Coyotes and dogs in heat

Kimbershooter

Does anyone here know if coyotes are attracted to a female dog in heat ? I assume they are as last night around 3:30 am my female lab was raising cain. She is in the dog kennel and is in heat. I got up and looked out of the window and see a canine run across the back of my yard at the edge of the field. It stopped about 60 yds. out and I got my red light out and put it on it. Low and behold it was a yote. It trotted out to the rear of the field and was joined by another. I switched over to white light as they were now about 125 yds out. Both looked at the light for a minute and then slipped into the woods. There was not enough time to get the suppressed .223 out of the safe but tonight it will be easily accessible. I live in the country and my range is set up where I can shoot from my second story gun room / office window. It may just work out.

A few of my farmer friends have seen their male dog play with coyotes. Same dog's have also fought them near or in the farm yard.

If thats a territorial pr eyeing your dog. I suspect they would put the munch on your female dog if she were loose. Regardless, whether she's in heat or not.

Last edited:
Most ANY wild mammal will be atracted to the scent of another mammal menstrating. I struck up a conversation with a park official when we were in Yellowstone a couple of years back. There had been a grizzly seen in the area daily for the past few days. He had posted signs as they normally do in such an instance warning people of the frequent sightings. He said that the very WORST thing a female hiker could do was to go in the woods during her menstrual cycle. When I asked my wife (since she's a vet)about his statement, she whole-heartedly agreed. Mammals depend on their sense of smell to do most everything....eat, detect enemies, and BREED. Now, whether these coyotes you saw were interested in breeding, or EATING, is open to conjecture.

Quote:
Most ANY wild mammal will be atracted to the scent of another mammal menstrating.

If anybody wants to prove it, hang a used tampon in front of a trail-cam. I know a guy that uses them during deer season as an attractant. He kills some big bucks.

Quote:
Quote:
Most ANY wild mammal will be atracted to the scent of another mammal menstrating.

If anybody wants to prove it, hang a used tampon in front of a trail-cam.......

Hey Weas.....If it's all the same to you....I'll just take Sallye's word for it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's nasty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Whatever it takes to get a big buck, huh?

I'd hate to get caught sneaking out of the house with one.

Quote:
I'd hate to get caught sneaking out of the house with one.

This thread is going downhill in a HURRY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The guy that does it is older and his wife has gone through menopause. He gets them from a gal that does housekeeping at a local motel. No way would I ever even ride in the same vehicle with those things let alone carry a plastic bag of them into the woods. He acts like its no big deal.

And just exactly what is this guy going to do when he has a wreck and the LEOs find that "bag" in his truck? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Like I said....WAY downhill in a hurry. I'm out of here......................................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Male coyotes are not capable of breeding this time of year. They are producing no sperm and their testicles are up. A coyote might be following a female house dog in heat, but it aint for sex.

Randy

Quote:
Male coyotes are not capable of breeding this time of year. They are producing no sperm and their testicles are up. A coyote might be following a female house dog in heat, but it aint for sex.

Randy

Good info Randy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif And very correct...mostly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

While your information is dead on in the wild, it could possibly be altered in an environment where another canine is introduced that is in estrus. This could (although never proven as far as I know) cause the male coyote to have a hormonal change directly related to the female's condition. In other words...it is entirely possible (and probable) that the male coyote's lack of a testicle drop and production of seminal fluids are directly related to the female coyote's estrus cycles. The introduction of another female canine that is in estrus would most likely initiate a response from the male's reproductive hormones and allow him to breed. That said, I highly doubt that a male coyote who runs across a scent trail left by a domestic female would change immediately to breeding form. He would, however, be very attracted to the scent and if exposed to it over the time of a few days could react by breeding the female.

I think YellowHammer might also come through with an opinion, but the small numbers of "Coy-Dogs" that might exist would most likely be the result of a male domestic dog mating with a female coyote, rather than the other way around.

Thanks again for bringing this info out. Great stuff to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back in the late 60's I heard about this girl that hung hers near her stand and killed a huge 10 pt. and she told that she always hunted that way!

Quote:
Most ANY wild mammal will be atracted to the scent of another mammal menstrating. I struck up a conversation with a park official when we were in Yellowstone a couple of years back. There had been a grizzly seen in the area daily for the past few days. He had posted signs as they normally do in such an instance warning people of the frequent sightings. He said that the very WORST thing a female hiker could do was to go in the woods during her menstrual cycle. When I asked my wife (since she's a vet)about his statement, she whole-heartedly agreed. Mammals depend on their sense of smell to do most everything....eat, detect enemies, and BREED. Now, whether these coyotes you saw were interested in breeding, or EATING, is open to conjecture.

this says otherwise. let the debate begin.........

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/images/...trual_Odors.pdf

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3809511

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/menstruation_data.html

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

But if what I said is false and open for "debate" (which I'm not going to carry on with) then WHY did they also post the following?...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Precautions

Although there is no evidence that grizzly and black bears are overly attracted to menstrual odors more than any other odor, certain precautions should be taken to reduce the risks of attack.

The following precautions are recommended:

1. Use pre-moistened, unscented cleaning towelettes.

2. Use internal tampons instead of external pads.

3. Do not bury tampons or pads (pack it in - pack it out). A bear may smell buried tampons or pads and dig them up. By providing bears a small food "reward", this action may attract bears to other menstruating women.

4. Place all used tampons, pads, and towelettes in double zip-loc baggies and store them unavailable to bears, just as you would store food. This means hung at least 10 feet above the ground and 4 feet from the tree trunk.

5. Tampons can be burned in a campfire, but remember that it takes a very hot fire and considerable time to completely burn them. Any charred remains must be removed from the fire pit and stored with your other garbage. Also, burning of any garbage is odorous and may attract bears to your campsite.

6. Many feminine products are heavily scented. Use only unscented or lightly scented items. Cosmetics, perfumes, and deodorants are unnecessary and may act as an attractant to bears.

7. Follow food storage regulations and recommendations so you can avoid attracting a bear into your camp with other odors. All odorous items that may attract bears, including food, cooking and food storage gear, toiletries, and garbage, must be kept secured from bears.

Back