Re: How long should I make a location howl?

d2admin

Administrator
coyote_220 --

Uhhh... glad you're making good howls, but i just wanted to clarify, in case Rich didn't, that the castration band goes on the howler, NOT on you....

NO good howl is worth doing THAT to yourself.

Coyote,
Real coyotes make both long and short howls so you don't need to worry about five second howls not working. Short howls will work just fine. Also the more you practice on your howler, the stronger your lungs will get. It is like any other type of exercise. Try this little trick next time you get a vocal response and you want to bring the coyote on in for a shot, give him some pup squeals to listen to. Five seconds of pup squeals will be just fine too.

Encore223- Yes Rich did point out the fact that the castration band is for the howler. I want to shot a coyote really bad but not bad enough to do that either OUCH!!
biggrin.gif

Rich- Thanks again for the pointer however I just figgured out how to make a coyote like howl I think a pup squeal will have to wait. Do you offer instructional tapes that can aid me on my howling, challenge barks etc.

Thanks
Shawn

Coyote,
Send me your mailing address and I will see that you get an instrucional tape.

Greenside,
Coyotes will respond to the howls of another coyote. Don't worry too much about coyote "language" right now. Go to my website and click on the cow horn howler sound. Coyotes will answer that sound.

hello Greenside the howl I am talking about is the femal invitation and yes it does have a bark first.

Rich I will send you an email with my address and once again I thank you. Just send me a bill for the tape and shipping.

Thanks
Shawn

Wish you guys had said something about the castration band earlier...thanks alot! I thought it was there to improve the air flow from my diaphram. They really ought to put instructions in plain english on those dang things. I guess I can cancel the adoption and start trying again.

[This message has been edited by Big Jerk (edited 12-17-2001).]

Nah. I'm over 40. Don't need 'em anymore. I figger the savings in shaving cream alone will outweigh any confusion caused by their loss.

Originally posted by coyote_220:
Encore223- Yes Rich did point out the fact that the castration band is for the howler. I want to shot a coyote really bad but not bad enough to do that either OUCH!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Handgunner,
My own belief is that it probably makes no difference whether or not you yip or bark a time or two before the howl. Generally my first howl will be a howl only followed by a few seconds of silence, then a couple of barks and a howl followed by a second or two of silence, then another howl. Coyotes do their howls both ways, so it probably don't matter much. I just like to mix it up a little. That is just me I guess.

Back