What's Next???

AzWill

A question for the boys with all the tricks up their sleeve...

Let’s say that howling is the newest technique for calling coyotes to come along in the last decade. I recall a time when howling was used just for locating coyotes and that was about it.

Anyway, what will be the next big discovery as far as a new sound, or technique, when it comes to calling coyotes?

I know some of you boys haven’t told us all your secrets as of yet.

Come on Wiley, I got a feeling you’re holding back on us...time to fess up...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Will, good question, I have no idea what the next move will be. I think it will be an ongoing process to continue to find new sounds that turn coyotes on. Yeh, I have some vocalization tricks up my sleeve but I need to maintain an edge while working with stock killers. When every one starts using coyote vocalizations, I will probably go back to the rabbit call. LOL! What works best for me is what doesn't seem to work for others. Wiley E

Probably old hat to you guys, but I am reviving a start-stop project of some time back.
It's a radio-remote controlled rabbit that rotates. Drive is a car's wind-shield wiper motor with 12v rechargeable 7.2 Ah battery. This is mounted on the same base as the speaker. I swapped 5 dead jackal for this stuffed rabbit with only one ear. Planning on fitting a second (though longer) ear. This will confuse the jackal since he had never seen said weird species before. He will then go and call his buddies and all of them will come to help identify the new breed of rabbit.
I'm sure it'll work.

Critr Gitr; Lochi thinks just like us
smile.gif
, But he hunts BIGGER PREDATORs
biggrin.gif
Then the little yotes & cats we hunt.

Just think of calling in a Big African Lion with a rabbit call and his radio-remote rabbit instead of a little "Ol" state side mountain lion.. "G" some day I'll make it to Africa
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

What's next? What more do we need? If something works, don't fix it.

But, while gazing at my crystal ball a moment ago, I saw a possibility. I give this stuff away all the time, so if one of you get rich from it, remember to give credit where it is due.

Fooling a coyote's nose. The common wisdom around these parts is that it can't be done. I believe it. However, I have had coyotes approach me from down wind, smelling me, and refusing to budge. Refusing, that is; until I start sending a stream of misted rabbit urine in his direction. Some say that skunk will do the same thing, and I believe it, I prefer to use the rabbit urine.

Okay. It works, depending on how you define "works" at least half the time. What happens is that the coyote will sniff the air and smell me, and smell rabbit urine. I only need him to hold still for five or ten seconds, and if he does that, within range, he's a goner. Every once in a while, for whatever reason, a coyote will disregard all the warning signs, and come in from downwind. It's not supposed to happen, but it does, and I'm positive that the coyote smells human. So, big deal, every once in a while,he will come in close.

Okay, now everyone has heard of the work being done with moths and what attracts them to each other during mating. Can't remember what the chemical is called, but the whole key to attraction is a very small amount of this substance. Somebody knows the word that I'm thinking of, help me out here.

Anyway, let's say we come up with a HEATED utensil (container) that will project a MEGA DOSE of rabbit urine and SEX hormone, and count on the coyotes being so involved with the olfactory stimulation that they all come in. Picture the movie, "JAWS" where they are spooning all this putrid blood and fish guts into a slipstream, and the sharks follow this trail right up to the back of the boat. Sure, they know the boat is there, but they approach anyway. Can we see the correlation?

Don't think I'm simply talking about putting a little lure or scent in the air and thinking this is going to be the next big advancement in predator hunting. No, it has to be so overwelming that a coyote can't help himself. We might be calling coyotes from five miles just by the scent in the air.

I'm speculating that fooling the coyote's most important sense, his nose, will be the major advancement in the sport of predator hunting. Makes it almost too easy, doesn't it?

Comments?

Good hunting. LB

Leonard,

Funny that you mentioned that, because I was thinking along just those same lines last night. My infant son is sick, and I was sitting up with him for awhile. He was sleeping soundly, and my mind started to wander a bit while sitting there. I was concentrating on the vaproizer in his room. Maybe I'm really out in left field, but seems to me with todays technology that something could be made that "released" rabbit urine or something like that at intervals. Sort of like a battery-operated atomizer, or something like that. After all, what we ALL need is one more thing to carry.

Along those same lines, one of the traditional bowhunting legends (G. Fred Asbell, I think it was) wrote an article years ago about fooling a deers' nose. HE claimed that he took chlorophyll (sp?) tablets, available at a health food store, by the handfuls. His claim was that it eliminated the "predator" odor from his body which he believed was the result of eating meat.

Anyway, my prediction for what's next? Another "new" caliber. The .22/6mm is gaining popularity here in Texas, called the .224 TTH for Texas Trophy Hunters. And I've also heard rumors of something brought out by Weatherby like a .22/240 Weatherby or something.

ScottD

They use those "timed scent emitters" in the restrooms here at work. every five minutes they go "pssst". and theres a waft of starwberry in the air.

Mounted high on the wall... Dont know if they are AC or battery powered or if the timing is adjustable.....

Maybe talk to a "Facilities Maintenance guy"
but then theres the issue of getting scents into the unit... probably pressurized.

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

In these days of high tech, something may even aim and shoot for you,what fun ha, for me its going back to,common sense, one time helping a rancher, with yotes problem, no matter what we did, they would not show, so we used bait,fish carcases,after filleting ,about 50 fish, we put the fish in large zip lock bags, and froze them, then, wrap them in chicken wire, hang them high on a limb,in the sun,and made holes,at 6am, came back at 6pm,after a 90degree day, we sneak in and found 8 yotes, got three, the next three days we got ten, the smell, must have gone out 5 miles, what a smell.

The restroom deoderizers i've seen usually run off two D batteries and just have something like a can of Mountain Breeze Lysol, or Beach Fresh Lysol, or Pine Forest Lysol, or Spring Bouquet Lysol.
i think a little motor drives a cam over the top of the spray can and off she goes.

i betcha some models allow adjustable timing.

You know, they usta have scents in theaters, used in conjuction with the movie. i think it was a fad, didn't last long, though.

So how do you get that dead fish smell into a can? Perhaps a new scent by Lysol: Three Days of Fish Rotting in 90-Degree Sun Lysol.

640_spray.gif

OH, yeah... that's the ticket.....

Leonard, I've been trying to tell guys about a coyotes nose and the use of spraying rabbit and coyote urine into the air for sometime now, you know some of us have been doing that for a long time and you also know once the coyote gets stright down wind if he don't come in, he will sure stop and test the wind giving you a good shot most times, I also think its the kind of country you hunt too, if your in open country like say Nevada, it works fine, but I'm not so sure it would work in alot of places back east. I have been messing around with another idea for sometime now, I'm not a trapper, but I know they use lures to get animals to come around, I've tried it a few times and it seems to work, I put the lure out in mid day and come back at night, guess what? most times there is a predator around, I'd say about 70% of the time there is one or more there, I remember one time I went to Fishlake by myself and did what I just said, did it for two nights and took 17 animals by myself, I remember one cat, two badgers and the rest were coyotes, I've done this more then once and it seems to work, or I'm real lucky hehehe, GOOD HUNTING TO ALL.

Back