Quote:
Islam is the only religion that involves murder.

So God commanding his people to kill (in the old testament) isnt murder?

The OT of the Bible was the Mosaic law, which was essentially an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. This was the 10 commandments as the rule of law. if a woman slept with someone other than her husband she was to be stoned. Much of the OT was done in similitude of the future sacrifice the Savior of the World was to make. Sacrificial offerings by the Israelites and such.

The NT of the Bible completed the OT's Mosaic law with what we call the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The 10 commandments were summed up my Jesus Christ in 2- Love your God and Love your neighbor. Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross for all of humanity susperceeded the lamb, goat, and bull scarifies we read about in the Old Testament. Jesus Christ completed the Law. Where they used to stone an adulterer, then now forgave her and asked she do it no more.

Your Bible has both the OT and the NT as reference and a background. most Christian Churches in this day and age work off the NT portion only in substantiating their teachings.

LBLDOG - the NT does have instance of violence that appear to be justified. Jesus whipped the merchants who were selling their wares on the temple steps. When Judas brought the Roman soldiers to the garden of Getsemenie (SP?) to take Jesus away, one of the Apostles took out his sword and hacked off an eye of a soldier.

I bet if you looked into the religion of Islam in the way we've dissected the OT and NT you'll find no overt mention of violence. Within the context of their culture and such it will parellel Christianisty.

Now these 2 faiths are very much separate in their teachings. One centering it's faith in Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice for humanity. Islam centering theirs on Allah and the Prophet Mohamed.

Quote:
The NT of the Bible completed the OT's Mosaic law with what we call the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The 10 commandments were summed up my Jesus Christ in 2- Love your God and Love your neighbor. Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross for all of humanity susperceeded the lamb, goat, and bull scarifies we read about in the Old Testament. Jesus Christ completed the Law. Where they used to stone an adulterer, then now forgave her and asked she do it no more.

This is true. I believe that the old testement is relevant today when taken in context of the complete scripture, and does not contradict the new testement.

Quote:
When Judas brought the Roman soldiers to the garden of Getsemenie (SP?) to take Jesus away, one of the Apostles took out his sword and hacked off an eye of a soldier.

Actually, it was an ear, which Jesus subsequently reattached and healed.

The Iraelites (Jews) are the decendants of Issac (his son Jacob's name was later changed to Israel by God, and his twelve sons became the twelve tribes of Israel) and the Arabs are the decendants of Ismael (Issac's half brother with the handmaid Hagar).

That is the beginning of the conflict.

jwp- I find it interesting that someone who is so hostile toward Christainity is attending a Christian University. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Hardin Simmon University -Founded in 1891 by a dedicated group of ministers, ranchers and merchants, Hardin-Simmons University established dual goals of developing the mind and nurturing the spiritual life of its students. That commitment to encourage growth in faith and knowledge has remained central. Believing academic excellence and Christian faith to be complementary, the University emphasizes the need for interaction between faith and reason.

Quote:
Quote:
Islam is the only religion that involves murder.

So God commanding his people to kill (in the old testament) isnt murder?

Are you that dense or are you just a keyboard commando who loves to hide behind a screen ? What are you just a head in a jar who spouts random just to hear random shiat ? What are ya ? 500 lbs. of human that does nothing all day but drool and type just to get a reaction ? Got an address ?

Jeezes... freakin' idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a question. In the OT God commands the Israelites to kill and destroy. It also states that any who would not seek the Lord, God of Israel, was to be put to death.

Yellowhammer i am not hostile towards the Christian religion at all. I just get a little annoyed when people make claims that arent true. Like "Islam is the only religion that involves murder" or someone claims that murder doesnt take place or isnt even in the bible. When clearly it states numerous times in the OT, if you are not a believer in the God of Israel you should die. (see before mentioned passages)

Also, i didnt go to HSU because in was a christian university. I went there to play football, and go to school.

Quote:
Like "Islam is the only religion that involves murder" or someone claims that murder doesnt take place or isnt even in the bible

I don't know who claimed that, but they clearly don't know their Bible (Bible is always capitalized). Off the top of my head I think of dozens of people by name who were murdered (the first was Cain).

God calling for the destruction of people who were ungodly in the OT wasn't murder, it was judgment. God can do that, He is God. He has and will make more judgements as it says "All will be judged".

there is lots of storys yes , cain , judas getting his ear chopped off, people turning to a pillar of salt, of course there was god even punished the isralites when they didnt listen!

FWIW, I don't see much in the way of chistians killing people for not believing as they do these days.

I also don't see a lot of that among muslims in general. the hard core fundamentalists, those we're at war with, certainly use their faith as justification for it, even killing other muslims -which is forbidden- which they justify by rationalizing that these people are not "proper" muslems, so they don't count & may be killed.

As I understand the koran it provides 3 treatments for non-muslims:

1) They may be killed
2) They may be enslaved
3) They may be permitted to live in society but must pay a tax to do so.

As a practical matter, most muslims are not killing or enslaving others. I don't know for certain, but think that most nations are not imposing such a tax, but I'm sure that some do. Iran is extremely likely to do so. In the sudan, christians are sold into slavery to muslims, so such things are indeed happening right now, 2008.

I am unaware of any christians who are doing the opposite at this time, or any time in the last 100+ years. Might be happening somewhere, but I haven't heard of it.

I dont know why I said an eye chopped off. I knew it was an ear. How it the world could someone chop off an eye anyhow?

My mistake.

Quote:
JWP why do you ask a question you seem to know the answer to?

Modern Christianity is far removed from what it was in the days of the Old Testament, and has evolved to better fit the norms of the age we live in, Islam or the Muslim faith has done the same for the most part and until the last couple of decades has made great strides in everything from women's issues to it's overall look at human rights in general, and in places like Turkey, Kuwait, and some of the Asian countries the people still like to keep their faith secular and everyday life governed by different rules. The Radical Islamists on the other hand want the old school of Islam to be the defining force in everyday life and will settle for nothing less. Even if it means killing off a brother or sister who refrains in going along with the hard line. They would like nothing better than to back the clock up 800 years or more, when the Muslim faith was the dominate power to contend with, not only in the middle east, but in large parts of eastern Europe as well.
The fight we find ourselves engaged in today is century's old, the players are different, the stakes are higher, and the rules have changed somewhat to our disadvantage, mostly because of our need to show compassion, a defining Christian value by the way, something seemingly lacking in our opponent. That and the fact the modern media will crucify our soldiers for the collateral damage caused in a firefight, and turn around and try and justify or excuse a radical Islamic suicide bomber who just took thirty fellow, faithful, followers of Islam, to heaven, for no other reason than to make themselves a martyr. It's not the Muslim faith, it's the PEOPLE that would pervert the teachings that make a religion bad. I also feel you know all this and may have just been trying to stir the pot a little.

Youth is no excuse for ignorance.
If a person hasn't been exposed to spiritual guidance we should hope they would recognize their void. Even having been indoctrinated in a particular view, when that person goes out into the world on their own, they will encounter differing views. It is between that person and their God how they sort it out.
All the answers are available, and most are based on common sense, responsibility and fairness.
Many young people think that they do not have to have a spiritual live until later in life.
I have known three young men that did not reach the age to go to college. Be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back